OT:  What causes Truck engine to misfire >

OT: What causes Truck engine to misfire

Notices

OT: What causes Truck engine to misfire

Old 05-13-2002, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: What causes Truck engine to misfire

I have a 99 Expedition and the Service Engine light came. After reading the manual, it indicate the engine could be misfiring. Got out of truck and exhaust was "ticking" and very, very hot. The ****ty thing is, my warranty just expired at the end of February! Truck just turned 36,000 miles today.

Should I take to a Ford Dealership and get racked or is there something easy to fiqure out?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2002, 07:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SES light can be for anything the computer sees that it doesn't like. You have to scan it or you will have no clue where to start. It may be emissions related and covered for 5 years 50k. It may also be transmission related, AC related, or some other system monitored by the ECU. The ticking you are hearing may be excess heat in the catalytic converter which may indicate a misfire, but could be something else. You have to get it scanned, and don't delay too long because if it's running lean you could do more damage.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 excursion is pretty close to 36,000. Makes me want an extended warrenty.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:59 PM
Bo Knows

You didn't say what size engine you have. If it's a 5.4 the most common cause of an engine skip or misfire is the # 4 coil pack. Thats the last one back on top of the spark plug on the passenger side. What happens is the hose connection above the #4 coil pack drips slightly right on top of the coil shorting it out. If this is your problem make sure you tighten the hose clamp after replacing the coil pack & spark plug . Also if you take it to your selling dealer he can make a courtesy repair even after warranty has expired. He may have to charge you a deductable but it's still a lot cheaper than footing the whole bill yourself.

Bo knows