Bye Bye MSD-Built my own distributorless ignition >

Bye Bye MSD-Built my own distributorless ignition

Notices

Bye Bye MSD-Built my own distributorless ignition

Old 11-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
The Whipple Stage X motor that Dustin built for me has the same setup...no distributor at all..dual knock sensors..individual coils etc...It runs off the Mefi IV computer.

Chris
I thought yours was the first one that Dustin did with a Mefi. I may be wrong though. A guy that helped me does a bunch of work with Dustin as well.

This is definitely not a new concept. I am not claiming that I am revolutionizing the industry with this. This is the first one for me with a bunch of parts that I either made myself or had made. My main reason was to solve a problem that many of my customers have been having with crappy distributors.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.
Eddie
Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
No, the customer can not change the settings. There is some aftermarket software for making a few changes to a Mefi, but the ecm is password protected. Each engine does have it's own particular timing curve based upon what they have.
Eddie
Can a second curve be set up with a toggle switch for use of different fuel and boost.
or do you just use the knock control.
Can it be programed for different firing orders and number of cyl.
I dont know much about the Mefi.
With a 58 tooth trigger wheel it seems that a cam sensor may not be needed.

thanks Darren
Old 11-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Registered

Yes, it can run 2 different fuel and spark curves. You don't want to rely solely on the knock protection. It is a HUGE help in stopping detonation, but it is not a fool proof savior. When it pulls out timing, the egt's will go up. That will make it more susceptable to detonation, which will take out more timing, which will raise the egt's, and so on and so on. It becomes a vicious circle. Knock protection is a great asset, but it is not going to save a 1200 hp engine running wide open on 87 octane.
You are correct that it doesn't need the cam sensor. It can run in wasted spark mode without it.
It can be made to run any firing order you wish.
Eddie
Old 11-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Yes, it can run 2 different fuel and spark curves. You don't want to rely solely on the knock protection. It is a HUGE help in stopping detonation, but it is not a fool proof savior. When it pulls out timing, the egt's will go up. That will make it more susceptable to detonation, which will take out more timing, which will raise the egt's, and so on and so on. It becomes a vicious circle. Knock protection is a great asset, but it is not going to save a 1200 hp engine running wide open on 87 octane.
You are correct that it doesn't need the cam sensor. It can run in wasted spark mode without it.
It can be made to run any firing order you wish.
Eddie
Wasted spark mode would be firing two cylinders at the same time? is this correct. I dont see where that would be a problem?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Registered

Yes, it fires on every stroke. It isn't a problem. It will run just fine in wasted spark.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:53 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice job.
My engine tech are doing pretty much the same set up on my 572.

Mange
Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

I guess I did not know do the distributor less ignition was such a big deal or i would have put these pics on here sooner..(boomer)..

here is an engine we did 3 years ago
this made alot of people scratch there heads.... distributor less ignition on a carburated engine.. we laser cut the 58x wheel also but took the time to put a little design into it also to make it look better and take out some weight..
we did it to be able to have all the adjustments to ignition that a fuel injected engine could have it just happens to be on a carburated engine....
Attached Thumbnails Bye Bye MSD-Built my own distributorless ignition-26287455673_orig.jpg   Bye Bye MSD-Built my own distributorless ignition-26287455705_orig.jpg   Bye Bye MSD-Built my own distributorless ignition-26287655855_orig-2-.jpg  

Bye Bye MSD-Built my own distributorless ignition-26287656048_orig.jpg   Bye Bye MSD-Built my own distributorless ignition-58x-timing-wheel-2.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool stuff!

Chris
Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
I guess I did not know do the distributor less ignition was such a big deal or i would have put these pics on here sooner..(boomer)
It's not. I didn't claim to have built the friggen space shuttle. Again, just showing what I did to remedy a problem.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAL MAN
Not that new, Dustin has the whole set up as well as a few others.
Ditto BIG Daddy i remember Tysons set up a few years back and thought i was a pretty cool idear and that lazer 58 wheel was the chit but between the last half dozen motors have'nt experienced the MSD probs yet .maybe the probs are just in salt water applications , or boats left in the water or on a lift ..
good luck Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.