Notices

Wider 42: The Transformational Yacht

Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wider 42: The Transformational Yacht

More pics HERE

December 07, 2010 The Transformational Yacht
The Wider 42 is a new style of yacht for those who not only love to be on the water, but in it as well. The 42 is the first in a trio of Wider models that will create a fresh category of yachts, transforming themselves from slender, go-fast boats into wide-beamed platforms for snorkelers, scuba divers, and sunbathers.
In motion, the 42 looks like a futuristic performance yacht, with a cabin in the bow area and a Jet Ski positioned in its own cradle at the stern. This unusual profile might be a bit jarring to traditionalists, but the big surprises come when the Wider is at anchor. The yacht transforms into a vessel that is straight out of a science-fiction movie. With the push of a button on the helm, two large side sections of the hull or extensions as Wider calls them, fold hydraulically outward, opening up the cockpit and creating a much wider platform. Hence, the name.

Wider, which will launch similar models in 35- and 50-foot lengths, is the brainchild of Tilli Antonelli, who founded Pershing Yachts in the early 1980s. The Italian brand became the king of the performance-yacht segment. When Antonelli left last year, he decided to try a completely new style of yacht, one that mingled speed with access to the water. The Wider 42’s 162-square-foot cockpit is virtually unheard of for a boat this size. So is the 20-foot beam the full-extension configuration creates.

While the 42 will reach speeds of 45 knots with its 370-horsepower engines, it is also extremely lightweight and aerodynamic. Its engines are installed like some race boats—rather than side by side, but staggered forward and back. That gives it a stronger center of gravity for maximum balance. The stepped hull, also found on many race boats, adds another layer of efficiency to the 42’s performance. Mark Wilson, whose hulls have won multiple world championships, designed the right go-fast running surface for a recreational boat.

But helped by yacht designer Fulvio de Simoni drawings, Tilli Antonelli also maximized deck space not only by widening the hull, but also by making sure major components are versatile. The puzzle-like pieces in front of the helm station, for instance, can be arranged into two chaise longues, a lunch table, or single sun deck. The ramp for the Jet Ski (which lowers into the water) can also be converted into a sun pad for sunbathers. The boat’s smart interior, with its kitchenette, seating (that transforms into a large berth), head and separate shower, also makes a nice shelter by day or a weekend sleeping quarters.

The Wider 42 is a new class of yacht, one that allows owners to get somewhere beautiful quickly—a cove in the Bahamas or Catalina Island—and enjoy total immersion in the surrounding waters. (011.39.721.956.077, www.wider-y.it)

— Michael Verdon

Last edited by PhantomChaos; 12-08-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Registered

I appreciate the creativity, effort, and time....... but that thing looks ridiculously ugly.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 3,017 Likes on 987 Posts

quit pluggin your wifes magazine!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank

ROFL!! He get's a click-back bonus just like Google advertising,
Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Registered

Yeah right. I got it in an email today. I think it's a pretty cool design! Here......I'll take off the links for ya! I just didn't want to copy all the pics this morning.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Registered

There......happy !?!?!

Hey Poodle Tank.......you gonna go to the SCOPE Holiday Party Satruday?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is very cool, but slide outs in campers are extremely heavy.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 3,017 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
There......happy !?!?!

Hey Poodle Tank.......you gonna go to the SCOPE Holiday Party Satruday?
Jesus, you'e sensitive too....

Not going to make the party. We have a golf cart poker run / Parade of lights here in Channel Islands Harbor that night...Leaving for Florida at 4 am Sunday too so it'll be an early evening.

Tell that pretty wife of yours I love her and give some knuckles to my boy Jake!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Not my style, but they definitely get points for ingenuity. It is good to see people thinking outside the box and coming up with new ideas. Hell it looks way cooler then a toon.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Registered

Jesus, you'e sensitive too....

Not going to make the party. We have a golf cart poker run / Parade of lights here in Channel Islands Harbor that night...Leaving for Florida at 4 am Sunday too so it'll be an early evening.

Tell that pretty wife of yours I love her and give some knuckles to my boy Jake!!!
Tank......I've asked you before.....stop calling me Jesus!

Bummer about the CI event. Have fun and be safe out there! Wait......Jake's your boy? My wife lied to me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.