Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat death solved 8 1/2 yrs later (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/243812-boat-death-solved-8-1-2-yrs-later.html)

THLWL 12-09-2010 12:23 PM

Boat death solved 8 1/2 yrs later

Dude in boat runs over kids fishing at night and kills one of them, doesn't stop, then buries his boat on his property 8 1/2 years ago. Tip leads to burried boat.

http://www.khou.com/news/Speedboat-f...111599839.html

314joey 12-09-2010 01:17 PM

Guy should have stopped, not to point fingers, but why didn't he, how does someone live with that for 8 years.
Sad story, glad the family is getting closure.

Big Time 12-09-2010 01:22 PM

Might be hard to prove it 8 yrs later after the boat is in pieces and has been burried, presumably, for that long.

animalhouse 12-09-2010 01:23 PM

If I'm not mistaken there is a country song written and performed by James Mc Murty called the governer written about this incident. Pretty chilling song.

HTRDLNCN 12-09-2010 01:31 PM

He should have stopped, that being said he probably had a few beers and even if the kids had been in the middle of lake middle of night with no lights knew that speedboat+couple beers+accident=getting screwed hard even though it probably was not his fault .

HTRDLNCN 12-09-2010 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Big Time (Post 3270668)
Might be hard to prove it 8 yrs later after the boat is in pieces and has been burried, presumably, for that long.

They have been "questioning" him for many days now,thats how they found the boat, he probably confessed already.

Big Time 12-09-2010 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN (Post 3270679)
They have been "questioning" him for many days now,thats how they found the boat, he probably confessed already.

Article said, "A tipster told game wardens that Marburger buried his speedboat somewhere on his Bertram property."

Doesn't seem like a confession yet, but hopefully they are able to put all the peices together.

Racegirl3 12-09-2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by animalhouse (Post 3270669)
If I'm not mistaken there is a country song written and performed by James Mc Murty called the governer written about this incident. Pretty chilling song.

Does the Governer know who killed the fishermen
On the lake last night?
Was the cigarette boat comin' 'round the point like a bat out of hell
Wasn't burnin' his lights?

The cigarette boat is not even legal
The lake's too narrow to be goin' that fast
Two fishermen sat in an old green Jon boat
Makin' one more cast

Full moon rising big and pale
That cigarette boat didn't even slow down
It was throwin' up a big old rooster tail
And it ran right through 'em with a sickening sound

Does the Governor know who killed the fishermen?

The game warden's here and the EMS
They hauled up the body with a rope and a hook
They got no leads and no suspects
State trooper says they're not even gonna look

Had to have been some fat cat
Them cigarette boats, they cost many
Can't just anybody buy a boat like that

They can't find the boat, they can't find the trailer
They were watchin' the ramps, big mistake
I'll bet you the farm it's in somebodies' boathouse
It never made the ramp and it's still on the lake

They try to get a warrant...dream all you want
they won't be searchin' any lake front homes
Justice is blind to them that own it
Money don't talk when it's one of their own

HTRDLNCN 12-09-2010 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big Time (Post 3270686)
Article said, "A tipster told game wardens that Marburger buried his speedboat somewhere on his Bertram property."

Doesn't seem like a confession yet, but hopefully they are able to put all the peices together.

Watch the Houston News video, Game Warden states they have been talking with suspect for several days prior to and after his arrest. Boat was not found until after his arrest.
That leads me to believe he confessed once confronted.

animalhouse 12-09-2010 01:46 PM

Thats the song. Sad but evidently true.

boatntrkr 12-09-2010 03:06 PM

I remember when this happend...very sad and I hope they put him away.

H20 Toie 12-09-2010 03:35 PM

Now if they could find the hit and run boat from havasu

SpeedDoc 12-09-2010 08:51 PM

He probably reported the boat stolen to his insurance and got money back, if so he'll get a heck of a felony fraud charge.

HiPerf360 12-09-2010 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedDoc (Post 3271026)
He probably reported the boat stolen to his insurance and got money back, if so he'll get a heck of a felony fraud charge.

I think that will take a second chair to murder.

prred 12-09-2010 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Racegirl3 (Post 3270689)
Does the Governer know who killed the fishermen
On the lake last night?
Was the cigarette boat comin' 'round the point like a bat out of hell
Wasn't burnin' his lights?

