Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ever feel like your boat is punishing you for trying to maintain it? >

Ever feel like your boat is punishing you for trying to maintain it?

Notices

Ever feel like your boat is punishing you for trying to maintain it?

Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an oil filter wrench, not sure where the heck I bought it, but it goes on a socket wrench. It actually bites into the oil filter and will crush into it. With that wrench I have never failed to take a filter off... if it fits the filter. Unfortunately I bought it for my Wife's Altima right after we got married and the filter was approximately the size of a thimble so it's pretty much worthless on anything we own now.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:48 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bert4332
"
Every time! There's a thread on some boaters switching to OBs because they are sick of getting their asses kick working in the bilge. I always tweak my lower back and bust a knee cap just about every time I'm down there.
I am one of those guys, and for the exact reasons you mention.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
This summer I found what turned out to be an oil pan bolt in the bilge.
LOL! I had a pretty sizable bolt fall out when I removed my drain plug. Never did find out where it came from. I worried about it the next few times I used the boat, then forgot about it.

I always say that if I was a hemophiliac, I would be dead within a week. I'm always drawing blood somehow.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
I have an oil filter wrench, not sure where the heck I bought it, but it goes on a socket wrench. It actually bites into the oil filter and will crush into it. With that wrench I have never failed to take a filter off... if it fits the filter. Unfortunately I bought it for my Wife's Altima right after we got married and the filter was approximately the size of a thimble so it's pretty much worthless on anything we own now.
I got one of those, haven't been able to find a big one.

Next boat will have a staggered setup or outboards.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

changed the oil in mine right after I purchased it with 32hrs...so it had factory tightened oil filters... use a hammer and a blunt chisel on the top edge of the filters to get them off after breaking two filter wrenches and shredding the outside off of em...they are upside down on my 496hos'... what a PINA that was. I feel for ya!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
I used to have one of those! I managed to snap one of the jaws off of it... i was forcing it onto a slightly too large filter, and using a 1/2" breaker bar, guess I got what I deserved! Great tool while it lasted. No way it would have fit on these.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outboards may be easier to work on, but aren't immune to similar issues....

When I went to change out the water separator on mine for the first time after buying the boat, I had the same issue. Ended up with the whole assembly out of the boat and into the vise to get the damn thing off.

Not to mention, that separator is mounted in a compartment that's even smaller and more awkward to work in than a bilge.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your spin on filters are this tight it's because they were installed to tight in the beginning...

I used to do that before I realized you could leave them one-hand-tight and by the time you need to remove it they take two-hands to remove.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there and done that! I ended up using a chisel and mallet to get it off. The worst part was that I did not have a remote mounted filter head. After that experience I did. Then I sold the boat 6 months later.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear that!. A buddy and I spent over 2 hrs trying to remove 2 filters on another buddies boat. Time we got done, both filters where down to the threaded flange and blood all over. I put the new filters on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.