Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Opinion Poll: Sbi Press Release (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24411-opinion-poll-sbi-press-release.html)

executor 05-15-2002 01:11 AM

Opinion Poll: Sbi Press Release

JASON PRIESTLEY LOOKS FOR FIRST WIN OF THE SEASON AT FT. MYERS BEACH
OFFSHORE GRAND PRIX, MAY 16-19

KEY WEST, Fla. – May 9, 2002 – Star of the hit television series
Beverly Hills 90210, Jason Priestley, will be racing in the 8th annual
Ft. Myers Offshore Grand Prix May 16-19, 2002.

The Jason Priestley Racing Team will be making its second start of
the season and making its Ft. Myers debut. More than 100 miles of
high-speed racing is scheduled to take place approximately 100
yards off the shore of Ft. Myers Beach. The start and finish line will
be behind the Diamond Head Hotel, while the wet pits will be at the
Gulfstar Marine Bridge Restaurant and the dry pits located at Gulf
Water RV Resort. On Saturday and Sunday race times are at 1
p.m. After the race on Sunday an awards ceremony will take place
at 5 p.m. at The Bridge Restaurant, 708 Fisherman's Wharf. This
year the drivers will be racing for prize money totaling $75,000.

“Everyone is fired up for this year’s race as it showcases the most TALENTED and EXPERIENCED DRIVERS
in superboat racing and six to eight of The World’s Biggest, Fastest Boats(TM),” says John
Carbonell, President, Super Boat International.

The Priestley Racing Team will race a 50-foot Jaguar, housing four, 1200-horsepower engines in
the Superboat Unlimited Class were boats are capable of speeds of more than 160 mph. IN HIS FIRST SUPERBOAT RACE PRIESTLY SET A NEW LAP SPEED RECORD of 147.4 mph in the boat Planetman
driven by Tim Ciasulli, of Far Hills, NJ, and Russ Houston of St. Cloud, Fla. The record was
previously held by Miami Vice actor, Don Johnson.

The costs of these machines are enormous, in the Superboat Unlimited Class boats can costs
more than $1,000,000, just to maintain the boat for a year costs more than $800,000. In SBI’s
Superboat Unlimited Class, boats with four engines have 4,800-horsepower. In a comparion to
Nascar it would take more than six, 750-horsepower racecars to equal one superboat.

During the off season last year’s national champion in the Super Limited Class Snack Attack,
driven by Nicholas Lok-Jak and Joe Pires, purchased last year’s national champion in the
Superboat Unlimited Class, Planetman, automatically giving them a slight edge on the
competition. Planetman is a 46-foot Douglas Skater, powered by twin supercharged 1,250-hp
engines and currently holds the world speed record of more than 169 mph.

“We are very excited about the level of competition now with SBI, the racers are committed to
winning and providing a good show for the fans in Ft. Myers and the millions of viewers across the
country,” says Ft. Myers race producer, Dean Clausen.

The rest of the racing field features more than 40 racing boats, racing in 10 classes on a 5.9-mile
racecourse. The classes include Superboat, Superboat Vee, Superboat Unlimited and Superboat
Vee Unlimited, which race 17 laps or 101 miles. Superboat Vee Limited, Superboat Limited,
Super Stock and Super X, which race 14 laps or 83 miles. Manufacturer 1,2, which race 12 laps
or 70 miles and Local 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 racing 7 laps or 41 miles.

“In the 1980’s racing stars like Don Johnson, Chuck Norris and Kurt Russell have all helped grow
the sport of superboat racing, Priestley follows in that tradition and will excite racing fans not only
with his star power, but also his racing ability,” says Carbonell.

Carbonell has been an innovator in the sport of offshore racing by introducing the “inshore” racing
format in 1989. The inshore format allows fans access within 60 feet of a racecourse at some
venues. The course was also shorten increasing the number of laps from 4-5 times to 15-20 times
a race. The new structure has popularized the sport both for the fans and for sponsors, and has
changed the visibility of offshore powerboat racing.

