Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Jayboat, Pete B and Jeff Helmkamp great Key West shots..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/242434-jayboat-pete-b-jeff-helmkamp-great-key-west-shots.html)

Jupiter Sunsation 11-14-2010 01:41 PM

Jayboat, Pete B and Jeff Helmkamp great Key West shots.....

You guys have the best shots of the week and they are enjoyable to view with subtle watermarks!

Keep up the great shooting!:drink:

dykstra 11-14-2010 03:08 PM

agreed!!

offshoredrillin 11-14-2010 04:08 PM

Ditto, and Imax, i don't even look at other photogs threads, nothing but spam, very little content and all watermark.

AugiePensa 11-14-2010 07:56 PM

Yeah, Thanks Guy's.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 11-14-2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3252900)
Ditto, and Imax, i don't even look at other photogs threads, nothing but spam, very little content and all watermark.

I see you posted "Photogs", meaning more than one of us so if it includes me, here are my thoughts:

I used to be able to put up pics with only my logo in the bottom corner. That is until I found my images stolen, printed and also found my logo clearly cut off the bottom and put on a person's FaceBook account.

Jay too found an image of his stolen and printed on a Banner at an OSS race site.

I wish I could afford to post my images without watermarks but with the serious investment in equipment I have made, (a few thousand $$$ more just this week) I guess I would rather have a few people not bother to look at them because of a faint watermark on them than not protect the images.

I guess some people forget the little things like expenses to cover these events as well as the equipment and effort put in to bring the images to the Forum.

Whatever........ :rolleyes:

To the guys that provided the content and time from the Worlds in Key West, great job !

Hopefully you can get a few sales to at least cover your expenses...

offshoredrillin 11-14-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES (Post 3253040)
I see you posted "Photogs", meaning more than one of us so if it includes me, here are my thoughts:

I used to be able to put up pics with only my logo in the bottom corner. That is until I found my images stolen, printed and also found my logo clearly cut off the bottom and put on a person's FaceBook account.

Jay too found an image of his stolen and printed on a Banner at an OSS race site.

I wish I could afford to post my images without watermarks but with the serious investment in equipment I have made, (a few thousand $$$ more just this week) I guess I would rather have a few people not bother to look at them because of a faint watermark on them than not protect the images.

I guess some people forget the little things like expenses to cover these events as well as the equipment and effort put in to bring the images to the Forum.

Whatever........ :rolleyes:

To the guys that provided the content and time from the Worlds in Key West, great job !

Hopefully you can get a few sales to at least cover your expenses...

If the money sucks then stop your whining and quit, plain and simple, this thread was complementing other photogs and SUBTLE, as usual you have to interject and make it about you. Well being as you did include yourself, I personally think that the people that do it for the sport and use subtle watermarks as when Pete shrinks it down and just rests it in the boat like a decal are photographic geniuses. If someone wants the image bad enough they will get it, just like in anything else, so go ahead and ruin the art if you choose..but keep in mind its that attitude that makes magazines contact other photogs and not you...;)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 11-14-2010 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3253045)
If the money sucks then stop your whining and quit, plain and simple, this thread was complementing other photogs and SUBTLE, as usual you have to interject and make it about you. Well being as you did include yourself, I personally think that the people that do it for the sport and use subtle watermarks as when Pete shrinks it down and just rests it in the boat like a decal are photographic geniuses. If someone wants the image bad enough they will get it, just like in anything else, so go ahead and ruin the art if you choose..but keep in mind its that attitude that makes magazines contact other photogs and not you...;)

I would have never had to respond but you had to bring in "others" instead of keeping your post to those mentioned.

As far as mags go, I've been contacted plenty of times.
Let's not forget they all are struggling in this economy so if they can get something cheap or better yet, for free they will take it !

Catastrophe 11-14-2010 08:32 PM

Tims point re recovering expenses is very very true.

Any photographer that can take pics at a wedding or stay in a studio and shoot clothes or furniture or cars or whatever has no where near the expenses or risk that our guys do.

Our guys travel long distances and are always at the risk of bad weather at these events.

They are also for the most part doing all this without any idea if they will make any money at the end of their weekend.

The wedding photographer , the fashion photographer and any other pic guy knows what he is going to earn before he leaves the house.
Not our guys.

When you add up the travel days and the production hours after they shoot, they make peanuts.

We are all very lucky that they love this hobby of ours.

I know a couple of them have very large investments in equipment, Tim being one of them.

Their art is their pictures, it is their life and their livelyhood.

To use their pics without compensation or permission is stealing.

Not to mention their efforts are a huge part of the enjoyment of logging on this site.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 11-14-2010 09:05 PM

Thank you Alec.

Seeing as he doesn't view my threads, he must of missed Key West 2009 photos without interfering watermarks:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...-images-2.html

Leaving the images in clear view certainly didn't help with sales....

Who knows, perhaps it hurt them ?

VtSteve 11-14-2010 09:26 PM

I appreciate all of the photos you guys take, it's obvious who the real pros are. It's a funny thing to hear crap about watermarks. It's a very expensive hobby to begin with, let alone be able to have top notch pics. To have someone complain about watermarks? It's the ultimate insult because as many know, some of the cheapest prick$ in the world demand the best, whine and complain when there are no more, and want it all for free. Maybe everyone that owns old boats should be able to receive discounts on old photos? Or maybe they should just pony up $100 and buy their own damn camera?

The photos Jay and other produce are crazy good. The fact that there are some incredibly cheap people in an expensive sport? Go to Kmart and get a cheap copy.