Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Have you ever had a big shark swim by your boat? >

Have you ever had a big shark swim by your boat?

Notices

Have you ever had a big shark swim by your boat?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been snorkeling in the bahamas and had a couple run ins with nurse sharks, they are harmless, still a little uneasy when you are a few feet from one under water. They also follow boats a lot, just waiting for people to throw food in the water.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Did you release them? Sharks are being seriously over fished.
They were released, given free health care and had their unemployment benefits extended. Feel better?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Be in a row boat, drop line fishing off the coast of Maine and have a face of a seal or sea lion pop up out of the water right next to you. Scares the crap out of you!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Edit

Last edited by buck183; 10-24-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Made my point.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Went shark fishing about ten years ago in KW and brought about a 5' er black tip back and is on my wall as we speak.

Didn't a young surfer get chewed up this past week, whose over fished, do you mean the swimmers/surfers or who.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Registered

We see them regularly down here. Bigger problem is stingrays. I stepped on one yesterday. F'er got me in the bottom of my foot. (Guess I shouldn't have stepped on him)!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 PM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was 9 years old we were fishing/trolling Boca Grande pass for mackrel. I was driving a 17' center console and my Grandfather went up to the bow to take a leak. On the port side a hammerhead came to the surface right next to the boat. I swear it was as long as the boat. Thank God I didnt panic and hit the throttle or Grandpa would have been bait !!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by whoya
We were in FL and had a dolphin swim close and scared the **** out of us at first when that fin popped up. Maybe just beacuse im a Lake Erie boater and not use to it.
Was wondering if any big ones have ever came up to your boat.

Last week I was doing some fishing out at Guadalupe Island down off Baja on my 35 Cabo. The boat has a 13 foot beam and we starting loosing fish to the sharks so we started to look around. Just then, we had a great white swim by our stern and it was longer than our boat width. My guess was it was 15 feet or so which is common for the island.

I guess national geographic has some research shows filmed out there on the Great Whites.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:22 PM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

What was Quinn's line in the movie JAWS... Something like.... " SHARKIN AINT LIVIN.. SHARKIN IS SURVIVING" !!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Registered

We were out fishing 50miles offshore on our 30' sportfish, anchored and chunking. Very calm day, werent catching anything. I was sitting on the tower looking down over the stern of the boat when I saw a big shark approaching from the port side, dorsal and tail fin out of the water. He went under just enough to clear the bottom of the boat, and he stuck out on each side of the 12' beam boat. Came back up on the other side and continued on his way.

Biggest one I have ever seen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.