Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Skater 32 driving tips? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24438-skater-32-driving-tips.html)

Hydro 05-15-2002 11:52 AM

Skater 32 driving tips?

32 Skater classic with twin 300 X's. Does anyone have seat time in this boat? What would you recomend I look out for when running this boat.

thunderdan 05-15-2002 11:56 AM

hydro,

Welcome to the board. While I do not have any specific advice for this boat I will give you some general advice. Wear a lifejacket and a lanyard and never drive above your comfort level or your ability with THIS boat. Hopefully you can find someone close to you that has experience, if you do not, with this boat that can go out an run with you for a bit. I do not mean to offend you if you have a lot of experience, but every boat is different. Just take your time to get to know how your boat rides, how sensitive it is to a center tab or tabs, to trim etc...Best of Luck.

thunderdan 05-15-2002 12:14 PM

Oh, and I almost forgot. If you are in Ct. you really should drop into Skaterfest this weekend. There will be a ton of guys there who know about Cats especially skaters as you can tell by the name. Check it out on the BB, there are a ton of linksto it. I even think it is on this first page.

Philip 05-15-2002 12:33 PM

32' Skater

Hydro,,,Did you get your boat yet? If so are the engines out of “break in” yet? I have quite a few hours in the same boat. I would like to hear a little about your set up before trying to help. How big are the set backs? How high are the motors (prop shafts) up from the bottom. I really think you should make it to Skaterfest this weekend. I could try to help you if you like, and there will be quite a few people there with tons of experience. Peter will be there, George Linder, T2x, Joey Impressia. I am sure many of these people will also try to help. You can call me if you like, #973.214.9686

Philip

ssherman 05-15-2002 12:59 PM

Hydro,

SEAT TIME SEAT TIME SEAT TIME

My 28 would always pull out if i kept power in reserve so dont run on the edge in rough water keep some throttle to get out of a jam until you get comfortable with the boat.

Hydro 05-16-2002 04:03 PM

Re: 32' Skater

Originally posted by Philip
Hydro,,,Did you get your boat yet? If so are the engines out of “break in” yet? I have quite a few hours in the same boat. I would like to hear a little about your set up before trying to help. How big are the set backs? How high are the motors (prop shafts) up from the bottom. I really think you should make it to Skaterfest this weekend. I could try to help you if you like, and there will be quite a few people there with tons of experience. Peter will be there, George Linder, T2x, Joey Impressia. I am sure many of these people will also try to help. You can call me if you like, #973.214.9686

Philip

Thanks for the response. The boat is being rigged by Skater this week. I won't have it until the first week of June. I will not be able to make Skaterfest this year. The boat has cook jack plates I don't know the set back. The props turning out. Should I be concerned If Skater is doing the rigging? I don't have a tabs.
I have put 350 hours on a DCB Mach 22 with 300 pro max. I never had a bad experience with the DCB.
Thanks again

Shane 05-16-2002 04:09 PM

Hydro,

Philip knows his ****! He runs the hell out if his 32 and it has the same set up as yours I believe. I have a 24 and that is alot different than the 32. However, I would be more than happy to take a ride down to Ct. for the day to give a you a hand. Or, if you ever head up toward Lake George I can help you here as well. Again, if you can have Philip help you. Best wishes and good luck.

Shane:cool:

Philip 05-16-2002 10:43 PM

Hydro, Too bad you can't make Skaterfest. Peter is going to be there. Skater does a great job of rigging the boat, and you can be sure there is not going to be any guess work. They know what works. The engine heights, setback etc, is always right on. The only thing I might talk to Peter or Chris about is the open space at the transom, under the hatch, and over the engine platform. I am going to close this area off with 1/2" White color Lexan, This keeps the oil smoke, water spray etc. from blowing into the under hatch area. See what they say. As far as driving tips, when you get the boat I will try to help in any way I can. Advice, tips etc. I might be able to meet up with you one day and spend some time out with you if you would like. I am no expert, but I had 200 hrs in our 28' and now about 120 in the 32' Please install a Gaf. Livorce gps right off the bat. the pitot tube liquid filled is not going to last. why pay for something you will change very soon. As far as grab rails for the rear seat people, make sure if skater is going to install, or you are, that they are set back towards the seat more then you might think. Any female's in the back have shorter arms then most men, and when you are pushing back into the seat backs the grab bars seem to be too far forward. e-mail me if you like, or call me with your questions. I
will try to help. 973.214.9686
Philip

Afte

Shane 05-17-2002 06:19 AM

Hydro,

USE PHILIP! He is the man in the 32 outboards! He has made the mistakes and knows what to do. He knows how to run the **** out of it too! Good luck and call me if you need anything.

Shane

Hydro 05-18-2002 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Philip
Hydro, Too bad you can't make Skaterfest. Peter is going to be there. Skater does a great job of rigging the boat, and you can be sure there is not going to be any guess work. They know what works. The engine heights, setback etc, is always right on. The only thing I might talk to Peter or Chris about is the open space at the transom, under the hatch, and over the engine platform. I am going to close this area off with 1/2" White color Lexan, This keeps the oil smoke, water spray etc. from blowing into the under hatch area. See what they say. As far as driving tips, when you get the boat I will try to help in any way I can. Advice, tips etc. I might be able to meet up with you one day and spend some time out with you if you would like. I am no expert, but I had 200 hrs in our 28' and now about 120 in the 32' Please install a Gaf. Livorce gps right off the bat. the pitot tube liquid filled is not going to last. why pay for something you will change very soon. As far as grab rails for the rear seat people, make sure if skater is going to install, or you are, that they are set back towards the seat more then you might think. Any female's in the back have shorter arms then most men, and when you are pushing back into the seat backs the grab bars seem to be too far forward. e-mail me if you like, or call me with your questions. I
will try to help. 973.214.9686
Philip
Philip
Once again thank you for a detailed response. I will talk to Chris about the transom cover and the grab handles. The boat has a Garmin 152 and the Gaf GPS speedo. What do you have for a wind defector? Do you have a drive guard on you trailer. I launch the boat at a shallow ramp and don't want the drive guard to get hung up. Also I'm trying to keep the boat in rack storage and I need a way to support the boat on the tunnel and still be able to pick it up without straps.
Once the motors are through break in I would like to take you up on your offer for a ride. I am supposed to go the skater and run the boat with them, but I won't have the time.

Afte