Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   525 problem (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/243495-525-problem.html)

Joetool 12-03-2010 08:46 PM

525 problem

I ran my boat this weekend which has a pair of 525s in it on my way back to marina one engine would cut out for one second and resume speed again, this would happen every 30 seconds. When idling around it would not happen only when the rpms were over 2000? Had dealer scan computers and found no codes. I checked compression, water in fuel everything checked out fine. I believe it's an electrical problem any ideas would help?

Mykalvballer 12-03-2010 09:05 PM

Load test your batts, i bet you'll find a bad one. had the same issue on last boat. good luck

Young Performance 12-03-2010 10:00 PM

Check all of the grounds very good. Not only the battery grounds but also all of the ones on the back of the engine. They will be on the bell housing. Make sure they are tight and give them all a tug to be sure there are no loose connections. Good luck. Let me know if I can help.
Eddie

Joetool 12-04-2010 09:46 AM

If it was a bad ground why doesn't it do it at idle speeds below 1500 rpm? I will check anyway just to make sure thanks.

Young Performance 12-04-2010 01:16 PM

Because neither the injectors nor the ignition system has much of an electrical draw at idle. That is especially true for the ignition system. The higher the rpms the higher the cylinder pressures and the higher the amp draw on the ignition system.
Eddie

glassdave 12-04-2010 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
also check the main engine plug. Each pin in the plug is split and shoudd have a small gap in it, when these get closed up they can cause some intermittent problems. Pull it apart, take a small screw driver and pry them gently open.

ABT 12-04-2010 01:31 PM

Had an electric fuel pump cause something similar last about 2 springs back. It would be fine until rpms higher than the low 3000s. Over that is would reduce flow for a split second causing power loss that would come right back. Not very familiar with the exact 525 set-up but itmight be worth a look if the grounding checks out.

thirdchildhood 12-04-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by ABT (Post 3266867)
Had an electric fuel pump cause something similar last about 2 springs back. It would be fine until rpms higher than the low 3000s. Over that is would reduce flow for a split second causing power loss that would come right back. Not very familiar with the exact 525 set-up but itmight be worth a look if the grounding checks out.

525 uses an old school mechanical pump. The elec pump only primes the system at start-up (ttbomk).

Joetool 12-05-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 3266857)
Because neither the injectors nor the ignition system has much of an electrical draw at idle. That is especially true for the ignition system. The higher the rpms the higher the cylinder pressures and the higher the amp draw on the ignition system.
Eddie

Ok had a friend ck all grounds and hot leads everything was tight ,also had him check plug end at main harness that was good as well. I wish I could be down at my boat but it is in Fla. right now and I'm stuck up here in NY for now. If it is a bad ground for say then why at 3,4 and 5 thousand rpm does it cut out for one second every 20 to 30 seconds like it shut down and then run fine?