Like Tree0Likes

Phenomenon Update: Look for Record Attempt in Summer 2011

Old 12-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
Wouldn't it be ideal to have one - KILO RUN - for all turbine boats looking for the big numbers?

PS - Matt, thanks for the great coverage from Orange Beach!
That is a great idea, and rumor has it you're pretty well-connected to OPA so ... maybe you guys could organize something in concert with APBA.

As Dave Scott can tell you, setting up a real kilo isn't cheap. But there just might be enough interest to attract a bunch of other takers in addition to Phenomenon.

P.S. You're welcome. Fun to cover.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Registered

My Boats: 32 Spectre 300XSs

[QUOTE=LAriverratt;3269192]
Quote:
Wouldn't it be ideal to have one - KILO RUN - for all turbine boats looking for the big numbers?

now that would be great and should draw a crowd!!! where would ya think the ideal place to do that would be???
Sarasota, during the July 4th boat races.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 29' FOUNTAIN 525SC

[QUOTE=LAriverratt;3269192]
Quote:

now that would be great and should draw a crowd!!! where would ya think the ideal place to do that would be???
Pamlico RiverLOL. Someone had to say it!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
I get what you're saying as I, too, wanted more detail, particularly as to who the "U.S. Naval architects and Boeing engineers" involved in the design were. I don't understand why something like that would be privileged or private information. I really don't. But for some reason, that information isn't being released.

On the plus side, we do know that they're shooting for another attempt this summer.
Matt
I guess the best way to describe it is blue balls. They got us all excited and hyped-up, with the outrageous claim of a big number this year and didn't finish it off. They were shaking hands, slapping azzes, and kissing babies at the Miami Boat Show only to fail on delivering of what they said they would do. Everything is so tight-lipped, for example, the Naval architects and Boeing engineers but, its ok to mention Doug Wright. Its like you were asking them about the Space Shuttle program. I understand safety issues and the need for working them out but, making the claim and setting the date, can and did set them up for failure to produce on that claim. So, now it is tough for me to get excited about the run and them possibly setting the record.

Big Andy

Last edited by BattleCry; 12-07-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Brain moving faster than my hands
Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCry View Post
Matt
I guess the best way to describe it is blue balls. They got us all excited and hyped-up, with the outrageous claim of a big number this year and didn't finish it off. They were shaking hands, slapping azzes, and kissing babies at the Miami Boat Show only to fail on delivering of what they said they would do. Everything is so tight-lipped, for example, the Naval architects and Boeing engineers but, its ok to mention Doug Wright. Its like you were asking them about the Space Shuttle program. I understand safety issues and the need for working them out but, making the claim and setting the date, can and did set them up for failure to produce on that claim. So, now it is tough for me to get excited about the run and them possibly setting the record.

Big Andy
Your apathy is understandable and justifiable. I said as much in a commentary (http://boatermouth.com//index.php?vi...ntent&Itemid=8) after Phenomenon's July 2010 efforts in Sarasota, Fla.,, which why I now get to deal with a PR outfit rather than the team directly.

But that comes with the territory of "commentary," which is a lot different than straight reporting, and I'm OK with it. It happens. As a reporter, I'll continue to follow the story as best I can and keep you posted Phenomenon's progress.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 2009 30 LS7 SKATER 711 sold xvi power

i want to know who the designers are so i make sure they dont design my next project im sorry that front end is hidius and i dont think very aerodynamic just my 3 cents worth but what the hell do i know
Old 12-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports View Post
i want to know who the designers are so i make sure they dont design my next project im sorry that front end is hidius and i dont think very aerodynamic just my 3 cents worth but what the hell do i know
The aerodynamic theory of this planform configuration does have some merit and I give them full marks for innovation -something that is sorely needed in our business. An adjustable canard wing avails the operator some degree of control over the total aerodynamic lift of the boat as well as aerodynamic pitch. The concept is not new have a look hydroplane design. However your instincts are not wrong in that their execution of this aerodynamic planform on Phenomenon has some design issues.

ND1
Old 12-08-2010, 07:07 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
On the plus side, we do know that they're shooting for another attempt this summer.
Who will be in the cockpit ???

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 12-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
Who will be in the cockpit ???
I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE OPPERTUNITY!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:56 AM
Banned

Thnx mods.

Last edited by Catmando; 12-10-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Offending post is gone.