Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Jayboat, Pete B and Jeff Helmkamp great Key West shots..... >

Jayboat, Pete B and Jeff Helmkamp great Key West shots.....

Notices

Jayboat, Pete B and Jeff Helmkamp great Key West shots.....

Old 11-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can say for sure that Tim has taken some great shots of my boat on a couple different occasions , and his prices were very reasonable!
keep up the great work Tim!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Ditto, and Imax, i don't even look at other photogs threads, nothing but spam, very little content and all watermark.
I'm confused. The first post in this thread DID NOT mention any other photographers' names other than Jay, Pete, and Jeff. The quote above DID NOT mention anybody's name other than Imax. Why would someone ASSume that either one of these individuals were referring to them? Past history, maybe? Irregardless, I personally appreciate ALL the pix that ALL the photographers (professional and hobbist) take the time to share with us. Thanks again and keep them coming!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was a little offended but no biggie. I haven't done enough events this year to count anyway. I'm just glad Pete, Jay, and Jeff are still at it. I'd venture to say that all of us do it because we love boating and like photography. It definitely isn't for the money. Honestly the only reason I started doing it was in hopes of being able to cover my costs to go to different events. It somewhat worked but only after spending weeks after the events working on custom posters and calendars to come up with something different. To me that was well worth it because I enjoyed doing both.

Just curious your thoughts on this watermark?http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/p...pr-2010-a.html

I started watermarking mine after I was handed a business card at an event with one of my photos on it from another photographer that was just getting started(Not from this board).

http://www.performance-images.com/Powerboats
Old 11-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not bad at all. Jay's is actually done very nicely, but I'm sure cropping could eliminate his. Some are pretty robust, but done for a purpose, as you pointed out. (pretty darn tacky when a photographer uses another photographer's pic in his business card)

I can't imagine the energy, money, and number of hours required to do what you guys do. Obviously, the more $$$ you can make, the better it is for those of us that love your pics. The unbelievable advantage of having more than one great photographer is just icing on the cake. Every one of you has a different eye, different vantage point, and offer things that no single person has the time or ambition to do themselves. (not really the skill-set either).

I'm sure everyone has their favorite photographer for one reason or another. The huge watermarks are a turnoff one right after another. But the alternative might be to only have a few shots instead of many. Everyone likes a free lunch, as long as someone else funds it.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

I don't like opening a thread titled " SBI/OPA/OSS 2010 " to only see endless old photos of the previous years event used as a promo.
or
Adding to that thread only to be more current then other photographers.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:23 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stainless
I can say for sure that Tim has taken some great shots of my boat on a couple different occasions , and his prices were very reasonable!
keep up the great work Tim!
Thanks !

Should you need a new AVATAR just let me know....

I would be happy to provide one for you...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Registered

holy crap, what has your life come to when you complain about a free photo on the internet?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Exactly
Old 11-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

Jupiter Sunsation thanks for the intent of this thread, it was very nice and appreciated.

As far as making any money from offshore racing and poker runs; I have made next to nothing. What I have received is worth more to me than money. I have been able to be a part of poker runs thanks to Bill and Jon (they know who they are). I travel as much as I can to take pictures of boats because I love the boats and the scene, and I love taking pictures of the boats.

I am considered a professional because I make money from drag racing photography, senior pictures, and some weddings. I do offshore for fun.

For me, Key West is the best and something I look forward to every year. I have been going to Key West and other venues every year since 1994. I travel all the way knowing I'm not going to recoop any money spent and I'm fine with that.

Jeff Helmkamp