New dock:Lumberock,Azek,Trex? >

New dock:Lumberock,Azek,Trex?

Notices

New dock:Lumberock,Azek,Trex?

Old 11-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New dock:Lumberock,Azek,Trex?

I could use some opinions on what type material to use.Need to cover about 750 sq ft.
Pilings and stringers (20 in centers) are all in great shape so I am just replacing the decking.
Kinda leaning towards Lumberock at $75 for a 2x6x20ft.It resists mold and little to no fade.
Any experiences?Opinions?
Old 11-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

check out www.pilearmor.com
Old 11-24-2010, 07:20 PM
rclaws35
Gold Member

I just used Trex Transcend on a dock we built and I like it a lot. It has a good deep color and the grain looks good. I have been using Azek alot but it sort of soft in the heat. You need to have 16" centers though. If you don't want to change your joist you may get away with using Trex. Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rclaws35
I just used Trex Transcend on a dock we built and I like it a lot. It has a good deep color and the grain looks good. I have been using Azek alot but it sort of soft in the heat. You need to have 16" centers though. If you don't want to change your joist you may get away with using Trex. Hope this helps.
Yup if you are not at 16" centers then keep looking. The other down side to a lot of these composite decks is that it is a LOT heavier! There was stuff that I saw that was nice and light it was hollowed out under it. They said it could go 24" centers.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:19 AM
RL
Registered

I just got a sample of NyloDeck for a dock project we're looking at for next season. Don't have first hand experience with it yet, but it is a composite, and the sample suggests it's considerably lighter than Azek and Trex. The paperwork claims it will span 24".

I am NOT endorsing this product at this point, but thought I would pass the info along. Their website is www.nyloboard.com

Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:28 PM
rclaws35
Gold Member

Azek is not heavy at all. The new Trex is heavy . Trex rep. told me it would most probably go 20" on center just fine>
Old 11-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I have composite on my deck. Its looks great and is easy to care for. No need to seal like you have to do pressure treated lumber. Its not any heavier then lumber and alot less then cement blocks.
Attached Thumbnails New dock:Lumberock,Azek,Trex?-picture-158.jpg   New dock:Lumberock,Azek,Trex?-picture-193.jpg  
Old 11-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by capt2130
I have composite on my deck. Its looks great and is easy to care for. No need to seal like you have to do pressure treated lumber. Its not any heavier then lumber and alot less then cement blocks.
Looks great!
What brand?
How long ago was this installed?
Where did you get the "crash pads" at the V?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks it comes in handy. One side for a dock box, the other for getting in the open bow and for waxing the boat. I think the composite may be Timber Tech but am not for sure. It came from Meeks Hardware and it is 5/4 X 6 X 10' or 12'. The dock is 3 years old and I built the V-extension 2 years ago. I made sure it was the same brand as what the dock was built from. I got the rail moulding at either West Marine or Bass Pro.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

When I redo mine (hopefully this winter) I am going to use that TREX board I believe. The thicker the better so it avoids that wavy look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.