Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cummins and Merc joint venture (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24122-cummins-merc-joint-venture.html)

boathead 05-11-2002 07:03 AM

Cummins and Merc joint venture

Is this a dream come true or just a tease? Could I really replace the inferior gasoline mills in my PQ with the awesome Cummins B5.9 or even C8.3 turbodiesels?? Who needs a rear bench anyway, with a couple straight 6' Cummins Turbodiesels I would Rule.

Praying for a pair of smelly , rattling, smoky Cummins in my boat.
boathead

MIAMI - Feb. 14, 2002 - Cummins Marine, a division of Cummins Inc., and Mercury Marine, a division of Brunswick Corporation, today announced the formation of a 50/50 joint venture to supply integrated diesel propulsion systems to the worldwide recreational and commercial marine markets. The joint venture, Cummins MerCruiser Diesel Marine LLC, will be headquartered in Charleston, SC.
Under the terms of the agreement, Cummins will supply diesel engines 15 liters and below, including certain electronic displays and other hardware. Mercury Marine will supply the Mercury 1.7 liter, 2.8 liter, 4.2 liter and 7.3 liter diesel engines, drive units for stern drive applications and their SmartCraft(R) electronic integration hardware. The joint venture aims to become the premier worldwide supplier of integrated diesel marine propulsion units.

"Mercury Marine has been working for some time to establish the company as an industry leader in the diesel marine propulsion segment," said Patrick Mackey, President of Mercury Marine. "With this joint venture, we are positioned to offer customers a complete range of products with exceptional customer support. A unique set of competencies is required to be successful in the diesel marine propulsion business, and this partnership is positioned to excel in this business," added Mackey.

Cummins, the market leader in North America and Australia for recreational marine diesel engines, will leverage its expertise in the engineering of diesel engines into marine applications through enhanced integration opportunities.

"Partnering with Mercury Marine presents an opportunity to provide completely integrated vessel propulsion, power generation, control and information systems," said Joe Loughrey, Executive Vice President and President, Engine Business Unit, Cummins Inc. "The system integration capabilities of the joint venture, combined with the global support capabilities of Cummins and Mercury Marine offer a unique opportunity for a very successful business from day one," said Loughrey.

Separately, Scott Patrohay, General Manager - Cummins Marine, was named President of the joint venture. "I look forward to the challenges of bringing together the exceptional brand recognition and products of our two companies," said Patrohay. "Cummins MerCruiser Diesel Marine will create a new level of customer value from helm to prop by combining our leadership in these markets," said Patrohay.

Cummins will retain its current high-horsepower commercial marine and auxiliary power business, which will continue to be headquartered in Charleston, South Carolina. Mercury Marine will retain its traditional gas engine propulsion business.

Mercury Marine is a division of the Brunswick Corporation, headquartered in Lake Forest, Illinois. Brunswick Corporation is a manufacturer and marketer of leading consumer brands in the marine engine and boating markets as well as the recreational fitness, bowling and billiard markets. Mercury Marine's home page can be found at www.mercurymarine.com.

A global power leader, Cummins Inc., is a corporation of complementary business units that design, manufacture, distribute, and service electrical power generation systems, engines, and related technologies, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, and emissions solutions. Headquartered in Columbus, Indiana (USA), Cummins serves its customers through more than 500 company-owned and independent distributor locations in 131 countries and territories. With 24,900 employees worldwide, Cummins reported sales of $5.7 billion in 2001. Press releases by fax can be requested by calling News On Demand (toll free) at 888-329-2305.

CigDaze 05-11-2002 10:36 AM

That sounds...ummm...GREAT!...

...If you're into that kind of thing! :p :D

Intolerant1 05-11-2002 11:55 AM

I wouldnt mind a pair of GM's new quiet diesels but the Cummins are known for being the loudest. Just think, no more mesquito spray !

Steve 1 05-11-2002 02:44 PM

Now using what Out drive? Sorry I meant which one are they going to sacrifice?

Best Regards
:p

Cord 05-11-2002 04:35 PM

Actually, to be honest, they don't stink, rattle, or smoke. And the turbo wine is kinda cool. But you guys are correct in that you won't find many in high performance boats.

(My uncle has a volvo diesel in his 40' Dorado)

mcollinstn 05-11-2002 11:37 PM

I love diesels.