The 2002 SBI racing schedule will continue at Marathon, June 14-16; Sarasota, July 5-7; Deerfield
Beach, July 12-14; Washington, NC, Aug. 2-4; New Jersey, Aug. 14-16; New York, Sept. 6-8;
Bahamas, Nov. 26-28; New Orleans, Nov. 3-10.

For more racing information, call SBI at (305) 296-6166, or visit the Web site at
www.superboat.com.

Note to Editors: Digital artwork is available of Priestley and the superboats at
www.superboat.com/download. To arrange an interview with Priestley contact Tom Decker at
(305) 971-7353 or [email protected].

2002 RACE RESULTS
Miami, FL:rolleyes:

executor 05-15-2002 01:17 AM

Seems to me like there are a couple of contradictory statements in this release. Funny how they forgot to mention Jasons first REAL experience behind the wheel of a superboat. LOL I'm also sure that Ciasulli and Houston are truly grateful for the exposure their getting for being gracious enough to allow John Carbonell to put Jason in the back of the boat with them when setting that truly unbelievable record.

executor 05-15-2002 08:20 AM

Ft. Meyers race is on Sunday the 19th and I doubt that there will be enough boats to have two races which means that all classes will race at the same time at 1:00pm Sunday afternoon.

executor 05-15-2002 08:28 AM

CATMANDO : Not looking for him to write anything negative but after Jasons first race where he could have almost killed someone and the fact that he has NO experience, how does Mr. Carbonell come out with a statement that the SUPERBOAT drivers are the most TALENTED and EXPERIENCED in the world? Not only is this guy not experienced but from what I understand his throttleman told him it wasn't his fault that the Pier 57 boat cut him off and he believes him. YIKES!!! That's scary :eek:

executor 05-15-2002 08:32 AM

FEVER: Yea that's what they always say to make it sound like the race is going to be bigger than it actually turns out to be, at least that has always been my experience. You have APBA running down in Marathon that weekend so I would look for a small turnout 20 maybe 25 boats tops.:rolleyes:

executor 05-15-2002 10:08 AM

Additionally I can only think of 4 superboats that may show 1) Jason Priestly race team 2) Planetman 3) Jaws 4) Riviera

deepvcatss12 05-15-2002 11:53 AM

I though the SBI races all took place on Sunday not Saturday? Can someone list a race schedule of the classes racing and on what days? SBI webstie say's NOTHING!
Mike C.

The P classes will race on saturday. All the other classes race on sunday
L.A.

executor 05-15-2002 12:11 PM

I find that hard to believe being that were virtually no Pro stock boats racing in Miami. Especially when you consider that there is a simultaneous race down in Marathon through APBA. I hope your right at least the P boats won't have to worry about getting run over by anyone:D

BODYSHOT1 05-15-2002 12:52 PM

P-class

Executor,

..by P-class, I think DeepV means the Performance/Local class boats..P1 thru P5 will be running Saturday, with the SuperBoats, SuperV and S-class (?) running Sunday...

:cool:

executor 05-15-2002 12:58 PM

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense and sounds alot safer. Sounds like this is the class Jason and his throttleman should be racing in. Leave the Superboat racing to the pros not the wannabe's. By the way, has Jason's throttleman Dan Campbell ever won a race where all the other boats in his class didn't break down first? Just wondering....

Ruben Bermudez 05-15-2002 05:09 PM

Defending the rich kid...More Questions than answers.

Gee, JP is out there actually spending his money and putting his maybe Lloyds of London insured butt on the line...and he deserves to be badmouthed?

Got the crash outa the way on his first try,
and seemingly gonna put it behind him and try again...
Must be some job openings on that team?

Hell, I lie to drivers all the time...I'll tell 'em they're better lookin' than Burt Reynolds, and more talented than GOD
if I think it'll get 'em to the finish line on time.

Does SBI NEED more than the number of boats they have
in order for the PARTICIPANTS to enjoy the race?

Anybody else here been around long enough
to remember when TV wasn't KING,
and sanctioning bodies were built
BY and FOR the PARTICIPANTS?

