Notices

New Performance Boating Magazine Launched

Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Ringggggggggggggg!! "Good morning. This is World Champion Boat Company. How may I help you?"
"Hiiiiiiiiiiii! This is Nick Boats, calling from 'Lucky Sperm Boating Magazine." "How may I hum, er, help you?" "We want to do a test on your new 'I used to be a Skater, 40' 1"' model. "Let me find _______________________ (your name here). I think he is polishing his World Champion trophies. There are ninety of them.".
"Hello." "This is Nick Boats." "H, NIck" "We want to do a test on your all-new forty plus one cat." "Cool, man, *****in' (West coast boat company)." "I understand this boat is all new. How fast?" "We haven't run it yet, but the motors that we are borrowing went 174 at LOTO." "Hey, sounds great!" "By the way, we just happen to have a double truck ad available next to the article." "I'll take it."

Fast forward two weeks. Riiiiiiiiiiing. "This is Nick. Let me speak to 'His name's there'. "*****in', man. How was the test? "Well, the boat floated upside down when we launched it." "Uh oh. You won't print any thing bad, will you?" "Are you still gonna run the double truck ad?" "Yes." "Then we will just run the original test on the 40 Skater."

"*****in', man."
How fast did it go upside down? These are questions for which true afficionados require answers......... I have seen many boats that appear to have faster decks than hulls.

I am also curious about the speed advantage gained from various paint jobs and bling. For instance what is the difference in speed between a boat with or without oversized gauges? Also is an in house paint job faster than an out house paint job?

What?....... Brownie was joking?....on OSO? Well I never! So there really is no "I used to be a Skater 40' 1" hull? Oh there is ...?...but Brownie was clever enough to cover up the name?

I get it.......

Good job Brownie....

P.S. Baron Schwartz is still waiting for those "original" designs you promised him.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Ringggggggggggggg!! "Good morning. This is World Champion Boat Company. How may I help you?"
"Hiiiiiiiiiiii! This is Nick Boats, calling from 'Lucky Sperm Boating Magazine." "How may I hum, er, help you?" "We want to do a test on your new 'I used to be a Skater, 40' 1"' model. "Let me find _______________________ (your name here). I think he is polishing his World Champion trophies. There are ninety of them.".
"Hello." "This is Nick Boats." "H, NIck" "We want to do a test on your all-new forty plus one cat." "Cool, man, *****in' (West coast boat company)." "I understand this boat is all new. How fast?" "We haven't run it yet, but the motors that we are borrowing went 174 at LOTO." "Hey, sounds great!" "By the way, we just happen to have a double truck ad available next to the article." "I'll take it."

Fast forward two weeks. Riiiiiiiiiiing. "This is Nick. Let me speak to 'His name's there'. "*****in', man. How was the test? "Well, the boat floated upside down when we launched it." "Uh oh. You won't print any thing bad, will you?" "Are you still gonna run the double truck ad?" "Yes." "Then we will just run the original test on the 40 Skater."

"*****in', man."
If only it were that easy.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Brownie, I love you!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because word is getting around, it makes sense for us to give potential readers a heads-up on Sport Boat magazine. First, I must thank my friend and colleague Matt Trulio for sharing the news on his blog and here on Offshoreonly.com

Very simply stated, Sport Boat’s parent company, Source Interlink Media, is exploring a business opportunity. Because Source Interlink Media publishes some 65 automotive titles, it serves a large pool of potential advertisers that might be interested in the performance marine market. With Sport Boat magazine, Source Interlink Media is not necessarily catering to the boat manufacturing segment, and is intended to be profitable without advertising dollars from boat manufacturers.

In more specific terms, Source Interlink Media publishes several “special interest” publications in various markets each year to gauge whether regular publication is viable and profitable. For example, Source Interlink Media published Bound by Ink, a special interest tattoo magazine, and it has since become not only a quarterly title, but also the largest-circulation tattoo magazine in North America.

This “pilot balloon” approach is typical of how large publishing companies launch magazines. Similarly, Camaro Performers, GM High Tech Performance and Engine Masters—all of which are now published regularly—were launched the same way. Economics will dictate Sport Boat’s fate. If people buy the magazine, if it sells well on the newsstand, it will continue. If they don’t, then it will not.

