Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat market 2011...... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/243888-boat-market-2011-a.html)

Jupiter Sunsation 12-11-2010 08:52 AM

Boat market 2011......

Lots of consolidation, mergers, factory re-location etc. in the boat building industry.

With that in mind does anyone plan on building a new boat in 2011?

To make this thread a little more helpful than one word answers (yes, no, maybe) for the manufacturers/ sales guys what would it take to get you to order/build/buy a new boat in 2011?

And Powerball winning/inheritance/windfall is a given that if you did you would buy......lets keep this more reality based to help those that make a living in the industry.

Formulabill 12-11-2010 10:50 AM

Not directly related to buying a boat , but the R.V. industry is re hiring many of its factory employees.
The article did state that they were selling many of the smaller , low end rv's. It looks as if many people are tired of being frugal and ready to start enjoying the recreational side of life again.
Lets hope this same idea carries over to the boating industry and we get many people back on the water.

rsess 12-11-2010 11:33 AM

Well im from toronto canada and we dont seem to have as much trouble with our economy. Plus our dollar has strengthened near par with us dollar. I bought a new 2010 eliminator 28 speedster with 525 efi mercs after the january 2010 boatshow for delivery last may. And i just ordered a 2011 210 super air nautique this month which will be a display model for this years toronto boat show. It seems the canadians are still buying.

BowenCT 12-11-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by rsess (Post 3272180)
Well im from toronto canada and we dont seem to have as much trouble with our economy. Plus our dollar has strengthened near par with us dollar. I bought a new 2010 eliminator 28 speedster with 525 efi mercs after the january 2010 boatshow for delivery last may. And i just ordered a 2011 210 super air nautique this month which will be a display model for this years toronto boat show. It seems the canadians are still buying.

Those are two big-dollar toys, congrats. However, I would have to say that even in Toronto, spending like yours is probably not the norm.

Expensive Date 12-11-2010 11:55 AM

Casually looking will move for the right deal but will have my house paid off August 2011 +/- a month so will be more seriously looking after that.Won't do new no way I am taking that hit again.
The problem the boating and RV industry will face next year is oil will be above 100 a barrel very soon and in my opinion will range between 100-125 for most of 2011.That may dampen any recovery in these industries.Mostly for new boaters that don't realize that fuel is one of the cheapest parts of boating when compared to other expenses.

39 Unlimited 12-11-2010 04:20 PM

I have found it's a great time to buy. Ordered a new Cigarette 39 TG Unlimited this past September and so far it’s been a great experience.

Cigarette owner Skip Braver and dealer David Woods (Pier 57) have been great. With volume down the quality time you get with the builder/dealer increases significantly. In addition, without backlogs virtually every build function improves. I have seen this first hand as I follow our boat thru the production cycle.

Unlike many other builders, Cigarette is not in distress selling mode. Their volume is most certainly down however, as good business people they right sized the company and focused on core competencies - Innovation, Quality and Customer Service. There are other builders doing the same, Nordic, OL, MTI to name a few.

Rippem 12-11-2010 05:25 PM

not alot of middle classers looking at Cigs, MTI's and OL.

why anyone thinks that the upper income 5% of the perf boating community buying these more exclusive brands signal any kind of recovery for the industry, or will do much, I don't know.

the truly (upper) middle class (define in $?), traditionally the majority of this segment will not be reviving the industry with buys in 2011.

39 Unlimited 12-11-2010 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rippem (Post 3272380)

why anyone thinks that the upper income 5% of the perf boating community buying these more exclusive brands signal any kind of recovery for the industry, or will do much, I don't know.

the truly (upper) middle class (define in $?), traditionally the majority of this segment will not be reviving the industry with buys in 2011.

Same applies to all market segments. Buyers in todays market get a better product.

Jupiter Sunsation 12-11-2010 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited (Post 3272355)
I have found it's a great time to buy. Ordered a new Cigarette 39 TG Unlimited this past September and so far it’s been a great experience.

Cigarette owner Skip Braver and dealer David Woods (Pier 57) have been great. With volume down the quality time you get with the builder/dealer increases significantly. In addition, without backlogs virtually every build function improves. I have seen this first hand as I follow our boat thru the production cycle.

Unlike many other builders, Cigarette is not in distress selling mode. Their volume is most certainly down however, as good business people they right sized the company and focused on core competencies - Innovation, Quality and Customer Service. There are other builders doing the same, Nordic, OL, MTI to name a few.

Glad to hear your boat is coming out great, congratulations!

Jupiter Sunsation 12-11-2010 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rippem (Post 3272380)

I have friends/relatives in the yacht industry.....rich people are still getting out of boating and the ones that want to get into it can't get financed.