Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   GPS for Christmas. Which One? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/242934-gps-christmas-one.html)

rjr 11-22-2010 04:01 PM

GPS for Christmas. Which One?

I thought I would give my boat a new GPS for Christmas. Too many to choose from any thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

I am thinking a small chartplotter would be nice but I am concerned that a small screen would be impossible to see bouncing around at speed. I have to stop to see my handheld chartplotter. but I do not have a feel for how much larger you need to have. 7" Garmins are pretty pricey. Can you see a 4 or 5" screen?

Thanks

AppSysCons 11-22-2010 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I put a Garmin 492, 5in screen, in my 2007 30/308 Skater when I had it built. It is very easy to read and follow pre-defines routes, at speed.

Location is more important than screen size.

Having said that, I would almost always put the biggest screen I could fit.

Turbojack 11-22-2010 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by AppSysCons (Post 3259070)
I put a Garmin 492, 5in screen, in my 2007 30/308 Skater when I had it built. It is very easy to read and follow pre-defines routes, at speed.

Location is more important than screen size.

Having said that, I would almost always put the biggest screen I could fit.

I see it is not in front of the driver. Can you see it when you are driving?

AppSysCons 11-22-2010 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Turbojack (Post 3259087)
I see it is not in front of the driver. Can you see it when you are driving?

Yes, but obviously I do not stare at it for very long. It is quite bright, and easy to see. I plan out almost all of my trips, with pre-defined routes. They show up as a thick purple line, right over the chart.

5 in screen is plenty, but if you have room for a 7 in, do it.

VetteLT193 11-23-2010 07:09 AM

one thing to consider, if you have engines that are Smartcraft compatible you can get a GPS / Plotter unit that is Smartcraft capable. It's nice to be able to get to the extended engine info as well as have a plotter.

Mine is a Northstar.

1MOSES1 11-23-2010 07:40 AM

we just bought the garmin 541...it works wells and is very visible. i would vouch for buying at least a 5" screen. anything smaller may not be as useful. for $600 you should buy something you will have for multiple season and be fully satisfied with. just my 0.02

Baja_man 11-23-2010 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by VetteLT193 (Post 3259347)
one thing to consider, if you have engines that are Smartcraft compatible you can get a GPS / Plotter unit that is Smartcraft capable. It's nice to be able to get to the extended engine info as well as have a plotter.

Mine is a Northstar.

Which model did you end up with?

450RRRR 11-23-2010 04:29 PM

garmin 640..it can be used on the boat as well as in your car..very accurate...big enough screen.im useing a r a m mount on it .suction cup type. never had it break loose.to be honest i ve never had it in the car..but its a garmin. it would have to work well there to..and it a plotter

omerta one 11-23-2010 04:45 PM

I had the Northstart with the Smartcraft interface; switched it out to a Garmin.

Wildman_grafix 11-23-2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by omerta one (Post 3259740)
I had the Northstart with the Smartcraft interface; switched it out to a Garmin.

Why?