Ike Batista On 60 Minutes Last Night

Notices

Ike Batista On 60 Minutes Last Night

Old 12-13-2010, 02:44 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ike Batista On 60 Minutes Last Night

For those of you who dont remember who Ike Batista was - he ran a Cougar Cat - and was prepared to offer something like 4 or 5 Million dollars to organize and promote the sport - this around the year of 1990 or so - Offshore needed a big cash infusion to promote the sport- TV, Sponsors - etc. - but thats when OPT started and the groups split up - a shame as the egos of everyone ignored a once in a life time event to really put Offshore Racing on the map - Now look at Ike - still the evervesent attitude on 60 minutes too - Now One of the most Richest people on Earth - and Offshore Racing - well - (you can answer that yourself)
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 AM
4FX
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup I remember the 50 footer Spirit of the Amazon a killer 4 engine boat. and yes it sucked that the racers looked a gifthorse in the face and turned away from it!!

egos will never change just the faces of them at the races!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Eike had no agenda beyond building the sport he loved to race in. The sponsor's lone request was that the racers in the Open and Superboat class simply agree to commit to one organization for a season in exchange for a 7 million dollar commitment. This threatened the "control" of a bunch of officials, race promoters, and those racers who wanted to be "unique". They voted it down and instead followed OPT into bankruptcy, followed by SBR into bankruptcy, NPBA/USPBA/USOffshore into OPA, and APBA Offshore into a legal morass. Did I forget OSS and Supercat Racing....how about SBI?

Now Eike is the richest man in the southern hemisphere and we have races in puddles.

T2x
Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That showed 'em, Huh?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

We were all set to run Ike's new circuit. He was going to pay to ship our boats to Europe and South America to race. We just had to show up.

Would have been a VERY sweet deal!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Eike had no agenda beyond building the sport he loved to race in. The sponsor's lone request was that the racers in the Open and Superboat class simply agree to commit to one organization for a season in exchange for a 7 million dollar commitment. This threatened the "control" of a bunch of officials, race promoters, and those racers who wanted to be "unique". They voted it down and instead followed OPT into bankruptcy, followed by SBR into bankruptcy, NPBA/USPBA/USOffshore into OPA, and APBA Offshore into a legal morass. Did I forget OSS and Supercat Racing....how about SBI?

Now Eike is the richest man in the southern hemisphere and we have races in puddles.

T2x
true , now is anyone selling your old videos I have a few from around 1987.
are you in any of the old ff videos from jeff?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phil M
For those of you who dont remember who Ike Batista was - he ran a Cougar Cat - and was prepared to offer something like 4 or 5 Million dollars to organize and promote the sport - this around the year of 1990 or so - Offshore needed a big cash infusion to promote the sport- TV, Sponsors - etc. - but thats when OPT started and the groups split up - a shame as the egos of everyone ignored a once in a life time event to really put Offshore Racing on the map - Now look at Ike - still the evervesent attitude on 60 minutes too - Now One of the most Richest people on Earth - and Offshore Racing - well - (you can answer that yourself)
phil are you reselling videos from nnrt
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
phil are you reselling videos from nnrt
No - Richie and Darren Own the video Library - I only have one film that has never been published from 1996 - that I did for a private guy that owned the copyright - and has since given it back to me - For any and all videos - speak to Rich or Darren -

Your question - did Rich ever appear on a FF video - I seriously doubt it -

There were interviews of Ike Batista in our films too - one that comes to mind was the one in NYC - when he set his proposal -

Phil
Old 12-14-2010, 06:54 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
true , now is anyone selling your old videos I have a few from around 1987.
are you in any of the old ff videos from jeff?
I will answer your questions in order.....

1. www.big-seas.com or http://www.historicraceboats.com/dvds.htm

2. Nope....I started with NNRT and went on to ESPN, ESPN2, Prime, MSG, Speedvision, SPEED, TNN, TNT, etc.....all thanks to Phil. He probably regrets putting me in the Helicopter back in 1981....... Both of our lives were changed forever....

Last edited by T2x; 12-14-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Never regretted it for a second - always stimulating - interesting - who else could make something that is boring after 15 seconds, and make it interesting - um... thinking of your "Up Close, & Personal" with Love it - Mr. Jepson was it ?

You made the tapes interesting and valuable - who else today - has interviews with the famous racers ?

Here is a job for you and Darren - find the interview(s) with Ike Batista who was just on 60 Minutes - also one with Peter Rhodes who could be a CEO of any Forbes 500 - and also put some running footage - of their boats - too -

Many people here will be amazed at who these people were, and how they ran their teams and boats. For sure - it will drive up your sales -

Merry Christmas Richie - you too Peter and to all

Phil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.