CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating? >

CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?

Notices

CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
"How you setup your cat before you go into a turn makes a big difference, not just speed". Please elaborate! If I sit here and think about this statement, my first reaction is that in my very limited experience the cat I have really resists turning unless I am up to plane speed which I think is about 30 or 35 mph. Maybe a little more at Tahoe. This is why I need a lot of seat time to see just how this thing turns and behaves under lots of various conditions. I watched the right sponson dip downward when turning left and vice versa. Guess I need to find out how much this happens at slow speeds at more and more truning angles. This will happen as soon as the weather gets warmer, but I am hopefull some of you good folks here on the OSO forum and help me with your insights.

Rick
I have no cat experience so I can't help you,and while there are many knowledgeable people on this board you are not going to learn the theroy of how your hull operates here.You really need to talk to a guy like Tres or some one who can teach you.You need to understand why the boat does this "not do this when it does this."
Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
I respectfully disagree

The operational skill to operate a cat in the rough is far greater
then a vee. Cats will actually fly across the waves. This is where there will be a narrower margin in operating it safely. A vee will plow through the rough at a lower speed lending itself to a bigger margin for safety.

Take two top throttle men put one in a 47 vee
the other in a 46 Cat and run them side by side the cat
will be faster.
Your remark here makes sense when I compare what you say and what the previous owner told me. He has pictures all over the internet of him jumping huge swells in this Red Cat at high speed off the Callif coast - Newport Beach. He told me that this boat is inherently safe and that it is much like riding a dirt bike - you want to land on the huge 3 ft k-tabs on the back of the boat and let off the throttle when in the air. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't plan on any thing like this, but it was interesting what he told me. He said he could drive this boat in the dark by the feel of it - of course, he owned it for 15 years.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BowenCT
That's an interesting perspective. Can't say I have ever heard that before.
This was a direct quote from an insurance agent and almost an exact quote from a boat dealer who told me he could sell me a cat or a V but he highly recommended that I don't buy the performance Cat.....
Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?-skater-pic.jpg Happy New Years Everybody!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I have owned ten cats over the years. I have blown engines, drives, transmission and even lost props. In every instance the boat simply slowed down. The worst was a blown number six at 150 mph, again slowed down. Made one heck of a noise and grinding. A skilled cat driver can run faster in rough water than a v hull. Many cats will lean into the turns slightly such as Skater and MTI.
Brad, your comment here is the strongest endorsement I have received for my purchase! Thanks!!! I really didn't want to drive this thing with the fear that something would go wrong..... Really puts a bummer on the whole boating experience.

Rick
Old 12-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FREEDOM US1
Same here!! No big deal!! Higher speeds and hitting a wave that is bigger then most will be the one thing he will need to look out for, next thing you know is oh Chit!! I hope this thing lands good!!!
This is why I need lots of play time at lower speeds to get used to this boat.

Even on my one outing, I had it up to about 70-80 in at least 3 ft chop, maybe a little more - middle of Lake Tahoe - extremely smooth ride with the feeling of a little bab, bab, bab of the wave tops from my seat and through my feet, and twice I could tell the boat came out of the water. No drama, NOTHING. Completely level and stable. Just the realization that I made a little jump.

Rick
Old 12-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK
I barrel rolled a warlock 25 cat at 80 mph. Did no damage at all to the boat. Had it flipped right side up and took her to the shop, got the motor running and back on the lake that day. Awesome boat. driver error.
Just how did you manage to do this??? I really want to know so I can hopefully learn from your mistake. Something like this can hurt people or worse.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
I have no cat experience so I can't help you,and while there are many knowledgeable people on this board you are not going to learn the theroy of how your hull operates here.You really need to talk to a guy like Tres or some one who can teach you.You need to understand why the boat does this "not do this when it does this."
I will google the Tres Martin class and see what it entails. Thanks!

Rick
Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will google the Tres Martin class and see what it entails. Thanks!

Rick
www.performanceboatschool.com

Call anytime.
954 560 9080
Brad
Old 12-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"How you setup your cat before you go into a turn makes a big difference, not just speed". Please elaborate! Rick
Trim makes a lot of difference. On the straights you can air it out, but with the dives out you'll have little control in a turn. You'll need to trim the drives back in somewhat to regain better steering and control.

You have the right idea, ask questions and get as much seat time behind the wheel and you'll soon gain confidence and get a better 'feel' for the boat. It's a good thing that you're being overly cautous... if you start feeling too confident early on, you're going to find yourself in trouble real fast. Your best bet is find another cat owner in your area and spend time with them... There's a reason insurance companies want prior seat time, there really is no substitute for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.