CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with 27daytona take your time get used to the boat
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I think a lot of the "danger" is purely based on the speeds. If you have a v that is doing 120+ you are in the upper end of performance v. However, in comparison a pretty mild power cat can do 120 relatively easily. I also think this is part of the reason why they like people to have previous cat experience because a lot can go wrong, and when jumping from a v to a cat there is a difference in driving style, so the insurance company likes to know that you have had previous driving experience, or your rates are gonna be crazy.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by h20 toie
Cats are more stable if it is not to rough, again it depends on how you are running the boat , when it gets real rough then the V has the advantage.
I respectfully disagree

The operational skill to operate a cat in the rough is far greater
then a vee. Cats will actually fly across the waves. This is where there will be a narrower margin in operating it safely. A vee will plow through the rough at a lower speed lending itself to a bigger margin for safety.

Take two top throttle men put one in a 47 vee
the other in a 46 Cat and run them side by side the cat
will be faster.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesufka
One quick little story which means nothing, but...

Was running flat out in my Spectre 30/Twin 300 Merc combo a few years ago. 97mph.

The right motor's driveshaft broke.

Nothing happened except the water pressure horn went off and the boat slowed down.

And I spent $$$$ getting it fixed.

I think "cats" are fantastic.

Mike
Ditto motor shutdown at 150mph in a (friends) Nor-tech Cat..we just slowed down.

Unfortunately riding in my Vee has never been the same

Glad to see you found insurance Rick .
Old 12-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 767 Likes on 350 Posts

And didn't GLH blow a #6 in the DOI boat at speed with little fanfare....??
Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
Everyone seems concerned that a motor will blow at speed and the boat will have a corner dip and then flip killing all aboard.
That's an interesting perspective. Can't say I have ever heard that before.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I have owned ten cats over the years. I have blown engines, drives, transmission and even lost props. In every instance the boat simply slowed down. The worst was a blown number six at 150 mph, again slowed down. Made one heck of a noise and grinding. A skilled cat driver can run faster in rough water than a v hull. Many cats will lean into the turns slightly such as Skater and MTI.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
I am a 55+ yr old guy who has owned two boats for a total of 8 years. My last boat was a 24 ft. Now, after having the snot beat out of me when the wind comes up at Lake Tahoe, and other lakes, I decided to buy a bigger performance boat. Nothing more dull than a boat that simply cannot perform... Only problem is, that I have been trying to get insurance on the boat I just bought and good grief, every insurance agent is telling me how dangerous CATS are - not to mention that I have been turned down by about 10 companies ( Stacy just got me insurance at what I think is a reasonable rate.). I have even had a boat dealer tell me this too. Everyone seems concerned that a motor will blow at speed and the boat will have a corner dip and then flip killing all aboard. Yet, the prop will free wheel if the motor stops! Are CATs that much more dangerous? Any stories of what can go wrong to give me a heads up? Also, my new ride is a 1995 31 ft SXT CAT with two 600 hp 502's in it.

Rick
I believe there was an incident several years back when a HTM demo went wrong causing something similar to what has been described to you. Very rare I believe.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I have owned ten cats over the years. I have blown engines, drives, transmission and even lost props. In every instance the boat simply slowed down. The worst was a blown number six at 150 mph, again slowed down. Made one heck of a noise and grinding. A skilled cat driver can run faster in rough water than a v hull. Many cats will lean into the turns slightly such as Skater and MTI.
Same here!! No big deal!! Higher speeds and hitting a wave that is bigger then most will be the one thing he will need to look out for, next thing you know is oh Chit!! I hope this thing lands good!!!

Last edited by FREEDOM US1; 12-30-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by firehawkcat
I agree with 27daytona take your time get used to the boat
I feel the same, I just stepped up into the cat world and love it. The boat runs better and way smoother (no more getting the crap beat out of me and the family). Just take your time and have fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.