Notices

Just Curious

Old 12-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Imagine if facebook charged a fee like OSO, instead of Mark Zuckerburg being a billion air he would be a KA ZILLION AIR!!!
No, Mark would be worth dog-sh!t. If everyone HAD to pay to use FB, the vast majority would simply choose to not pay and find another alternative in time. Just like this place... if they suddenly made it a pay only membership structure, the vast majority of people in time would migrate to another forum. SOS, fastboats, or some other forum that doesn't even exist YET. At some point the majority of people that left here would end up at one other location. Believe me there are plenty of other folks out there that would love to have the traffic (and provide a 'free' home for them, just like FB!) Eventually, the people and advertisers that were paying here would stop paying because the traffic and activity would no longer be worth their while... it would be someplace else (that didn't charge the members).

I'm not sure why so many on here fail to see how this works, it's very basic economics! It's simply a shift in the supply/demand curve. I'm also very much amazed and amused so many paying members here think so much more of themselves and others that choose to add extra pocket lining to the owners pockets. Internet forums do not need to charge the content providers for them to be a quality and successful forum... it's been proven over and over. In fact, pay only structures have for the most part failed for the reasons mentioned above. If some people feel like giving the forum owners money, knock yourself out, but please dont think you're carrying the folks that dont!

Last edited by SS930; 12-15-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

When Steve owned it, I was a paying member. I felt that paying made the site better because it was supporting him and in turn he was personally supporting the site and the community.

Also... I know I didn't pay 75 bucks to get the T-shirt. sounds silly, but if I could pay say 30 bucks to get a paying membership with a shirt I'd be much more willing to spend the dough. I know the shirts shouldn't cost more than 7 bucks each so there is plenty of profit to be had. When Steve was here, I don't know if he ran a special or what, but I ended up with a membership, T shirt, and coozie for a very reasonable price.

I was a paying member on Serious before the 'incident'

I am, and continue to be, a paying member of donzi.net.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm also very much amazed and amused so many paying members here think so much more of themselves and others that choose to add extra pocket lining to the owners pockets.

I read back a bit and didnt see where anyone thought more of themselves because they were paying members.

What I read when I go back and look is that those that are paying are doing so as a thank you for havin a place to hang and arent concerning themselves with the math re IBs profitability nor the " who is who" in value with regards to internet forums.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
No, Mark would be worth dog-sh!t. If everyone HAD to pay to use FB, the vast majority would simply choose to not pay and find another alternative in time. Just like this place... if they suddenly made it a pay only membership structure, the vast majority of people in time would migrate to another forum. SOS, fastboats, or some other forum that doesn't even exist YET. At some point the majority of people that left here would end up at one other location. Believe me there are plenty of other folks out there that would love to have the traffic (and provide a 'free' home for them, just like FB!) Eventually, the people and advertisers that were paying here would stop paying because the traffic and activity would no longer be worth their while... it would be someplace else (that didn't charge the members).

I'm not sure why so many on here fail to see how this works, it's very basic economics! It's simply a shift in the supply/demand curve. I'm also very much amazed and amused so many paying members here think so much more of themselves and others that choose to add extra pocket lining to the owners pockets. Internet forums do not need to charge the content providers for them to be a quality and successful forum... it's been proven over and over. In fact, pay only structures have for the most part failed for the reasons mentioned above. If some people feel like giving the forum owners money, knock yourself out, but please dont think you're carrying the folks that dont!
x2
Old 12-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by catastrophe
I'm also very much amazed and amused so many paying members here think so much more of themselves and others that choose to add extra pocket lining to the owners pockets.

I read back a bit and didnt see where anyone thought more of themselves because they were paying members.

What I read when I go back and look is that those that are paying are doing so as a thank you for havin a place to hang and arent concerning themselves with the math re IBs profitability nor the " who is who" in value with regards to internet forums.
all you are doing is creating a rift between paying and non paying members which is counteractive to your whole "this forum has a wealth of knowledge" and "this forum is so productive" argument...i suggest you stop being a hypocrite.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Out of post context, what part did I miss here? Freeloader is where it's at these days? Forgive me!
what you missed (that others didn't) was the lighthearted, comedic nature of the post. doesn't suprise me. your such an angry individual that's hard for you to discern.

Pay if you want, don't pay if you don't want to, just don't get all up and righteous on those that feel it's worth the money and see some value in this site.
wasn't righteous on anybody. simply stating fact, some opinion, as well as asking the tough question about contibution of helpful hard information.
So again, I ask where's your last project or upgrade pictorial?
Or detailed in-depth assistance to someone?
Looked, pretty hard to find???
Of course, because as some of us know your all MOUTH and little else.

Your value added is marginal at best.
coming from you that is hilarious. 99% of your posts on this forum have been describing the delicious taste of RF's c*ck in your mouth, belittling others and/or thier choices, or just being inflamatory, like following me here, quoting me looking to start chit and appear BMOC, which you never were, and never will be.

besides, your above comment is pretty self-righteous in itself don't you think? Hypocrite.

Far as what I have at home, for sure not one of your closet queens, but it's honest and real. I surely don't view her the same as you do most of yours. Don't think I could sink that low.
Really? Don't forget I know history Mr. Integrity...
closet queen?
don't be a hater...you've never seen me with anything but cuties

speaking of integrity...
nobody wants you to hate on them like you do me
you might vandalize their boat or belongings...
though you might be too drunk or stupid to realize you were seen, like the last time.
bangin' an ho's on the side lately?
using presumed access to anyones' financial info to run your mouth in the boathouse? no wonder that association ended.

P.S I win! Reaction is right on target!
you don't win chit. your a fake. pack it up and go home.
or stay, and continue blowing yourself and others to the contrary.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Must be a slow night at the hospital. Do you even have this chit at home? Or do you just waste your employers time and money on here?
home. but again, what fu kk ing business of yours would that be?
keep reaching for something. we know you don't have much.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No rift from me. I got my answers and understand both points of view completely.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I wish more were like you.

I have read the entire thread and am surprised at some of the comments. People keep commenting about they can get the info for free elsewhere. Can you? Then why are you getting it here? Will you really get the correct info elsewhere?
paying to become a member does not ensure that correct information is being advised...the forum owner would have to moderate this facet, which is not the case

Where else are you going to get a true experts invaluable advice for free and know that it's correct?
because people paid they are now experts? haha

Also, why should the advertisers pay the entire bill? I'm not sure about others, but I find it difficult to put a value on advertising here. I seriously doubt that I get a positive ROI just from my add. I get my ROI from spending hours a day answering questions and giving advice. I highly doubt that someone just sees my add and decides to call me to buy an engine.
your ROI and business success is not my perogotive nor any other members...if answering questions and participating in forum discussions helps your business then so be it, but we dont force you to offer advise. Again as a non-paying member I dont owe this site anything. this holds true for any person(s) browsing the forums.

I'm not doing it to generate business, since the VAST majority of guys I help will never buy anything from me and I know it.
then why complain above?

Last edited by 1MOSES1; 12-15-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could honestly care less who pays and who doesnt. But I cant understand why the non-supporting members are getting so defensive over this subject. One year of OSO is cheaper than one month of directv, and I spend way more time on here. With all those commercials and advertisements, shouldnt my directv be free too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.