Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New Performance Boating Magazine Launched >

New Performance Boating Magazine Launched

Notices

New Performance Boating Magazine Launched

Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Of course I know the difference between "Boating" and "PowerBoat" but how long are the subscribers supposed to subsidize PB? I'm done. I want a magazine every month. Also I would like to see pictures of the hull on the trailer in the boat tests. Isn't this a very important consideration in buying a boat? Would it kill them to snap a few pics before the boat is dropped in the water?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will always read PB until it quits publishing

I have always looked forward to Hot Boat and Powerboat arriving each month. I just enjoy holding a magazine in my hands more that a mouse and trying to read online. I hated to see Hot Boat die, as it alway felt as if it were more for the regular guy and not for only the rich. But over the years, my income has risen and gone up and so has the size of my boats. I used to feel like Powerboat only covered the ultra high dollar stuff, but this month they have an article about a drive upgrade on a Skater. I will continue to read Powerboat and any other magazine that address's my passion regardless of how many times a year it is published. I go back an read old copies of each many times over and use the information as reference material.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Of course I know the difference between "Boating" and "PowerBoat" but how long are the subscribers supposed to subsidize PB? I'm done. I want a magazine every month. Also I would like to see pictures of the hull on the trailer in the boat tests. Isn't this a very important consideration in buying a boat? Would it kill them to snap a few pics before the boat is dropped in the water?
Of all the assets a magazine has, readership is the most important. No magazine ever became great for its ads, nor does anyone buy or subscribe to a magazine for its ads.

However, in consumer magazines (with notable exception of Consumer Reports), ads pay the bills. If you're talking about what or who subsidizes a consumer magazine, you're talking about advertisers. Economic reality is that subscription rates barely cover postage.

That said, thirdchildhoold (love the screen name), I absolutely, completely and totally (fresh out of adverbs) get what you're saying. Regardless of how well Powerboat does with six issues, it is disappointing not to have the 11 issues you were used to. No one who is involved with the magazine likes it, but it's a matter of long-term survival.

I do hope you come back as a reader As I said at the outset, readers are any magazine's most important asset.

Regarding the "all or nothing" comment on boat reviews: It is indeed a (very fine line). I have told this story before but here goes: One day, a reader called me to tell me how soft a report I wrote was on a manufacturer's boat. On the same day, the manufacturer canceled his advertising schedule because I was too hard on his boat.

Still, I understand your point.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input Matt. We'll see. I don't think I'm expired yet. The problem is that the price seems a bit high for 6 issues and a lot of us folks are feeling the economic pinch too. I am a retailer and sales are down at lest a third this year and this has been the worse Xmas I've ever seen sales wise. I am cutting back too!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Thanks for the input Matt. We'll see. I don't think I'm expired yet. The problem is that the price seems a bit high for 6 issues and a lot of us folks are feeling the economic pinch too. I am a retailer and sales are down at lest a third this year and this has been the worse Xmas I've ever seen sales wise. I am cutting back too!
My girlfriend owns an upscale clothing store. November was very strong. So far December has been horrible. These are tough times for anyone in retail. Really tough.

I am sorry to hear you're struggling as well. Sending you a PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
My girlfriend owns an upscale clothing store. November was very strong. So far December has been horrible. These are tough times for anyone in retail. Really tough.

I am sorry to hear you're struggling as well. Sending you a PM.
PM received and answered. Thank you for the very kind message. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I appreciate a magazine and have kept loyal to Powerboat even though the magazine content and issues have declined. I think its important to keep a subscription and help Powerboat through the tough times. My only real squak is alot of the material and photos in these boating mags (including Poker Runs) are too repetitive. Nothing against Gino and the Mercedes boat or Bill's Skater from Florida, but how many times can these boats be photographed and displayed on a magazine page over and over again? It gets real old real fast. How about some photos of the latest builds from Cig, Ol, Nortech, etc? Lets see some NEW equipment and not the same old stuff over and over. I think just about everyone would love too see what new boats have hit the water instead of the same old stuff.

Last edited by pm203; 12-19-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll keep it

This PB bashing reminds me of the Reggie bashing. The internet plays a big roll in as well. I love PB and keeping my sub. If for no other reason then just cuz I can't bring my computer to the throne
Old 12-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GARBAGEMAN
This PB bashing reminds me of the Reggie bashing. The internet plays a big roll in as well. I love PB and keeping my sub. If for no other reason then just cuz I can't bring my computer to the throne
I don't see it as bashing. We are just talking about it and it looks like we all want it to survive. There have been good points brought up. Let's see...we keep Teague on Tech even if he does push his own products . More items from Matt Trulio. Pics of boat hulls on trailers included in tests. Less repetitive content. Some smaller boats. Oh, and what's with the wake boats lately. And just maybe..........maybe........one issue a month at least in the summer.....
Old 12-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see it as bashing. We are just talking about it and it looks like we all want it to survive. There have been good points brought up. Let's see...we keep Teague on Tech even if he does push his own products . More items from Matt Trulio. Pics of boat hulls on trailers included in tests. Less repetitive content. Some smaller boats. Oh, and what's with the wake boats lately. And just maybe..........maybe........one issue a month at least in the summer.....
Good summary!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.