Notices

Am I seriously crazy?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I had no issues when I bought from Shogren.. I even towed up my trade, which lost a wheel in transit on the trailer and tied it up... (that was a ride!) They had the title in hand, though it was in someone elses name. They showed me a document that showed power of attorney over the boat/trailer.

They were very helpful in saving me any way they could.. in my case, it was no taxes due to out of state sale and 10 years old.

good luck!!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interested in a very nice AT? No strings, no loans, no hassles! PM me.

I'm thinking of getting back into fishing.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by bob_t
I've owned 9 boats over the past several years. Never had any issues, or scams, until this last one. I am very anal and do all of my homework, so I was really suprised when I got screwed. I bought a boat from an out of state boat dealer. I had it surveyed, had the paperwork checked out and thought everything was in order before ever contemplating sending a check ... it would have been no different if I was standing next to the scumbag, in person. He faxed me a copy of the title, which was their name and a bank, which was no suprise, since many dealers don't outright own the boats on their lots. I got a notarized original bill of sale from their dealership with their full marine contract on the back, signed by the dealership owner, notarized and signed by me. To make a really long story short, I got the boat, just as described, but he kept making excuses why I didn't yet have the title. He said it would take up to 30 days to get me the title ... the marine contract also said the same, which is typical verbage. After two months, I contacted the bank. He had never paid off the bank and now that they knew I had the boat, they wanted to come get it! ... sounds alot like National Marine, but it wasn't them. At that point things got really ugly. Unfortunately, the court system said that I would have to file civil suit because boats were not under DMV in that state .... so, sorry about my luck. I eventually got it settled, he paid the bank, they transfered the title to their dealership and then their dealership to me, but it nearly cost me my marriage, and me, very close to a nervous breakdown.

What I did wrong, it turns out, I should have put their name AND the bank's name on the cashiers check, not just the dealer. Also found out that I was not the only person that dealership had screwed. Even after 8 flawless transactions, what I learned was don't ever make a check out to ANYONE other than ALL of the parties on the title, INCLUDING, the lienholder, if there is one. If the seller (including dealers) won't show me a copy of the up-to-date title, I'll just walk away ... someone else can have the headache.
Was that the consignment dealer in Stuart, FL?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

CASH, This boat has your name written all over it. I think it's a lot of boat for the money!!
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o37008-en.html
Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For 500 bucks you can hire a transaction (escrow) attorney to do all the paperwork, hold deposits, titles, etc... untill everything is striaght , just like real estate Cash !!
Old 11-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

The OL is sweet !!

Looking at certain ideas now.

Definitely using an document agent.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES
Old 11-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HUH? I thought you had a land animal in mind????

Get a warranty and drive the PI$$ out of it!!!

Had a 3500$ bar tab from LOTO and still got off about 50% of owning H-time for a month.... any further questions?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Crazy? I'm not sure that is the correct adjective.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by omerta one
Crazy? I'm not sure that is the correct adjective.
LMAO. Tommy, would it be addicted or ??