Like Tree0Likes

New Performance Boating Magazine Launched

Old 12-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Registered

My Boats: feathercraft,Profile 308,Hydrodyne jet deck, hondo runner bottom,24 python,33 elimanator dry sixes

I mis Hot Boat when they covered just the small hot boats for a while there was a section called (runs in the family)it was one of the best parts of the mag,
Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

My Boats: '86 '36 Mainship double cabin REALLY slow cabin cruiser
Default Our Publix carries it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwurl View Post
I just got my renew notice in the mail for Powerboat. The magazine has gone to a bi-montly sales flier. I will not be renewing and I am sure a lot of others will not also. I can go to Barnes and Noble and read it in the isle in less than 10 minutes. It was a great mag. What a shame. Jeff Wurl
Takes me about 30 seconds to see what I need to.
Agree with lightning jet too. HB had an era that was almost as good as PB back in the day.
One of the things I always found interesting was when comparing PB classifieds of old to new was exact opposite in content. Early days was a lot of smaller boats, O/B's and do it yourself stuff. Now (and last 10 yrs) it's almost all high zoot big stuff and professional ad's. Always wondered if the market really did dictate that (I know the trend was larger boats but did people STOP buying smaller stuff??) or the new direction of the magazine towards all high end stuff and the advertising $$$ from those builders regardless of what we the readers wanted??? I know I wrote letters and was not the only one stating same.
Makes it tough now too when magazines are $6. per and more! You definitely need to keep my attention for more than a few min's for that kind of jing!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (5)

My Boats: 22 Donzi Classic 525 EFI

Hot Boat was my favorite too and I really hate to give up on PB but WTF? I want an issue every month.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Registered

My Boats: 95 Formula 271

to state the obvious, not renewing to PB and reading in the isle is not going to make it any thicker or more frequent.

I will keep my sub, Teague on tech is worth it.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom1 View Post
I have subscribed to Powerboat for 20 years and think I have all of those issues. Personally, I look forward to receiving it and think they have done a good job considering the current economic climate.
Thanks, Phantom 1. As a freelance writer for Powerboat for 11 years (and I worked inside the magazine for five years before that) I appreciate your support. I also appreciate the critique from those who don't necessarily share your opinion. It's all good stuff.

The last issue of Powerboat was 68 pages, which is about half of what it was two years ago in the same month. Within those 68 pages were articles on:

•The OPA Offshore World Championships
•An Indy Drive upgrade project on a Skater 30.
•An interior renovation on a Howard 28 Bullet
•Winterizing
•Towing with a "toter home."
•Dave Villwock chasing Bill Muncey's Unlimited hydro win record.
•The Old Farts Forever Reunion.
•The departure of John Haggin from offshore racing
•Eliminator Boats Chapter 11 restructing
•Hering titanium propellers
•The Around Long Island Marathon
•The 30th Anniversary of Howard Arneson's Miss. River Run
•Donzi's move to the Fountain plant
•The Absolute Speed and Marine Poker Run
•The SBI Nationals
•UIM involvement in the SuperSport and Evo that used to be in P1.
•David Scott
•Teague on Tech

Some of those articles were long and others were short. Regardless, that's a lot of content to pack in to 68 pages. While everyone at Powerboat strives for improvement of the magazine, I don't see any other performance-boat magazine delivering that breadth of coverage.

But even with a 200-page magazine that printed 24 times a year, we know we could not possibly make everyone happy. Still, it's a goal.

The ironic thing? A Powerboat magazine writer (me) wrote the story about the new magazine that is/was the topic of this thread and brought it here.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsformula View Post
to state the obvious, not renewing to PB and reading in the isle is not going to make it any thicker or more frequent.

I will keep my sub, Teague on tech is worth it.
Teague on Tech is to help Mr. Teague sell parts. How many BS speed claims has he printed for 496 CMI headers. And now he pushes "his" oil. Byebye PB.

Matt, I thought PB let you go?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdchildhood View Post
Teague on Tech is to help Mr. Teague sell parts. How many BS speed claims has he printed for 496 CMI headers. And now he pushes "his" oil. Byebye PB.

Matt, I thought PB let you go?
Nah, they keep me in spite of myself. But as you can imagine, with reduced page counts and fewer issues there is less for a freelance writer to do. So I've branched out quite a bit.

