Y U Need Life Vest & ENG. Cut-Off Switch >

Y U Need Life Vest & ENG. Cut-Off Switch

Notices

Y U Need Life Vest & ENG. Cut-Off Switch

Old 05-14-2002, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Shark...a friend just called to ask me about this story a couple hours ago...he was afraid it was one of my "boat friends"...glad it wasn't...but very sad to say the least...

First thing I said was, he must not have had his lanyard attached... ...and no jacket....

Just have to be smarter than that....Damn shame....
Old 05-14-2002, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

makes me think twice! a couple of Lifeline poker run jackets are on the way .......
Old 05-15-2002, 07:53 AM
Registered

I am with you sonic dude, just order two lifeline poker run jackets, and two mustang jackets for the kids.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:59 AM
MikeStar

This was mentioned on another board (discussing this same story) - make sure you buy a second lanyard or set of lanyards and put them someplace safe on the boat - here's why.

Let's say me and the Mrs are out tearing up the lake, and I get tossed. Now, as a responsible performance boater, I had my lanyard attached and a lifejacket on. The lanyard kills the motor, and the lifejacket keeps me from drowning, but the Admiral can't start the boat without the lanyard.

Now imagine of the driver is unconcious, or seriously hurt - the person(s) left on boat can only drift along and watch.

I never even thought about this until Bill272's wife, the lovely and talented freckles, brought it up. Words of wisdom - get an extra set of lanyards and let everyone on board know where they are, just in case something happens to you (God forbid).

Old 05-15-2002, 09:19 AM
Registered

My kill switch works differently.
I have a toggle switch that the lanyard hooks onto. If the lanyard is pulled off the switch is flipped down. Even if the lanyard is removed a passenger can reset the switch with their fingure by simply flipping the switch up.
Now the ploblem......can they drive the boat.
Whenever I wear my lanyard ( which admittedly is not as often as I should ) I tell my passangers how to over ride it but have not necessarily let them drive. Although I have shown my girlfriend, past and present, I would not take those kind of risks with them in the boat.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:40 AM
Registered

Good point though, my switch can be operated manually, but I'm probably the only one (in the boat, or it that case, out!) who knows about it.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:46 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

GOOD POINT!!!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 05-15-2002, 10:48 AM
MikeStar

On my most recent boat (currently boatless ), the lanyard was a clip that held a springloaded button in the 'down' position. Remove the clip - or even just get it a little off-center - and it cut the current to the ignition. I just assumed that they all worked the same way; goes to show ya what happens when you assume!

Old 05-15-2002, 05:24 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Another suggestion on Kill Switches. Be sure they cut off your fuel pumps as well!!! Let's say your engine shuts down but the fuel pump is still pumping and a line breaks. Another disaster could possibly happen..... Obviously this would be for Outboards with auxiliary pumps... or electric pumps on inboards. Kill the motor and kill the fuel pump. Good rule of thumb......

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !