Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
BALLS.......should you clean them or just replace 'em? >

BALLS.......should you clean them or just replace 'em?

Notices

BALLS.......should you clean them or just replace 'em?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had mine for years and have been concerned about replacing it after hearing about Chinese knock-offs failing.

But in the spirit of keeping this thread alive received this in an email yesterday .

"Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey."

In the heyday of sailing ships, all war ships and many freighters carried iron cannons. Those cannons fired round iron cannon balls. It was necessary to keep a good supply near the cannon. However, how to prevent them from rolling about the deck? The best storage method devised was a square-based pyramid with one ball on top, resting on four resting on nine, which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one problem...how to prevent the bottom layer
from sliding or rolling from under the others. The solution was a metal plate called a 'Monkey' with 16 round indentations. However, if this plate were made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make 'Brass Monkeys.' Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannonballs would come right off the monkey; Thus, it was quite literally, 'Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.' (All this time, you thought that was an improper expression, didn't you.)
Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually keep my ball in a sack (ballsack) when not in use. I havent had so many problems with the balls themselves but the shaft getting stuck in the hole..It took a lot of grease and pounding to get the shaft out..Of coarse in these parts we have a good amount of snow so we end up having salty balls and shafts that does tons of damage.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:00 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Just grease your balls before and after use then they won't get all scratched up and rusty and they will still be marketable if your in a bind...

Remember however that if you grease'em make sure your grounded cause nothing at all will work without a good ground and whatever current your trying to push onto what your pulling won't transfer so you'll be in deep sh!t. Which is closer than you think.

If your engaged or married... scratch that...

Last edited by GLH; 01-14-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobonthis
I usually keep my ball in a sack (ballsack) when not in use. I havent had so many problems with the balls themselves but the shaft getting stuck in the hole..It took a lot of grease and pounding to get the shaft out..Of coarse in these parts we have a good amount of snow so we end up having salty balls and shafts that does tons of damage.
That was FUNNY!!!