Notices

Swap Shop Etiquette

Old 12-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap Shop Etiquette

When a "HOT" item is posted in the Swap Shop section what is the protocol/common accepted procedure on this board for selling it? Who gets first dibs? Is it to sell it to the first person to respond to the post and willing to pay the asking price? The first person to call if a number is givin? Or to the person willing to pay the highest price over the asking price? I can see both sides weather it be first to respond or highest payer but just wondering what the common consensus with everyone is?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Registered

on the various forums i am on i typically do the whole first person to actually make contact with me (if i NOTICE a pm before someone calls, the person through the pm has dibs) but if someone sends me a pm and i dont notice it and someone calls with money, they then get dibs. so i always do "the first person who actually gets in touch with me" gets it first. i never hold out for a better price, i feel its kinda rude... just alot of "damn i KNEW i should have asked more for that!!" to myself
Old 12-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Registered

Id say first come first serve but unfortunately it doesnt always work out that way. As in this case which brought this thread to attention if it was going to be an auction it would have been nice to know that from the original post of the product, therefore others couldve chimed in with there bids and it really could have turned into a pissing contest!!! Id say thats my .02 on it but Im sure someone will outbid me with there .04 and so on and so on...
Old 12-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always honor 1st contact has 1st dibs. No exceptions.
If I wanted to sell to highest bidder, I'd ebay it.

After reading Tres's ad, RBR was 1st to committ to the complete package as advertised. I'd say he had 1st dibs. But that's not knowing of any PM's and phone calls, but the $500 offer kinda says it all.

Why don't you 2 offer $501 if that's how the sell is going to be determined?

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-16-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I always honor 1st contact has 1st dibs. No exceptions.
If I wanted to sell to highest bidder, I'd ebay it.

After reading Tres's ad, RBR was 1st to committ to the complete package as advertised. I'd say he had 1st dibs. But that's not knowing of any PM's and phone calls, but the $500 offer kinda says it all.

Why don't you 2 offer $501 if that's how the sell is going to be determined?
I agree. If I sell something too cheap or miss out on something, oh well. I'll get 2nd in line, but I won't up the offer. To each their own though...
Old 12-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I got the gauges for $500. Lightning Jet ran the price up and was given the chance to call by 10am and never did so I got them. This is typical when selling on ebay somebody runs a bid up and forces a legitimate buyer out and never pays. I feel I still got a good deal.
As far as calling I saw the ad at 9pm and would never call anyone this late so posting and PMing was the only option till morning.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbr2328
Well I got the gauges for $500. Lightning Jet ran the price up and was given the chance to call by 10am and never did so I got them. This is typical when selling on ebay somebody runs a bid up and forces a legitimate buyer out and never pays. I feel I still got a good deal.
As far as calling I saw the ad at 9pm and would never call anyone this late so posting and PMing was the only option till morning.
Should have sold it for the original asking price of $425. NOT RAISE THE PRICE BECAUSE OF A BS OFFER! RBR agreed to the full asking price first, should have been a done deal. Lightning jet should have been given second option to buy if RBR didn't come through. Guess I'm just old fashioned, doing the right thing and a handshake still mean something to me. If a customer and I have deal, its a deal. I would never try to get more from them, because someone is trying to "out bid" them. Guess I should be grateful I was raised better then that. I would be embarrassed if I did something like that and my father found out. He taught me to work hard and be honest. You can only rip someone off once, but you can have a customer and friend for life.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:43 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Board etiquette in the past has been the first person to commit, gets the first option.

Personally, I think offering more $$ to steal them out from under another member is BS.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 AM
Banned

i agree with griff and most others if u want more make it an auction or do a thread with the highest pm offered by a certain date gets it etc...
Old 12-17-2010, 07:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Board etiquette in the past has been the first person to commit, gets the first option.

Personally, I think offering more $$ to steal them out from under another member is BS.
the only thing that is more bs than that is the SELLER ACCEPTING the offer and booting the "rightful buyer"!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.