offshore boat as a liveaboard? >

offshore boat as a liveaboard?

Notices

offshore boat as a liveaboard?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default offshore boat as a liveaboard?

I was talking with a friend of mine recently and he mentioned a guy he knew who lived on his boat.. was curious if anyone here lives aboard their offshore boat?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew a couple of people that claimed to "live" aboard their offshores, but they really "lived" at their marina and the local restaurants and only "slept" on their boats. Both guys that I know that did that didn't even sleep on them full time. They often crashed at various places to do laundry and whatnot... It really wasn't a true "live aboard" situation.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered

As much as I'd love to live aboard, I wouldn't consider trying ot spend more than maybe a week on the outside, on an offshore boat.
JMOH

A run over to the islands and a long weekend aboard....yeah, i can handle that
Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There aren't too many peformance boats with cabins that I can stand up in (BT is the only one that comes to mind)....couldn't imagine "living" aboard a boat I can't stand up in.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Registered

Default boat moving

This thought have several boaters, the question occures also on yacht pages, but also or better even there the advise is rather negative because although the yachts are a bit heavier than the glass...composite... the yachts are moving in the water by each wave and that seems to be nerving.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It might be do-able on boats like Black Thunders, 50' Nor-Techs, 45' Sonics, etc., but you'd ultimately suffer from lack of storage for food and clothing long-term. Hybrids like the big Fountain Express cruisers and Formula 400 SuperSports are better choices. We've spent some week+ trips on our 38 Formula, and have been very grateful for the full camper canvas on many occasions. Fortunately, the boat has a large cockpit and is full-optioned, but the lack of headroom in the cabin (5'4") and no inside shower keep it from being a serious candidate.

At a minimum, you'd need hot/cold water, stand-up shower, Vacuflush toilet, A/C and generator.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C_Spray

At a minimum, you'd need hot/cold water, stand-up shower, Vacuflush toilet, A/C and generator.

Assuming your a sissy
Old 02-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktail
This thought have several boaters, the question occures also on yacht pages, but also or better even there the advise is rather negative because although the yachts are a bit heavier than the glass...composite... the yachts are moving in the water by each wave and that seems to be nerving.
I love the boat moving! Its like mother nature rocking me to sleep. And the pitter patter of the waves hitting the rails of the bow - heaven!

I love sleeping on the boat (I do it virtually twice a weekend, every weekend, all summer long), I just don't think that I could "live" on an offshore like some claim to.

Shower, running water, flushing toilet... blah... that's what the marina is for...

Last edited by wjb21ndtown; 02-18-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or Bobthebuilder. He doesn't even do overnighters in Predator and that thing is a floating pleasure palace compared to most offshore boats.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
If you are staying in marinas, no need for the gen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.