The cigarette boat is not even legal
The lake's too narrow to be goin' that fast
Two fishermen sat in an old green Jon boat
Makin' one more cast

Full moon rising big and pale
That cigarette boat didn't even slow down
It was throwin' up a big old rooster tail
And it ran right through 'em with a sickening sound

The game warden's here and the EMS
They hauled up the body with a rope and a hook
They got no leads and no suspects
State trooper says they're not even gonna look

Had to have been some fat cat
Them cigarette boats, they cost many
Can't just anybody buy a boat like that

They can't find the boat, they can't find the trailer
They were watchin' the ramps, big mistake
I'll bet you the farm it's in somebodies' boathouse
It never made the ramp and it's still on the lake

They try to get a warrant...dream all you want
they won't be searchin' any lake front homes
Justice is blind to them that own it

Creepy

Wobble 12-09-2010 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Time (Post 3270686)

the tipster told them exactly where to dig on 10.5 acres. I figure the perp couldnt pay the blackmail anymore

frankenstein 12-09-2010 10:16 PM

I'm sure the song sounds pretty good with music, but the lyrics read pretty prejudiced to me. I don't know the story of the accident, but the words have the "cigarette" guilty, and running with no lights on. Maybe I'm wrong, but I find this offensive. I'm not referring to the accident, someone got killed and someone should pay the price, I just don't like the assumption that a "cigarette" caused the accident. The boat has now been found, ( sort of ), and maybe we can see what kind of boat it was. If it's not a "Cigarette", or anything even remotely similar, I want a revised version of the song. Maybe something like " I'm a moron and jump to conclusions". Sorry, I tell it like I feel it. ( I'm not just defending Cigarette, It's all the idiots that call every "Go-Fast" a Cigarette)

tomtbone1993 12-10-2010 03:16 AM

this is phucked up.....pretty sad. I am surprised I had not heard of this story before.

SpeedDoc 12-10-2010 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by HiPerf360 (Post 3271076)
I think that will take a second chair to murder.

But it will add to his 10yr sentance. I think if he stopped and called the cops and said he ran over a boat with no lights on he'd be a free man today, Now he gots problems.

Sydwayz 12-10-2010 08:54 AM

Wow, totally blown away by this.

4bus 12-10-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by frankenstein (Post 3271094)
I'm sure the song sounds pretty good with music, but the lyrics read pretty prejudiced to me. I don't know the story of the accident, but the words have the "cigarette" guilty, and running with no lights on. Maybe I'm wrong, but I find this offensive. I'm not referring to the accident, someone got killed and someone should pay the price, I just don't like the assumption that a "cigarette" caused the accident. The boat has now been found, ( sort of ), and maybe we can see what kind of boat it was. If it's not a "Cigarette", or anything even remotely similar, I want a revised version of the song. Maybe something like " I'm a moron and jump to conclusions". Sorry, I tell it like I feel it. ( I'm not just defending Cigarette, It's all the idiots that call every "Go-Fast" a Cigarette)

Would it make you feel better if the boat that turns up is a 1998 30' scarab sport? :evilb:

Zerox, Kleenex, Coke, Band-aid, Weed-eater, Jacuzzi......Cig should be very happy and proud there name is the "Zerox" off the high performance boating world.

I only get upset when people call the "cigar" boats :D

animalhouse 12-10-2010 10:01 AM

I agree the song suggests that the cigarette is guilty, and it suggests that it was a cigarette, most likely based on a generalization. But from what I was told it was written based on eye wittness reports of what happened that night. Scary that it looking to be accurate.

f_inscreenname 12-10-2010 05:32 PM

With all due respect to those poor kids.
It’s the same old poor fisherman Vs the evil power boaters. All it takes is one 27 year old blasting around in his boat after dark to make us all look bad.
And I don’t think it was a big power boat. I mean the guy buried the whole thing.

FIXX 12-10-2010 06:03 PM

Fixx

looks like the guy had some equipment handy..you never know they may only find little tiny bits and pieces of it...

northernoffshore 12-15-2010 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 4bus (Post 3271350)
Would it make you feel better if the boat that turns up is a 1998 30' scarab sport? :evilb:

Zerox, Kleenex, Coke, Band-aid, Weed-eater, Jacuzzi......Cig should be very happy and proud there name is the "Zerox" off the high performance boating world.

I only get upset when people call the "cigar" boats :D

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/crime/T...-clues-on-land 16' cig?

RT930turbo 12-15-2010 01:54 PM

He was probably running one of them big high HP 15 outboards in a '9.9' engine cover...

This is a tragic accident, but the fact "Cigarette boats" are blamed for every unsolved boating accident is really getting old.

wjb21ndtown 12-15-2010 02:52 PM

He's not being charged with murder, he's being charged with manslaughter. Given that the boat was 16' I doubt it was a Cig. It doesn't even sound like an offshore, but I guess it could be a mini...

Given the size of the boat I doubt it was a huge deal with an ins. co., but you never know. I know if I killed someone with a boat I certainly wouldn't report it stolen.

Not to be morbid, but I can't believe the guy didn't burn the damn thing... You can burn a 16' boat in a good campfire in one night... Good thing criminals are stupid...

In any event, the song sounds like it is completely false. It predicts a lack of justice (wrong) due to a lot of money (wrong), a house on the water (again wrong), and a large boat (again, wrong).