About to sell boat - Need Help >

About to sell boat - Need Help

Notices

About to sell boat - Need Help

Old 05-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to sell boat - Need Help

I have purchases agreement to sell our boat within the next week So, now I need to get another very quickly.

Tough question - I am from Michigan and am wondering if it is a good idea to purchase a used boat from Florida? If a boat is rack stored and flushed after each use, would there be much salt water damage on the engines, drives, electrical equip, interior of boat etc? Your thoughts are much appreciated!!!!

The boat we are considering is a Formula 37 or 40 Super Sport 1999 - 2000.

Might also get a 38 go fast from the great lake area.

Thanks guys
Old 05-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Registered

I thought there was only sand in Shelby? I would stick with fresh water. No amount of care can stop the salt from damaging the internals. Low hours helps but you would want to check things out very well. See you on the dunes.
Old 05-11-2002, 06:07 PM
Banned

If I were you, I would purchase one from up north. Salt water begins damaging them as soon as you put it in. Good flushing helps, but it won't stop it. Even a FWC system isn't as good, because when the engine is running in salt water, there is some salty air ingested thru the carbs and the salt spray gets on the outside of the manifolda and all other metal surfaces. Not only is it a matter of salt, the northern boats are only used 4 to 6 months a year, and are usually covered. The Florida sun is much more intense on upholstery too. When I bought a used engine for my boat, I bought it from Ohio where I know there isn't any salt water.
Old 05-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally would never buy a saltwater boat that was more than 1 or 2 yrs old. Every boat Ive seen come up here (mostly cigs) have been rough and required lots of work. These boats were said to be in great shape and looked pretty good but everything from the macerator to sink pump to oil coolers had to be replaced. Things you never expect like, electrial problems, taking off a drive ,or pulling a motor turns into a nightmare real fast. Just my opinion from what I have witnessed. Glad to see you sold it, even if you dont buy mine! Ive been getting atleast a call a day and have a guy from Wi. comming fri. that seems serious(he's bringing his wife). Goodluck. Jim
Old 05-11-2002, 06:52 PM
Registered

Your opinions were my thoughts. Comparing prices is what gets you thinking about a southern boat. With some of the boats I was looking at, it was anywhere between $30 - $50 cheaper.

We really don't want a boat older than 1999, preferably a 2001. I just hope the deal goes through so we can have a new boat by Memorial Weekend.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:07 PM
SunseekerNY

Dear Vyper:

As I have stated NUMEROUS times, simply get a surveyor to check out the vessel, period. At the very, very least, the peace of mind is worth it.

The reason I never recommend a specific surveyor is because it is HIGHLY unethical. You can find a qualified marine surveyor at the NAMS web site. They (He/she) can usually be there within 48 hours.

Best regards and happy boating,

Jennifer

Old 05-11-2002, 10:11 PM
Registered

One thing to keep in mind when buying a northern boat. They only get used 5 months a year. You buy a 5 year old boat, and it only has 2 1/2 years use.