Coast Guard Vessel Documentation Number >

Coast Guard Vessel Documentation Number

Notices

Coast Guard Vessel Documentation Number

Old 05-14-2002, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coast Guard Vessel Documentation Number

I think the number has to be "permanently” affixed to the vessel in the engine area. How did some of you do this? I still have to do this, and was wondering what others have done to meet this requirement.

Old 05-14-2002, 12:17 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Yep, me too. I thought about possibly etching into the transom bulkhead. Problem is they have to be 3 or 4 inches high...

Rick
Old 05-14-2002, 12:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I bought some stencils from an office supply store and spray painted the numbers on. I've seen others done this way, and they passed a CG inspection in Miami last year. I may still have the stencils if you need them...
Old 05-14-2002, 12:35 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Apply vinyl and clearcoat over them
Old 05-14-2002, 01:33 PM
bschoe

Phantom,
Here it is verbatum 46CFR67.121/Official number marking requirement."The official number of the vessel, preceded by the abbreviation ``NO.'' must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals not less than three inches in height on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed to the vessel so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious. If the official number is on a separate plate,the plate must be fastened in such a manner that its removal would normally cause some scarring of or damage to the surrounding hull area." It does not have to be in the engine space. For recreational boats I like CIG1's idea the best. The clean way would be to etch or router the number in a stringer and then re-seal it with resin, painting alone doesn't meet the requirement nor does screwing or glueing the placard, however most don't get too excited about it on a recreational boat. Try to find a place where the number can be viewed without entering the compartment or pulling up cockpit carpets, etc. - this will make the boarding go that much smother. Also, if your state requires that the boat be registered as well, the state numbers shall be removed from display on the vessel. I hope I didn't make it more confusing.
Brad

Old 05-14-2002, 02:46 PM
HavasuCat

Good question, the boat I am buying will be documented and I don't want to do anything that would be ugly when you open the hatch. Does anybody have any photo's of how they have applied the numbers/letters?

I was told by Dick Simon Marine that the boat will be exempt from state sales tax if it is documented. Is this true?

Old 05-14-2002, 03:16 PM
ssherman

Nort I just use vinyle block letters and have been inspected by MO water patrol US Coast Guard and broward county sherriff and none of them have said anything mine is my my knees at my drivers helm.

BTW did you get the photo's

Old 05-14-2002, 04:07 PM
Registered

Originally posted by HavasuCat
Good question, the boat I am buying will be documented and I don't want to do anything that would be ugly when you open the hatch. Does anybody have any photo's of how they have applied the numbers/letters?

I was told by Dick Simon Marine that the boat will be exempt from state sales tax if it is documented. Is this true?

Also.........delivery of the vessel has to be out of state, and kept out of the state for 91 days.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:02 PM
HavasuCat

Cool... I had to sign the 90 day paper on the current boat for the out of state delivery, but it was not documented so I payed AZ sales tax. No tax sounds good to me. See you at Havasu.

Old 05-14-2002, 06:49 PM
Steve_H

its true you dont have to pay sales tax but they still make you pay a "registration fee".

i thinks its around $750.00 for missouri.

Quick Reply: Coast Guard Vessel Documentation Number

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.