Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
semi wheels or lo-pro 24" on a dually anyone done it? >

semi wheels or lo-pro 24" on a dually anyone done it?

Notices

semi wheels or lo-pro 24" on a dually anyone done it?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default semi wheels or lo-pro 24" on a dually anyone done it?

who has dealt with anyone good and bad lol..... looking to do a set like the way the low profile looks and supposedly if you use a/t tires they have the weight rating for towing....

i spoke with american force and they have direct bolt ons..... but you lose 25% of your turning radius so he said go with adaptors.... which i really dont want the extra rotating mass..... also spoke with with dieselwheels.com.... they make direct bolt on 24's with no issues and have a tire with a 4600 pound load rating ........ any experiences with these guys?

thanks

Last edited by SLINGSHOT; 12-21-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

Ford, Chevy, or Dodge? Word of caution, these trucks with the low profile tires eat front tires. I don't know if it's the width or simply the use, but the front of duallies with 22/24s always seems to go through some fronts. That aside, I've done a number of trucks. You can buy from any of the players in the industry, American Force, DieselWheel, etc. Just make sure that if you do run a large bolt pattern with an adapter, that you do get a nice, high quality adapter. If rotating mass is a concern, this may not be the route for you. Most adapters are 1/2" billet steel, add the wheels and tires and you've got some monsters. If you chose the adapter route you can save some money picking up some used Alcoa's and turning the bead seat down. We've done a few on the lathe, turned the bead seat down, and I also turn down the actual wheel lip itself, many don't.

Word of caution.. no matter what you're told.. DO NOT stretch a 22 or 24" tire over a 22.5 or 24.5" wheel. I've seen it done, and attempted many times and it's a death trap.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
Ford, Chevy, or Dodge? Word of caution, these trucks with the low profile tires eat front tires. I don't know if it's the width or simply the use, but the front of duallies with 22/24s always seems to go through some fronts. That aside, I've done a number of trucks. You can buy from any of the players in the industry, American Force, DieselWheel, etc. Just make sure that if you do run a large bolt pattern with an adapter, that you do get a nice, high quality adapter. If rotating mass is a concern, this may not be the route for you. Most adapters are 1/2" billet steel, add the wheels and tires and you've got some monsters. If you chose the adapter route you can save some money picking up some used Alcoa's and turning the bead seat down. We've done a few on the lathe, turned the bead seat down, and I also turn down the actual wheel lip itself, many don't.

Word of caution.. no matter what you're told.. DO NOT stretch a 22 or 24" tire over a 22.5 or 24.5" wheel. I've seen it done, and attempted many times and it's a death trap.

its on a ford... and i do no really want the adaptors.... any reason not to go with direct bolt on from diesel wheel? they seem so far from my research to have the best product... just looking for some others experiences
Old 12-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

I have the 19.5 Alcoa's with the adaptors on the Bridgstone 275/70's which have about 40k miles on the tires with lots of tread to go. Bought through American Force. I was going to put the 22.5's on with the low pro's so I wouldn't have to lift the dually but DAMN they're heavy! I opted not too since I was already towing over 10k with the Cig, the added weight was not welcome.
Attached Thumbnails semi wheels or lo-pro 24" on a dually anyone done it?-img_0551.jpg  
Old 12-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by db71
One question I have is what kind of tires are they (brand) I may be able to get you a deal on american force I have never dealt with diesel I see them every year at sema they build some awesome trucks.

On another note I would ask what the difference is between the american force direct bolt on and the diesel the only differences would be width or offset. If they are the same I would be leary of the different stories.

I own a wheel business the dually thing is kinda new to me but it has to be the same principals as wheels on anything else.
exactly my thoughts.... why not make it right the first time
Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SLINGSHOT
exactly my thoughts.... why not make it right the first time
You have to remember that the after market demands caused the rim manufacturers to produce direct bolt on. This has only been with in the past 3 or 4 years. Before that (like with my truck), direct bolt on to standard duallys was not possible. Neather was low profile tires due to the odd size rims (19.5, 22.5, 24.5) a lot of the custom guys would shave the half inch off of the rim to fit a street tire on the rim (not good for towing & most of the time would not meet load ratings for a 1 ton dually). Now you can get a low pro tire to fit direct bolt. I wouldn't buy an adaptor set up now, there's no point. I don't know why the turn radius would be better with an adaptor (maybe because it's like a spacer?)

Here's a link to the tire rack with the low profile tire sizes for dually rims. I think you'll be hard pressed to find one that will accept the combined load rating while towing your apache. But it does seem to be the latest trend so maybe people are finding a tire. Best thing to do is call on these tires and get the load rating (which I'm sure db71 could actually do for you).

http://tires.tirerack.com/tires/305%2040%2022
Looks bad azz but like I said, the rims are HEAVY (over 100lbs each)!!!

Last edited by thisistank; 12-21-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by db71
Ok If you don't mind give me the year and model truck. I am also interested as to what tires diesel (where they a semi tire) with that much load rating your ride would suck. The ones tank posted are rated at 2600 pounds that is our common truck size for 22" wheels on suv if you go 24" you would probably go 305/35/24 if you had 4 2600 pound tires in the rear you would be over 10000 pounds which is plenty my dads chevy dually with 16 rims is only 8800 rear and that is factory spec let me know if I can help
Ah, well with those ratings he's good to go! And yea, the Bridgstones I have on our truck are "tow truck" tires. Re-tredable big rig tires basically. The ride is stiff for sure.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been riding on cut 22.5" wheels to fit a 22" tire since 2002. Have not noticed any added front tire wear and never any issues. They ride better than my stock wheel and tire package. I have the adapter/semi style set up which makes for something like 28 nuts and studs (total) holding my front wheels on. I went with the cut wheels to get the lower profile tire with the thought of lowering the truck. I have since changed my mind on lowering. I think the tire size is 305/40/22 and has a load rating of around 2600lbs each. I got them out of Texas from the site chromewheel.com. No one even knew what I was talking about when I was looking to by here in FL. I claim to be the first in FL with them, but I don't know that for sure, and don't really care to be honest.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ckin62
I have been riding on cut 22.5" wheels to fit a 22" tire since 2002. Have not noticed any added front tire wear and never any issues. They ride better than my stock wheel and tire package. I have the adapter/semi style set up which makes for something like 28 nuts and studs (total) holding my front wheels on. I went with the cut wheels to get the lower profile tire with the thought of lowering the truck. I have since changed my mind on lowering. I think the tire size is 305/40/22 and has a load rating of around 2600lbs each. I got them out of Texas from the site chromewheel.com. No one even knew what I was talking about when I was looking to by here in FL. I claim to be the first in FL with them, but I don't know that for sure, and don't really care to be honest.

Where's the pics!!??
Old 12-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Registered

after many phone calls today.... i am told you can run direct bolt on in 24" but the recc'd 10 ply pirelli tire for towing is discontinued ...... you will have a little bit of turning issue with the 24's and rub issue when towing.... when running the stock suspension

when i talked to american force he recc'd 22 lo pro with a dura grappler 285/50/22 that is a 3000 lb load rating

the 24" set up is apparently difficult because of tire selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.