Like Tree0Likes

Ike Batista On 60 Minutes Last Night

Reply
Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 AM
  #1
PHIL
VIP Member
Thread Starter
 
Phil M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Spring Lake,NJ, - Stuart Fla
My Boats: Bertrams
Posts: 399
Default Ike Batista On 60 Minutes Last Night

For those of you who dont remember who Ike Batista was - he ran a Cougar Cat - and was prepared to offer something like 4 or 5 Million dollars to organize and promote the sport - this around the year of 1990 or so - Offshore needed a big cash infusion to promote the sport- TV, Sponsors - etc. - but thats when OPT started and the groups split up - a shame as the egos of everyone ignored a once in a life time event to really put Offshore Racing on the map - Now look at Ike - still the evervesent attitude on 60 minutes too - Now One of the most Richest people on Earth - and Offshore Racing - well - (you can answer that yourself)
Phil M is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:02 AM
  #2
4FX
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fairport Harbor,OH
My Boats: NONE
Posts: 91
Default

Yup I remember the 50 footer Spirit of the Amazon a killer 4 engine boat. and yes it sucked that the racers looked a gifthorse in the face and turned away from it!!

egos will never change just the faces of them at the races!!!
4FX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 AM
  #3
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Eike had no agenda beyond building the sport he loved to race in. The sponsor's lone request was that the racers in the Open and Superboat class simply agree to commit to one organization for a season in exchange for a 7 million dollar commitment. This threatened the "control" of a bunch of officials, race promoters, and those racers who wanted to be "unique". They voted it down and instead followed OPT into bankruptcy, followed by SBR into bankruptcy, NPBA/USPBA/USOffshore into OPA, and APBA Offshore into a legal morass. Did I forget OSS and Supercat Racing....how about SBI?

Now Eike is the richest man in the southern hemisphere and we have races in puddles.

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 AM
  #4
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: MIAMI, FL
My Boats: 4 BOATS KILLED :)
Posts: 1,262
Default

That showed 'em, Huh?
BROWNIE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 AM
  #5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
ApachePete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sarasota,FL & Saugatuck, MI
Posts: 1,044
Default

We were all set to run Ike's new circuit. He was going to pay to ship our boats to Europe and South America to race. We just had to show up.

Would have been a VERY sweet deal!
ApachePete is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
  #6
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
Eike had no agenda beyond building the sport he loved to race in. The sponsor's lone request was that the racers in the Open and Superboat class simply agree to commit to one organization for a season in exchange for a 7 million dollar commitment. This threatened the "control" of a bunch of officials, race promoters, and those racers who wanted to be "unique". They voted it down and instead followed OPT into bankruptcy, followed by SBR into bankruptcy, NPBA/USPBA/USOffshore into OPA, and APBA Offshore into a legal morass. Did I forget OSS and Supercat Racing....how about SBI?

Now Eike is the richest man in the southern hemisphere and we have races in puddles.

T2x
true , now is anyone selling your old videos I have a few from around 1987.
are you in any of the old ff videos from jeff?
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 PM
  #7
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
For those of you who dont remember who Ike Batista was - he ran a Cougar Cat - and was prepared to offer something like 4 or 5 Million dollars to organize and promote the sport - this around the year of 1990 or so - Offshore needed a big cash infusion to promote the sport- TV, Sponsors - etc. - but thats when OPT started and the groups split up - a shame as the egos of everyone ignored a once in a life time event to really put Offshore Racing on the map - Now look at Ike - still the evervesent attitude on 60 minutes too - Now One of the most Richest people on Earth - and Offshore Racing - well - (you can answer that yourself)
phil are you reselling videos from nnrt
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 PM
  #8
PHIL
VIP Member
Thread Starter
 
Phil M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Spring Lake,NJ, - Stuart Fla
My Boats: Bertrams
Posts: 399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR TIME View Post
phil are you reselling videos from nnrt
No - Richie and Darren Own the video Library - I only have one film that has never been published from 1996 - that I did for a private guy that owned the copyright - and has since given it back to me - For any and all videos - speak to Rich or Darren -

Your question - did Rich ever appear on a FF video - I seriously doubt it -

There were interviews of Ike Batista in our films too - one that comes to mind was the one in NYC - when he set his proposal -

Phil
Phil M is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:54 AM
  #9
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR TIME View Post
true , now is anyone selling your old videos I have a few from around 1987.
are you in any of the old ff videos from jeff?
I will answer your questions in order.....

1. www.big-seas.com or http://www.historicraceboats.com/dvds.htm

2. Nope....I started with NNRT and went on to ESPN, ESPN2, Prime, MSG, Speedvision, SPEED, TNN, TNT, etc.....all thanks to Phil. He probably regrets putting me in the Helicopter back in 1981....... Both of our lives were changed forever....

Last edited by T2x; 12-14-2010 at 08:02 AM.
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:05 AM
  #10
PHIL
VIP Member
Thread Starter
 
Phil M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Spring Lake,NJ, - Stuart Fla
My Boats: Bertrams
Posts: 399
Default

Never regretted it for a second - always stimulating - interesting - who else could make something that is boring after 15 seconds, and make it interesting - um... thinking of your "Up Close, & Personal" with Love it - Mr. Jepson was it ?

You made the tapes interesting and valuable - who else today - has interviews with the famous racers ?

Here is a job for you and Darren - find the interview(s) with Ike Batista who was just on 60 Minutes - also one with Peter Rhodes who could be a CEO of any Forbes 500 - and also put some running footage - of their boats - too -

Many people here will be amazed at who these people were, and how they ran their teams and boats. For sure - it will drive up your sales -

Merry Christmas Richie - you too Peter and to all

Phil
Phil M is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.