(HI, I'm John Cameron Swayze, and we've strapped this
new boatracer to a propellor and run him through the OSO
message board...lets pull him up...
HE'S STILL TICKING!)

What's next, you gonna bring up Rocky's wreck in Frisco bay,
and see if some critical analysis can change the outcome?

Boat Girl 05-15-2002 05:28 PM

Ruben, Man you are my hero...That is the best post I have read in a long time...Two thumbs up and a standing ovation....very well said... :D

Ruben Bermudez 05-15-2002 05:44 PM

Further, into the fog...

BG, glad you enjoyed it.

On another note, I can't help but notice somebody in this thread
just signed up TODAY, and hasn't posted in any other thread...

AND he can't properly spell the name of his listed hometown.

Doesn't take Matlock or Baretta to figger this out.

executor 05-15-2002 05:48 PM

Gee Reuben, maybe you should go out there spend 500k-600k on a brand new Scism Cat and race out there right alongside of J.P. Speaking of participants having a good time do you think Dave Woods had a great time having his 2 week old 500k+ dollar boat pickle forked by someone who had never driven a Superboat (much less a 4800 horsepower monster) before? What about the Jaws Superboat who Jason just missed by inches when he lost control of the boat on the first lap? Think he's going to be enjoying the race when he comes up next to that Jag in the race or what about all the other racers that are wondering why the heck this guy is running something so powerful and dangerous on his first try? Give me a break, how about a little common sense:rolleyes:

Ruben Bermudez 05-15-2002 06:02 PM

Common sense for the huddled masses

Okay, I vote we put JP out on the race course
in a Boston Whaler
and let you ride by and swamp him
if it'll make you feel better.

JP doesn't scare me.

He had his ass handed to him,
and would seem to be smart enough to learn from it.

Why do I get the feeling
you HOPE something bad happens to him,
so's you can tell us all
you TOLD US SO?

executor 05-15-2002 06:12 PM

First off I don't get the animosity or the name calling. Second if anyone were to get hurt in a collision it wouldn't be him it would be the other guy. Third I wouldn't wish JP or anyone any harm in any race. This isn't a matter of right or wrong it is a matter of common sense. Fourth maybe you would like to share with us who exactly is going to teach him? If I were a betting man, I'd bet that JP hasn't been in the boat since the wreck. I'm sure that will help him out with his next race;)

Ruben Bermudez 05-15-2002 07:12 PM

sense evidently ain't always common

C'mon...you start a thread apparently hoping for negative responses, don't get any, so you throw in a few
of your own...and ya don't unnerstand the animosity?

You gotta be friggin' kidding me.

If you other folks think I'm off track here,
lemme know,
I'm not too old to learn something,
and not to big to say I'm sorry.

But damn...anybody bashes somebody actually RACING,
I ain't gonna stand for it.

NIT2WIN 05-15-2002 07:17 PM

I'm lost can somebody help me:confused:

NIT2WIN 05-15-2002 07:34 PM

I'm looking for a big mouth named Reuben who obviously has mistaken someone else for me. So now that I'm here maybe you would like to enter into a battle of wits! You seem to know so much about me how come I don't know anything about you?

executor 05-15-2002 07:41 PM

Man first time I come on this board and I already have someone who wants to shoot me for having an opinion.

Maximus 05-15-2002 07:44 PM

oh no !!!

It's still alive!!!!!!! ARRRRGH. I thought we put this puppy to bed!

Someone give Rueben the link to our last thread on this subject.

Maximus

Will plumbchick arise again??

NIT2WIN 05-15-2002 07:48 PM

Don't form an opinion of this board by one idiots comments. I am relatively new to this board and have found everyone to be extremely courteous. Everyone has a right to their opinion you,he and myself without feeling as though they are doing or saying something wrong. I hope you stay on your input is always welcomed.

NIT2WIN 05-15-2002 07:57 PM

MAXIMUS : Where was Mr. Bigmouth when we had the last thread that I started? Most certainly he could have voiced his opinion then couldn't he? I've seen him post his sarcastic opinions on other threads around the same time. Maybe he was thinking that he could bash me while I wasn't looking;) CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK? PLEASE, give me a break! What I've already done I doubt you'll ever do in your lifetime.

