New Boat Owner 29 Scarab Need Help >

New Boat Owner 29 Scarab Need Help

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am new to the power boat world. I have been around water my whole life, had various boats jet ski and so forth. I have had a 1988 donzi 26ish with big block and 1992 Baja 226 both of which would hardly plane out. So I call this my first fast boat. I pick it up tomorrow!!!! Its a 1998 Scarab 29 with twin 350's. Has Hardin exhaust and thats about all I know about it. Its missing the hatch pad and rear seats so it anybody has any of that for sale please let me know. Looking to find out more about this boat, how to make it faster etc. Where a good place to buy new gauges as previous owner said they are faded and old looking.. What can be done to this boat? I know you will laugh at me for this but what is the proper way to winterize this boat. Supposed to get snow friday so I want to make sure its done before it gets cold enough to hurt anything. Is there any shows around here and or expos to goto to learn more about this sport and see whats available? Any good companys to get catalogs from? Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Registered

Go to the scarab owners forum on this site and search. Pretty popular boat with tons of info.
Good luck
Old 11-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Registered

OK new here, didnt know there was a section just for that. Thanks alot
Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Chances are that a 1998 boat with all the gauges faded out ,probably went many years without being properly winterized anyway. Good luck with your new boat, and welcome to OSO
Old 11-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by frankenstein
Chances are that a 1998 boat with all the gauges faded out ,probably went many years without being properly winterized anyway. Good luck with your new boat, and welcome to OSO
I didnt know the prper procedure for winterizing the engines and drives to prevent future damage. I have a powersports store here in Erie PA, just got set up with livorsi. So if any one needs any products supplied by them I will be sure to pass on the savings. Did some googling on the winterization. Seems simple enough. Guy I got it from told my driver to dump 9 gallons of antifreeze in after she warms up. Does it really require that amount?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msg16428
I didnt know the prper procedure for winterizing the engines and drives to prevent future damage. I have a powersports store here in Erie PA, just got set up with livorsi. So if any one needs any products supplied by them I will be sure to pass on the savings. Did some googling on the winterization. Seems simple enough. Guy I got it from told my driver to dump 9 gallons of antifreeze in after she warms up. Does it really require that amount?
I always take out the themostats before I do it and drain all the block plugs that I can get to and then hook up the muffs and pump 6 gal through each engine just to be sure . did you buy the one in cicero NY
Old 11-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 767 Likes on 350 Posts

My bigblocks start spitting out AF after about 5 or 6 gallons even with the large straingers, oil coller, and PS cooler....
Old 11-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Registered

Did you buy the red and white one that has been on ebay and craigslist for a while?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cwc5775
Did you buy the red and white one that has been on ebay and craigslist for a while?
I did buy it off ebay, was in brewerton NY. Dont know how long it has been on there for. You guys say pump antifreeze into it.. What do you use to pump it through? I was under the assumption you took a small peice of hose and connected it to the flush connection on the back of the boat started them and dumped AF into it? You make me alittle nervous when you say it has been on ebay for awhile, wonder why nobody else bought it. Was 20k a good deal on that boat needing some work?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msg16428
I did buy it off ebay, was in brewerton NY. Dont know how long it has been on there for. You guys say pump antifreeze into it.. What do you use to pump it through? I was under the assumption you took a small peice of hose and connected it to the flush connection on the back of the boat started them and dumped AF into it? You make me alittle nervous when you say it has been on ebay for awhile, wonder why nobody else bought it. Was 20k a good deal on that boat needing some work?
I know the boat one of my friends looked at it like 5-6 months ago it wasn't bad just the engine cover is going to be hard to come by you're prabably going to have it made and there was no way to find out what was done to the motors without tearing them down they're not stock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.