Notices

Opinion On Amsoil??

Old 05-15-2002, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Opinion On Amsoil??

I just want to get some opinions/facts about use with amsoil. I have a '99 F-350 with the PSD, 170,000 miles and I always have the trans fluid changed around 12k. I used to get the trans service done for $80.00 (I don't go to this place anymore for personal reasons)I have found a new place who will do it for $125.00 , but they highly recommend using Amsoil synthetic for the trans fluid, BUT, the cost is $200.00!!! I'm wondering if this is justifiable?
1.They say it drastically reduces the temp of the fluid, resulting in a longer tranny life. Is this true?
2.Also, they said you can safely extend the trans service to 20K-25K. Is this true?
3. I have been told before not to use synthetic in a motor that has been using regular oil (non synthetic oil) because it is bad. Is this true for the transmission fluid also?
Thanks OSO's for any input,
Gerard
Old 05-15-2002, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started using Amsoil in my trans on my 1995 F-350 diesel crew-cab dually last season, its got 196,000 miles on it It would be nice to have a trans temp gage to be able to see if there is any diff. in trans temp. I have also ran it in a Pro-Street car that I had that ran in the 11's and it never had a problem, It was running a 4:88 gear with a high stall converter in it...my own opinion is that it is better than the convetional oil but how much better......I don't know.....Fred
Old 05-15-2002, 12:04 PM
Registered

Thanks Fred! Come on OSO, doesn't anyone have any more info????
Old 05-15-2002, 01:10 PM
Charter Member #943

I've used synthetic trans fluid in my last three trucks, 96 1 Ton Ford, 2001 3/4 ton Chevy and a 2002 3/4 ton Chevy. I use AAMCO brand fluid not Amsoil since it's a little less expensive. If you go to AAMCO Transmissions, a Franchise trans shop, and get their lifetime guaranteed service that's what they use. I converted the 96 Ford from standard trans fluid to synthetic at 35,000 miles to help the transition I used AAMCO's synthetic blend for one service then went all synthetic after that. On the 2001 I used pure synthetic at the first service 24,000 miles. The trans runs cooler when towing, based on the factory equipped trans temp gage, and cooler is better. Anyone will tell you that the transmission killers are heat, dirt, and loss of viscosity. I think synthetic fluid improves both the heat and the viscosity, two out of three that's not bad
Old 05-15-2002, 03:37 PM
BTJ88

I have used Lucas Oil products for a whlie now. I've been very happy with them. Not nearly as pricey as Amsoil. But like Fred said, it would be nice to have a guage so I could measure the difference.

Old 05-15-2002, 05:03 PM
Registered

thanks guys!!
Troutly,
how are things? I am going back to Miami the end of this week to get another Cig. No time to play though, gotta have it back in Cali before the holiday weekend! Have a great weekend, maybe you and the wife will get to take out the boat!
Gerard
Old 05-16-2002, 06:54 AM
Registered

I have also been running the Amsoil GL-4 lube in my outdrives the last couple of years....no problems....Fred