Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What to expect from a machine shop????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/243479-what-expect-machine-shop.html)

pgolder 12-03-2010 01:03 PM

What to expect from a machine shop?????

I bout a 311 with 525s that had 75 hrs 2nd time out and lost power found water in a cylinder. I called the shop that built them for them and asked what too do. Reminding him I'm 600 miles away him. He tells me come on down and they'll take care of it. I made some calls around were i live (traverse City) not much luck. Seems im stuck makin the trip. No 1 would give we any warrentee around me. sucks any info?

wjb21ndtown 12-03-2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by pgolder (Post 3266253)
I bout a 311 with 525s that had 75 hrs 2nd time out and lost power found water in a cylinder. I called the shop that built them for them and asked what too do. Reminding him I'm 600 miles away him. He tells me come on down and they'll take care of it. I made some calls around were i live (traverse City) not much luck. Seems im stuck makin the trip. No 1 would give we any warrentee around me. sucks any info?

You'll have a tough time finding a small engine shop that will provide a warranty on a marine engine, or at least a warranty that's worth a damn. One major problem is that they rarely do the rigging, and a lot of motors are blown due to rigging issues. Your issue, for instance, could likely be caused by reversion, improper exhaust, or a failed exhaust component.

pgolder 12-03-2010 04:00 PM

ya i ended up back down there had it fixed and it happened again that time i stayed to see the disasemble and noticed a rusty exhast port i questioned that if the engine and heads presure tested and magnafuxed the block and i got oh ya thats regular prosedure he argued the same thing but it was 4 day old? needless to say he got me a new head put it back to gather and i paid for all the parts. Back togather they tested id in the wather this time seem good. I picked it up by this time ive driven 2400 miles im home 4th july let go run her... just out side the marina put her down and new port motor runs 4900 and other 5200 boat lost 10 mph I"M STEAMIN now im get all kind of excuses but it ended up they for got to port the head 5th comes and were back out port motor puts a rod through the block WOW WTF right. get back down there 600 mile like what is happenin. stay for the disasemble same cylinder WOW dosnt seem that the head or block was inspected magnaflux or presure tests cause the cylender had micro cracks from the first to times it hydro locked. now the motor has all new internals heads and 2 sleaves. both motors are done and have 9 hrs im still very SHELL SHOCKED. wondering if i should take them back out and have some one go through them.

DollaBill 12-03-2010 04:33 PM

It's time to find another shop. write it off and move on. As for bringing it back to their shop thats 100% undrestandable and normal. Find a closer place or choose from one of the best and it will be done the first time

Young Performance 12-03-2010 10:47 PM

Agreed. It's time to find a new shop. These guys do not sound all that familiar with marine engines, or any other engine. Have the exhaust ever been pressure tested?

KAAMA 12-04-2010 09:06 AM

I agree as well, it's time to find a different shop---a shop dedicated towards building/rebuilding RELIABLE hi-perf Marine power with a test dyno available...a shop where "blue printing and balancing" isn't just spoken about, but actually performed. WESCO (Dave Wesseldyk) has that kind of reputation----he just doesn't advertise, he doesn't need to---his reputation speaks for itself. His shop is in Jenison/Hudsonville area located about 10 miles outside of Grand Rapids----only about 170 miles away from Traverse City.

Dave is a very inteligent, talented, no hype country boy that builds anything from mild to wild----it does not matter. He is worth the phone call or better yet, the next time you're in the Grand Rapids area stop by his shop and you'll see some of the hardware he has sitting around, but don't let the glits and glamour decieve you---Dave's reputation is in the reliability of the power he builds. (616) 662-2250

Mark/KAAMA