Notices

Forgot to winterize

Old 12-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Forgot to winterize

I've got a friend that has a 496 HO in an Advantage that he either forgot or just didn't get winterized for whatever reason. The boat is in Iowa and is inside of a metal building (not heated though). We have had lows around -12 F already this winter and it has not been above freezing at all the last week.

Is it too late to save his motor?
Old 12-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would think you are screwed at this point. But I guess you never know for sure until you fire it up.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bms26
I've got a friend that has a 496 HO in an Advantage that he either forgot or just didn't get winterized for whatever reason. The boat is in Iowa and is inside of a metal building (not heated though). We have had lows around -12 F already this winter and it has not been above freezing at all the last week.

Is it too late to save his motor?
He's screwed.
Probably exhaust manifolds and heat exchanger.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Registered

The engine is a closed cooling system so the actual engine block/heads will be OK. The bad news is the exhaust manifolds, heat exchanger, oil cooler, power steering cooler and even the raw water pump may have problems. Its a shame because this engine is really easy to winterize, hopefully it wont be an expensive lesson.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Registered

How cold does it get inside the building? If the building is insulated it may not get that cold, the building I keep mine in stays at least 35 degrees in the coldest outside temps. I still winterize my boat though. Good luck/
Old 12-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boat1
The engine is a closed cooling system so the actual engine block/heads will be OK. The bad news is the exhaust manifolds, heat exchanger, oil cooler, power steering cooler and even the raw water pump may have problems. Its a shame because this engine is really easy to winterize, hopefully it wont be an expensive lesson.
springtime things will look like a Sprinkler under that hatch
Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I think it all depends on the temp inside the building.

I'd at least take the time to go winterize it. That way if it spews all over the place you know you ****ed and can spend the winter saving/looking for parts. If it doesn't then you might have saved it.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

get one of those thermometers that records Hi and Low ..Radio shack has one that has inside and outside readings .....put the probe in the bilge and the therm outside the boat ....see what kind of readings you get .....is there power in the building? I put 3 150 watt bulbs in my 311 and the temp never got under 46 degrees ....with outisde temp of 27* .....
Old 12-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Registered

Use the hand air pump on the front of the motor to try and blow out the water system. If water is able to be pushed out then you may be safe, if not it's probably already frozen.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

I am in Iowa and the lows have been well below zero. many days, the highs have been single digits. Something is going to be busted. Hopefully the closed cooling will save the engine block.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.