Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Used parts/ salvage yard for boats? >

Used parts/ salvage yard for boats?

Notices

Used parts/ salvage yard for boats?

Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Used parts/ salvage yard for boats?

We were talking the other night about all the used parts and salvage that occurs in the boating world. Take for example the last big hurricane that whipped through Florida a couple of years ago, where did all those boats and the parts end up?
I remember seeing whole racks of boats 4 high leveled with all of the boats laying on top of each other. There were all kinds of fountains,formulas, bajas, etc. That would have had all kinds of parts from drives and engines, to shifters, and trim pumps.
Is there some kind of salvage yard for this kind of stuff or does it just get soaked up into everyones shops and garages around the country? Or worst yet does it just get shredded along with the wrecked hulls and scrapped?

Just wondering?

Dave
Old 01-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a old buddy in Florida that has a salvage/recovery business that goes and gets boats. Been awhile since he gave me the explanation on how it works but its something like this...
he finds a boat
he calls it in
the owner is notified
if the owner doesn't come get it in a specified time, its my buddies to take.

He's got a storage yard and calls me if he gets a Donzi, Cig, or something else that I may know of a person that'd be interested. The bad thing is that almost none have a trailer to get them anywhere.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by delsol
We were talking the other night about all the used parts and salvage that occurs in the boating world. Take for example the last big hurricane that whipped through Florida a couple of years ago, where did all those boats and the parts end up?
I remember seeing whole racks of boats 4 high leveled with all of the boats laying on top of each other. There were all kinds of fountains,formulas, bajas, etc. That would have had all kinds of parts from drives and engines, to shifters, and trim pumps.
Is there some kind of salvage yard for this kind of stuff or does it just get soaked up into everyones shops and garages around the country? Or worst yet does it just get shredded along with the wrecked hulls and scrapped?

Just wondering?

Dave
Dave,

I used to own a company called MarSalvor and we handled most of the boats that went through the Progressive and State Farm insurance Companies. I sold the MarSalovr to IAA two years ago and part of my deal is to remain as their CAT marine director. I would be happy to help you should we get a storm this year.

Most of these boats are sold as complete units. It's up to the buyers to break them up. There are a few salvage yards in Florida but it has been my experience that a skillful buyer can get good NEW parts cheaper then some of these yards are selling their banged up used counterparts for.

The largest of these sellers has to be the Marine Connection Liquidators in Ft. Perce. They sell some used parts and some new overstock inventory items.

http://www.themarineconnection.net

I buy from them when I can't get it from any other place... Be prepared to dig DEEEP! Most of their stuff is priced just in between retail and whole sale. VHF radios for example that I can get from them for 199 are sold at Consumer Marine Electronics for 89.99. BIG difference.

Truth be known, the BEST place for good used parts, in my opinion is still Ebay. Just check out the buyer's feedback and read the description carefully

For entire boats, some of the sites that you might want to check into

IAA is at iaai.com
Copart at Copart.com
and SalvageDirect.com

Keep in mind that at these sites you will need a dealers lic. to purchase.

Retail sites I would avoid:

YachtAuctions.com , CooperSS.com and
USAuctions.com

Plowtown,

Is the Illinois friend you mentioned Bill Dahl? He has bought a lot of stuff from us over the years. A good man with a heart of gold.

T.

Last edited by MidOcean; 01-02-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I know in our area there is a salvage yard called budget boats - but to MidOcean's point - there stuff is often as expensive as new stuff.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the replies -- i understand how these places put big asking prices on the items, for the most part they're not paying much for the complete boat, so if it sits for a while before someone gives the high price they don't care.
I bought a boat recently, and right beside it was a burnt up 38, the only thing really left was the xr's and marine machine steering. I didn't think about it till 3 weeks later when someone asked me about xr's, when i called about it asalvage yard had been paid by the insurance to pick it up and dispose of it. Of course upon calling the salvage yard they were asking 6 g's for everything.

Thanks for the leads and the heads up.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
Dave,

Truth be known, the BEST place for good used parts, in my opinion is still Ebay. Just check out the buyer's feedback and read the description carefully

For entire boats, some of the sites that you might want to check into

IAA is at iaai.com
Copart at Copart.com
and SalvageDirect.com

Keep in mind that at these sites you will need a dealers lic. to purchase.

Retail sites I would avoid:

YachtAuctions.com , CooperSS.com and
USAuctions.com
T.
I was also going to say that the Internet (ebay, Craigslist) has killed the local boat yard. Unless they they are also selling on eBay.
I bought my current boat (and first Internet buy ever) from usauctions.com back when they were bent boat.com. Really good folks to deal with.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Earl "the Pearl" has been doing it for decades. He has some really cool stuff.

http://www.marine-sales.com/
Old 01-02-2011, 07:08 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 thing I've enjoyed for years was to go to the boat flea market in Dania, Fla in april at the Hailai stadium. There is lots of junk but deals are there if you have a knowledgable eye.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
Plowtown,

Is the Illinois friend you mentioned Bill Dahl? He has bought a lot of stuff from us over the years. A good man with a heart of gold.

T.
His name is John Grantland. He's located in Florida. My post wasn't very clear
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
I was also going to say that the Internet (ebay, Craigslist) has killed the local boat yard. Unless they they are also selling on eBay.
I bought my current boat (and first Internet buy ever) from usauctions.com back when they were bent boat.com. Really good folks to deal with.
I'm glad you had a good experience with Bent Boat/ US Auctions. There are many who didn't which is why the "Bent Boat" mast head was changed. Personally I had an issue with them over my 33' Powerplay. A boat that was sold as a recovered theft, only to find out that it was still "unrecovered" as in, still a "stolen boat." The file on that boat grew to over 4" thick before it was resolved. The crew at Bent Boat/ US Auctions were useless and, in the opinion of the Asst. U.S. Attorney who intervened in the case, "Criminally Complicit" with regards to their role in the possession, manufacturing of documents, and sale of the vessel.

T.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.