Maximus 05-15-2002 08:16 PM

Nit

Nit,
I'm really looking forward to hookin up with you and goin out bustin up some rollers. You crack me up. The only thing I can figure is you must have smoked a lot of other boats out there when you were racing and bruised some big ego's.

Let's Rock!!

Maximus

DaveP 05-15-2002 08:18 PM

Well I know I'll get crap for this one ....OH WELL! Carbonell is no fan of mine nor am I a fan of his.

Question: How do you know John Carbonell is lying?
Answer: His lips are moving! :D :D

Goodfella 05-15-2002 08:26 PM

Hey Dave P!
THAT WAS FN HILARIOUS!!!!!! :D :D :D

NIT2WIN 05-15-2002 08:40 PM

Maximus

You name the time and the place and I'll be there! I'm good for 175+ mph. I come up to Tampa (lived there for 15 years) all the time!

Maximus 05-15-2002 10:28 PM

yikes Nit what are you trying to kill me!!

I better call Jay Pilini and order a set of 1300's cause I'm only good for 110... but in the rough stuff things should equal out a little. Screw it.. I'll race anything fishing boats, sailboats (last PRA in sarasota I got blasted by My Mistress (old Alcone) at 160 Whooooaa!!! That puppy Rocks!!!! 175 What is it?? 46 Skater w'?????

Maximus

We probably have some acquaintances here in town

NIT2WIN 05-15-2002 11:02 PM

Maximus

I was referring to my old Jag. I am currently negotiating a new deal on a new boat for next year but I don't want to jinx myself. Lets just say that after I cut off the cancer, Dan Campbell, my expartner and everyone realized that I wasn't a part of his "gang" there were new found friends to be had. As a matter of fact, when I went to the dry pits after the Miami race I not only had people coming up to me to congratulate me on dumping his sorry ass but I had people I didn't even know that knew me and wanted to talk about racing next year. I must say, it was quite refreshing! I don't know if we would know the same people in St. Pete I left Tampa in 1993 and have been laying out on Southbeach looking at topless models ever since.

NIT2WIN 05-15-2002 11:21 PM

Cluck cluck cluck into the night

I wonder where the real chicken little is at? It's amazing what a big talker he was until the very moment I came on. Sorry, I don't mean to be mean he's probably writing a fan letter to his heartthrob JP.

Boat Girl 05-16-2002 10:51 AM

Goodfella- Back up a minute, first of all, I am not anybody's side kick...you know me and I do have my own opinions on things, I dont follow the crowd or the free parties...I have never disrespected you or your opinons on this board or in our conversations, I would expect the same courtesy in return...So, please, if you have something negative to say, please leave me out of it, and if you would like to say something to me personally, please at least give me the courtesy of a phone call or at least talk to me...I thought we were friends...If I am way off base here I am sorry...

I can't help it I really did enjoy Ruben's comment, it just made me chuckle, I hope that is allowed...

Ruben Bermudez 05-16-2002 12:02 PM

Eating crow with a side of fries...

Apparently, I've fallen victim to using the same tactics
I despise in my previous posts...and I've edited out
the unneeded attacks.

N-man, sincerely wish you well in your continued racing career.

(NEVER POST IN ANGER now written on sticky note
over the monitor)

NIT2WIN 05-16-2002 12:19 PM

It takes a big man to admit a mistake it takes an even bigger man to apologize

Reuben - I truly appreciate your response and understand that you are pro offshore racing. I think everyone on this board wants the same thing they just have different opinions on how to get professional offshore racing to the next level. Attacks aside and behind us, your opinions are the counterbalance to an interesting topic where there really isn't a right or wrong answer. Your always welcomed to join any board that I'm involved with and give me your view. Thanks again

executor 05-16-2002 12:28 PM

Hey I'm just glad that RB isn't pissed off at me anymore! He sure doesn't seem like the type of guy you'd want to cross in a card game. lol:D