Respectfully disagree on Teague on Tech. By a huge margin, reader survey after reader survey says that Teague on Tech is most read and appreciated element of the magazine.

It's enough to make a feature writer jealous.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
Nah, they keep me in spite of myself. But as you can imagine, with reduced page counts and fewer issues there is less for a freelance writer to do. So I've branched out quite a bit.

Respectfully disagree on Teague on Tech. By a huge margin, reader survey after reader survey says that Teague on Tech is most read and appreciated element of the magazine.

It's enough to make a feature writer jealous.
OK. I do respect Bob Teague but I have seen him push products that he happens to sell a little to often! I'm not going to rehash the CMI sportube thing but I did get suckered into thinking they would get me 4 mph. They got me nothing!
Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 Velocity 290SC

The very very best performance boat mag was the few issues of SpeedBoat that Eric Colby was editing. There were a lot of boat tests with good performance info on boats that actual middle class people might be able to buy sometime in their life. I would be subscribed to that even if it only came out quarterly (which is pretty much what it did). Nothing else I've seen even comes close...
Old 12-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Registered

My Boats: Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988

I think it’s a pretty sad state of affairs when people who enjoy this hobby/sport/lifestyle/addiction - or whatever you refer to it as – turn their back on the single longest running performance boating magazine in existence (been printed for the last 40 years). So let’s examine what they’ve done to hopefully ensure they’ll be here for the next 40:

1) Cut back on issues. Reason? Pretty simple; money savings. This was introduced with the plan to get through these lean years and move forward through the recession with the goal to bring back issues as the economy recovers.

2) Made the cover size smaller and got rid of the perfect bound spine. Reason? Well again, it all comes down to money but this one was kind of a no brainer since the magazine is owned by the infinity group that puts out numerous other magazines, it’s cost affective to run the magazine at the same size as the rest of the magazines.

3) The use of Bob Teague as lead test driver. Why use him? Bob has been with Powerboat, almost since the beginning. He was a good friend and rival racer of Nordskog. Bob’s own success over the years has grown in leaps and bounds in no small part to his good business sense, his racing record and his participation with the magazine. Like or don’t like him, the guy knows his sh!t and can run a boat. PBM brought on Johnny Tomlinson as a second test driver to counter the skepticism some readers voiced at Bobs tests and opinions. Now tests are done independently by each driver. And you know what? Their scores and opinions mach each others 95% of the time! And I’ll ask this, as I have before - if not Bob Teague and Johnny Tomlinson, then who? Who has the industry, race, business and over all knowledge these two can bring to the masses? The two test drivers are a perfect match and complement each other (kind’a ying to the yang thing going on with them) quite nicely.

4) The magazines half the pages it used to be. Why’s this? Do me a favor for those of you that have an issue from five or six years ago – grab it and compare actual content to what is in the current issue. You’ll quickly see that it is advertising that has been cut WAAAAAY back because many in the industry are just not advertising as much to save the bottom dollar. I find this extremely amusing because I remember back when the economy was boomin’, the number one complaint was that there was too many advertisements! Freakin’ classic!

But let’s look at what Powerboat is doing to better their magazine, even during these crappy economic times:

1) www.Powerboatmag.com Check it out. Lots of up-to-date info, great blogs from industry leaders (which you can actually reply too – recently Steve David was seen conversing with readers via replies), polls and a plethora of user friendly stuff like ordering back issues & tests, videos and the list goes on.

2) Continuing east coast and west coast performance testing. The east coast tests were just completed with six tests on various leading manufactures and two stories on two of the gnarliest boats to hit the water in the past 6 months.

3) Continued tradition of top notch, intriguing and innovative writing and coverage including events coast to coast coupled with fantastic & invigorating photography.

4) Staff that is continually listening to, reading from and evaluating its readers. If you have a problem, email someone at powerboat. Nine times out of ten, you’ll get an answer quickly.

So with all that said, I personally look forward to seeing the new magazine put out by two people I consider friends (Brett Becker & Gregg Mansfield). I agree with Matt, in that I think competition is a good thing and healthy for any industry. I was sad to see Family & Performance Boats and Hot Boat go away because with the loss of more magazines comes the inability for me to preview more outlets of this life style I love so much.

Yes, things are not what they once were at Powerboat. However, be patient ye with little faith - For things will turn for the better as this country marches on to recover from this economic disaster. And while it is recovering, sit back and enjoy the choices you have…including Powerboat.