Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How often do you re-pack/replace your trailer bearings?? >

How often do you re-pack/replace your trailer bearings??

Notices

How often do you re-pack/replace your trailer bearings??

Old 05-11-2002, 11:53 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How often do you re-pack/replace your trailer bearings??

Just wondering. I replaced mine last summer, early. June I think. They have about 4000 miles on them, with regular shots of grease into the bearing buddies. Should I remove them and repack them again this year??? Or just make sure they have grease???
Old 05-11-2002, 12:06 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends on how your grease system works. My 97 Eagle has drilled axles and greases the rear bearing first, and pushes the old grease out the front bearings, so when I see new grease, it has been completely refreshed with new grease , there is no reason to pull this system apart every year. If yours does the front bearing, then the inner ones never really get greased and should be pulled apart annually.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:17 PM
Intolerant1

Well I just blew rear seal off mine while punping grease in thru the buddy bearing so I guess its greasing the rear bearing. I usually add grease until it starts to come out the little weep hole on the buddy bearing chrome sleev toward the front. The hole must have had somthing plugging it cause I kept pumping till bang...the rear seal let go. My axle are solid but the grease still gets back there.

Old 05-11-2002, 12:25 PM
VIP Member

Mike,
I usually check mine every spring by getting the wheels off the ground, turning them slowly listening for any sound and then check for any freeplay. I then pump in some grease to push out any moisture. I disassemble and repack every other year. So far after thirteen years I have only found one bad bearing and I always trailer my boat.

See you at LOTO

P.S. Have you got the motor back in yet?

Dave
Old 05-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Registered

Mike. YOU DON'T NEED NO STINKING BEARINGS I would just lift them and check for back and forth movement. If you greese them often you should be fine. Let me know when you need a chase boat. I am really sick of this non event spring. If it doesn't warm soon I will just put on the dry suit and forget the tan. But be careful as said above you can blow the rear seal and make a mountian out of a mole hill.
Old 05-11-2002, 01:01 PM
Registered

Thumbs up great topic

I was just wondering about that myself. I guess I'll just check'em and greas'em.
Old 05-11-2002, 01:07 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Intolerant,

Sorry thats the part I left out,,, that style tends to build pressure, then like you said ,,,,,,,, pop !!!!

I prefer to pull non drilled axles once a year,,, it doesnt take all that long, and that way you know there ok,,, not just guessing/hopeing !!!!
Old 05-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With my drilled axles I flush new grease trough them every fall so that if there is any water in them it gets pushed out. I also add grease every third time out. Whith the bearing buddy type you are only supposed to add grease untill the piston starts to move and then stop. Whit this type I used to pull them apart every fall.
Old 05-11-2002, 04:17 PM
flylevel

How often should you repack or replace the wheel bearings,
If you drive alot you should repack at least every other year, check the bearing for play and replace if needed. It don't take that long to repack all the bearings. Take the time to inspect the bearings once and a while, unless you like to replace bearings when you are along a highway! Why take any chances.

Old 05-11-2002, 05:13 PM
Registered

Default trailer bearing graduate

Oh I could spin yarns for hours about trailer bearings but I have learned from experience on the shoulders of life's highways. The most important thing is the grease you use. It has to be waterproof, don't use the auto brown every day stuff. It will disolve in water, trust me. NAPA sells some of the nastiest grease known to man made by Castrol called pyroplex blue but I'm sure that there is other stuff out there just as good. They also sell a double lip inner seal that works very well to keep water out in the first place. Several trailer experts have told me that the best thing to do with bearing buddys is to throw them in the woods, that they cause a false sense of security and that you can't walk by them without pumping grease in and eventually blowing the seals out without realizing it. After several "incidents" when I first bought my trailer I had to replace both axles and all the hubs and after using the good grease and the double lip seals I've not had another problem in three years. Salt and fresh, tows up to six hours each way. Good luck with yours.

Quick Reply: How often do you re-pack/replace your trailer bearings??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.