Teague 800's  What motor oil to use? >

Teague 800's What motor oil to use?

Notices

Teague 800's What motor oil to use?

Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

From the Amsoil Website...

"Please note: Prior to Harley Davidson releasing a synthetic, we have found that many Harley-Davidson technicians were telling customers that synthetic motor oil is "too slippery" and can cause flat spots on roller bearings because the bearings won't turn. Now that Harley-Davidson has their own synthetic, they don't mention that to much any more. It is both scientifically and chemically untrue. The person telling you that is not a tribologist (lubrication engineer) and knows absolutely nothing about the science of lubrication. If they did they wouldn't be telling you such untruths. "

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chang...vidson-oil.php
Old 12-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teaguecustommarine
I do not recommend any other synthetic other than the Dominator, to slippery for a hydraulic roller.
TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE
www.teaguecustommarine.com
Bob made a mistake by putting in print years ago that synthetic oil was too slippery. This is clearly a ridiculous statement and it's time to nut up and admit your error. To try and stick to this obvious falsehood does nothing but bring your credibility into question..
Old 12-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
From the Amsoil Website...

"Please note: Prior to Harley Davidson releasing a synthetic, we have found that many Harley-Davidson technicians were telling customers that synthetic motor oil is "too slippery" and can cause flat spots on roller bearings because the bearings won't turn. Now that Harley-Davidson has their own synthetic, they don't mention that to much any more. It is both scientifically and chemically untrue. The person telling you that is not a tribologist (lubrication engineer) and knows absolutely nothing about the science of lubrication. If they did they wouldn't be telling you such untruths. "

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chang...vidson-oil.php
Good find. Interestring to see who the oil company was that has made the statement above. (Amsoil)

I agree that if you have a warranty and they recommend you to use a special motor oil, then use it.

Bob may have had some engine falures where he saw that synthetic was the reason for the damage/falure. If so maybe he can explain why he is saying it is too slippery and the oil company that is his sponsor is saying no such thing as too slippery.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojack
Good find. Interestring to see who the oil company was that has made the statement above. (Amsoil)

I agree that if you have a warranty and they recommend you to use a special motor oil, then use it.

Bob may have had some engine falures where he saw that synthetic was the reason for the damage/falure. If so maybe he can explain why he is saying it is too slippery and the oil company that is his sponsor is saying no such thing as too slippery.

I'm very interested to see what he has to say. I'm not pointing fingers, or questioning Bob's judgement at all. He has clearly built a great reputation, and his work is top notch.

From a scientific and logical standpoint, I just don't understand how oil can be "too slick."

I had this conversation years ago with another engine builder, he explained that the oil was so slick the rollers would not roll, causing flat spots. But here's the rub...(pun intended) if at any point there was enough friction to begin wearing metal, there would be enough friction to force the roller to start rolling, thereby mitigating the risk of a flat spot. If there is enough lubrication to reduce friction to a point the roller does not even roll, so what? Isn't that the whole idea?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
I'm very interested to see what he has to say. I'm not pointing fingers, or questioning Bob's judgement at all. He has clearly built a great reputation, and his work is top notch.

From a scientific and logical standpoint, I just don't understand how oil can be "too slick."

I had this conversation years ago with another engine builder, he explained that the oil was so slick the rollers would not roll, causing flat spots. But here's the rub...(pun intended) if at any point there was enough friction to begin wearing metal, there would be enough friction to force the roller to start rolling, thereby mitigating the risk of a flat spot. If there is enough lubrication to reduce friction to a point the roller does not even roll, so what? Isn't that the whole idea?
Also you have to remember the same "too slippery" oil is lubricating the needle bearings in the rollers, and because of the small diameter of the bearings, and size of contact(plus alot of other physics) it now takes alot less to spin the rollers.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mercury racing recommends Kendall 20/50 that's what I use.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I ran straight 50wt on a pair of 557s with 871s for 5 seasons never lost a bearing or hurt anything in the engine, vavoline racing brand
Old 10-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was told that the Brad Penn oil has a high zinc content & is good for break in oil to help seat the rings. I have never heard of an oil being too slick but I have seen one of those oil company bearing tests & it did seem that the synthetic oil kept the bearing from burning up longer than straight oil. All I really know is that my 650s have good oil pressure, no noise, & haven't blown up this year @ 40+ hrs on them. I am using Valvoline VR1 20W-50 in them. Randy