Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Classic Trailers, Inc. Sandusky, OH - Where are they now? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/243327-classic-trailers-inc-sandusky-oh-where-they-now.html)

tamburello 11-30-2010 06:36 PM

Classic Trailers, Inc. Sandusky, OH - Where are they now?

I need to locate the VIN number on my 1994 boat trailer manufactured by Classic Trailers, Inc. in Sandusky, OH. Any idea where to look on the trailer for a VIN number?

The trailer was repainted and I can't find the VIN no. anywhere. I need to be able to show it at the DMV to register the trailer. Any information would be much appreciated.

- Jeff

omerta one 11-30-2010 07:29 PM

Didn't Ray Zalinski buy'em out?

mattyboy 11-30-2010 07:58 PM

Jeff,

just went thru this with my new old boat and trailer.

I had to show a picture of the VIN for dmv, it was not on the trailer but i had a copy of the old registration from the previous owner. to make a long story short I had that VIN number from the old reg stamped into the trailer then took the picture. then got the trailer registered. not sure about where you live but in NY there is a homemade trailer option( like you made the trailer) but there are limitations to size and weight. with this way they give you a VIN to put on the trailer.

hope that helps

tamburello 11-30-2010 08:42 PM

Thanks for the advice Matty.

When I went to the CHP office to get a new VIN issued I had the original bill of sale from 1995 with the HIN and trailer VIN on it from when the boat was sold new. I also had the original Michigan trailer registration and the registration when I got new plates.

The ChiP officer told me I needed to have proof that I tried to research the company that built it. I told him that I did and couldn't find any information. And that was after he researched it himself and found nothing. WTF - nothing like a catch-22.

- Jeff

mattyboy 12-01-2010 03:04 AM

Jeff,

so more info , the dmv gave me 2 options to prove the vin was on the trailer
1. a clear picture of it where the numbers could be read
0r
2. go to the local PD and have them read it and verify it. basically have them fill out a dmv form.

I choose option one , went to a friend that had a stamp kit cost me a case of brew. thankfully it was an old trailer from 68 so the vin it had was only 6 numbers and no letters.

another thought would be go to a trophy place have them make a plate with the vin number off your bill of sale .stick it on the trailer

c_deezy 12-01-2010 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by omerta one (Post 3264107)
Didn't Ray Zalinski buy'em out?

That was Callahan :D :drink:

tamburello 12-01-2010 09:58 AM

Thanks Matty. I have the original bill of sale so maybe I'll get a new VIN plaque made. Seems like the easiest way to go.

- Jeff

blownincome 12-01-2010 04:41 PM

Jeff look under your tail lights (pop them out) might be a small tag with the trailer ser# behind them left side most likely but might be rt..if they are rubber mounted sealed