Vinyl wrap removal question >

Vinyl wrap removal question

Notices

Vinyl wrap removal question

Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Vinyl wrap removal question

Picking up a toy hauler RV trailer that has a full vinyl wrap. Was a race teams trailer. I have removed vinyl lettering before with a heat gun and pulling off. How hard are the full wraps to get off? Do I use heat?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:01 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

We use a steam machine for removing wallpaper sometimes when a heat gun does not work ,we also have a machine with a soft rubber compound that turns pretty fast and takes the vinyl off fast without burning the paint or taking paint off ,but too long on one spot and the paint turns brown... Snap on sells those ,they are air powered Good luck
Old 12-31-2010, 05:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

The adhesive on wraps is similar to post its, you should just be able to peel it, don't use heat unless you absolutely have to, and from a distance just to warm it. if any glue is left on it, use a product called rapid remover, 100 biodegradable.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We usually see that "Wrap" Material is easier to remove than regular vinyl, because it has Air channels in the adhesive.
Therefore the bond is slightly less to the trailer, & if it was laminated you have a thicker piece to pull with which in turn also makes it easier.
also, unlike tedious vinyl letters, it is in sheets so it goes faster anyway.
you should be fine....
I would aim a "torpedo" space heater at the side of the trailer maybe 10 feet away & start pulling! just keep moving / adjusting so it does not get too hot. & end up leaving more glue on the trailer.

good adhesive remover is also a Plus.

http://www.uscutter.com/Orange-Peel-...er-_p_620.html
Old 12-31-2010, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

We rent electric heaters to a few vinyl guys to remove full wraps some times. They don't use a "torpedo" heater as open flame heat is hard to regulate, look for a Patron heater like our web page http://www.onsite-energy.com/rentals/smallheat.html . I've also seen them start to peel the sheet at one end and then take a stick like a broom handle and wrap the sheet onto that so they can pull the sheet evenly otherwise it tears. They strip a 26' race car trailer in like 2 hour on all 4 sides.