My Sea Ray has Cats in it. Runs 39, cruises at 32 gets 1.6 mpg at 32. Starts first revolution every time. Fuel won't explode. Fumes won't explode. Exhaust won't kill you with carbon monoxide. Insurance is cheaper too. Fuel costs 0.28/gallon cheaper (where I boat). Motors'll last forever (with proper maintenance). RPM follows throttle lever, making it easy to set desired speed (no backing off once on plane). Narrower than bigblocks to boot (but fairly long indeed).

Same boat with 502 Horizons runs 38, cruises at 29 gets 0.7 mpg at 29.

I can put 20 people on it, top off all the tanks, and let the algae grow hair 1" long on the hull. Still charges out of the hole and turns the same 2850rpm that it turns slick and empty (loses 3mph but turns the same revs - extra prop slip I guess).

Paid extra for the oil burners but have never regretted it.

Other boats burn the more common gasoline. Formula has 502s. No room for diesels and no sterndrive that can handle them (no performance stern drive anyhow).

I love my diesels, but agree that for an inland performance application that they are hard to justify. If I lived on the coast of FL, though, I'd have a 42 footer with diesels and surface drives, hands down. Range, power, torque, and indestructible drives.

M

velocity260 05-12-2002 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
cummins never smoke I dont know where you got that from;)
twin 420hpdiamond series here, on my parents boat.

Steve 1 05-12-2002 12:19 AM

Now with diesels the main word used to be Longevity like 12000 or more hours The Yamaha 420 diesels I was going to use in some of the Gunboats were rated around 20,000 hours by the Factory, but they were on the Heavy side Also.

How long do you believe the Sea teks will run in race form?? Ill tell you about one season! And doing the math 8-10 Races x 2 hours 20 hours and its rebuild time. They are not cheap either Plus the fact no bottom end torque. Hey I am not bad mouthing them. Just should use the term racing diesel. Or high performance. They use diesel fuel is all! Anything else is a play on words, The Aluminum Yanmars how many hours? (Heard 700-900) Christ I could not give those to the military.

The Arnesons better have a long Dive Platform, Cause if you Fall off the back and you’re very dead via dual blenders. On a real diesel what else are you going to use? Think about this a 6 cylinder 4 stroke Diesel every revolution you get three sledgehammer blows to the driveline since the RPM is in the 3000+ range everything happens very quick, that is from Idle to max RPM Na these new engines just use the same fuel is all. Now MTU another story that’s a Diesel!

Best Regards:)

boathead 05-12-2002 07:24 AM

Give me oil burners and a prop on a stick anytime...

Alright , what's with all the animosity?

DIESELS RULE!!! Once you've had a diesel(even the QUIET GM diesel:D !). With the proper trans and an Arneson, a gas engine can't touch 'em.
Everyone has their preference, and the HP 500's in my boat are pretty good units, but if I had the $$$, and a bit larger engine bay , I'd have a pair of Cummins 8.3's or Cat 3126's and run 2300 rpm all day.....and let the so called "performance boats" pass me while I'm cruising at 70, I'll pass a lot more gas pumps and repair stations on the way while they refuel or BREAK :cool: !

Peter, you're right, they don't rattle, smoke ,and stink when they're in factory trim, however, you can make 'em do it! The little 5.9 in my Ram smokes a bit when I mash the throttle passing the gas engine trucks(those TST upgrades really work)! And it's also a bit noisier since I put 4" exhaust and a Big Honkin' Air Filter on it, and as far as stink, well there's nothing like the smell of fresh diesel in the morning.......

Steve , I agree I would never use Yanmars, they're toys. Give me the real diesels, Cummins, Cat, Detroit/MTU's, MAN's,Deutz's, etc, none of that aluminum crap-especially in a marine application with the heavy torque loads and all. I see Fountains using 'em(Yanmars) in the 42's and selling 'em to the gov't as patrol boats. Wait till they start breaking. They're probably OK for running a generator or something, but as propulsion engines no way, might as well stick with gas!

Cord, you're right the turbo whine IS COOL, took the silencer ring out of my truck engine so I could hear more, I get a lot of positive comments about the way my little Cummins sounds.

Rudolf Diesel was a Genius, he's my hero!!!!!! :D :D

Ruben Bermudez 05-12-2002 07:49 AM

Yan-grenades and other strangers...

The Yanmars are the ONLY engines
I've ever custom installed
with a measurement marked on the blueprint
from the crankshaft centerline to the overhead
FOR PISTON REMOVAL.

Had to explain to the owner
that those last 200RPM
were for running away from waterspouts
or lightning storms ONLY,