Notices

Thoughts on giggle gas

Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works for drag boats but not offshores due to prop problem and eating engines and drives. I think if you could bring it in gradually (there are systems that do that) and you are sane about its use it could work but eventually it will eat parts.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
You really can't prop a boat correctly to run NOS.
Sure you can. Hate to disagree with you Griff, but I know first hand at least on my application it worked great.

Off the bottle my engines turned 7800-8000rpm and performed great. On the bottle they turned 8600-8800rpm. Same props. It just added to the acceleration and top speed. These engines really came to life on the juice! Reliable too. Only failure in 5 seasons I had was a broken prop shaft when punching off around 50mph on the bottle. With no load on the engine it instantly wound-up to around 10,000rpm and took out the upper crank bearing.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a guy on our lake years ago that had NOS on his 272 Formula. The button was right on the throttle arm.

He was always having problems with blowing drives, & not being able to put the power to the prop efficiently. This was back in the late 1980's, and he said 75mph was the best he could ever get it to run, WHEN he could stay on the bottle long enough.