For those who said they liked Family & Performance Boating, they’ll be glad to learn former FPB executive editor Warren Kosikov played a significant role in shaping Sport Boat. I served as editor-in-chief of the premiere issue. In addition, magazine publishing veterans like associate publisher Joe Rode and executive editor Gregg Mansfield were instrumental in putting the first issue together.

We hope people enjoy it, because if there is one constant among performance boaters, it’s that your appetite for news and information about your passion is boundless.

Look for it on the newsstand January 25.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my opinion and I am sure nobody else cares but.....i cancelled PB just because it seems more like car and driver rather than hot rod magazine.

It is out of touch with the guy who is actually paying to read it...only features brand new $500,000 boats. Even though there is a "tech" page the guys that need info/guidance aren't in the super expensive boats. Face it, if you can afford that you just pay someone to figure it out!!

How about readers rides and some custom builds or something. Nice rebuilds of boats a few years old???

I can dream without a monthly subscription. Hotboat used to do some stuff like that and i wish they were still around!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett Becker
Because word is getting around, it makes sense for us to give potential readers a heads-up on Sport Boat magazine. First, I must thank my friend and colleague Matt Trulio for sharing the news on his blog and here on Offshoreonly.com

Very simply stated, Sport Boat’s parent company, Source Interlink Media, is exploring a business opportunity. Because Source Interlink Media publishes some 65 automotive titles, it serves a large pool of potential advertisers that might be interested in the performance marine market. With Sport Boat magazine, Source Interlink Media is not necessarily catering to the boat manufacturing segment, and is intended to be profitable without advertising dollars from boat manufacturers.

In more specific terms, Source Interlink Media publishes several “special interest” publications in various markets each year to gauge whether regular publication is viable and profitable. For example, Source Interlink Media published Bound by Ink, a special interest tattoo magazine, and it has since become not only a quarterly title, but also the largest-circulation tattoo magazine in North America.

This “pilot balloon” approach is typical of how large publishing companies launch magazines. Similarly, Camaro Performers, GM High Tech Performance and Engine Masters—all of which are now published regularly—were launched the same way. Economics will dictate Sport Boat’s fate. If people buy the magazine, if it sells well on the newsstand, it will continue. If they don’t, then it will not.

For those who said they liked Family & Performance Boating, they’ll be glad to learn former FPB executive editor Warren Kosikov played a significant role in shaping Sport Boat. I served as editor-in-chief of the premiere issue. In addition, magazine publishing veterans like associate publisher Joe Rode and executive editor Gregg Mansfield were instrumental in putting the first issue together.

We hope people enjoy it, because if there is one constant among performance boaters, it’s that your appetite for news and information about your passion is boundless.

Look for it on the newsstand January 25.
Will there be a subscription available, or just hope that the local magazine retailer gets it?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suntimes,

Source Interlink Media enjoys excellent economies of scale in distribution. If there is a decent newsstand near you, it most likely will have it. Subscriptions will not be available immediately. However, if Sport Boat goes quarterly, Source Interlink Media has a method for offering readers subscription-like service.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:29 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett Becker
Suntimes,

Source Interlink Media enjoys excellent economies of scale in distribution. If there is a decent newsstand near you, it most likely will have it. Subscriptions will not be available immediately. However, if Sport Boat goes quarterly, Source Interlink Media has a method for offering readers subscription-like service.
Good luck with the new project.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I want a magazine every month. Also I would like to see pictures of the hull on the trailer in the boat tests. Isn't this a very important consideration in buying a boat? Would it kill them to snap a few pics before the boat is dropped in the water?
I agree totally with the above.

And what the hell happened to December for PowerBoat? As a subscriber, I got a October/November issue and then a January/February issue! Unfortunately, we just reupped the subscription but it will get cancelled next time til they go back to 12 issues a year.

If SportBoat does 12 issues a year, sign me up for the first subscription. 5 boating magazine subscriptions is better than 4
Old 12-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a pretty expensive proposition producing any magazine, let alone a good one. Well-written articles, tests, staffing and production costs money. I'd rather pay $20 a year for six great issues than $5 for a crappy monthly.

Which brings to mind some utter irony.

Boating in itself is based on the proverbial hole in the water into which one pours money theory. Performance boating makes your everyday recreational boating look downright cheap by comparison. It just seems a little silly having these "with my hard earned money" replies when we;re talking about the rough equivalent of 5 gallons of gas for a subscription.

Just sayin'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.