Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Website for Boat Dealers Cost (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/245243-new-website-boat-dealers-cost.html)

Beak Boater 01-08-2011 06:19 AM

New Website for Boat Dealers Cost

This should be interesting!!

Site might help consumers, but MRAA warns it could hurt dealers
Posted on January 07, 2011
A new website that provides consumers with information, including pricing, on boats and other sports products will soon go live and the Marine Retailers Association of America has issued an alert to its members about the site.
See Dealer Cost is similar to sites in the automotive market in that it is not a selling site. It provides information, including features (standards, options), specifications and pricing.

The pricing included in the site is both MSRP and invoice, according to a release from the company. The invoice price does not include shipping from the manufacturer, dealer prep, taxes, title, license and other fees as applicable, and the invoice price does not include any wholesale incentives (program support, additional discounts, rebates, etc.) that the manufacturer may be offering to the dealer, according to those launching the site.
In addition to product and pricing information, site users will have access to articles, a dealer search, request a quote (from participating manufacturers and their dealers) and used-boat values. More information will be added in the near future.

The site and information are free to consumers.

The MRAA, in an alert sent out earlier this week to dealers, said the site was a "potentially onerous situation to your business as a marine retailer." It identified the site's founders as two former marine executives - Jack Malone of Mercury and Yamaha, and Dave Taylor of U.S. Marine.

The rest of the article is here

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/5...ealer-networks

Chuck 01-08-2011 06:47 AM

That will put the final nail in boat retailers coffins for the production boats. The car business is the only business in the world that I am aware of that the customer dictates what the business should make and that they feel is fair. Why would former marine executives do this to their business? The short term profit will soon be offset by the demise of both dealers and manufacturers. Just my.02

BowenCT 01-08-2011 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 3291668)
That will put the final nail in boat retailers coffins for the production boats. The car business is the only business in the world that I am aware of that the customer dictates what the business should make and that they feel is fair. Why would former marine executives do this to their business? The short term profit will soon be offset by the demise of both dealers and manufacturers. Just my.02

I couldn't agree more. This will also spur selling out of territory even moreso than it happens now. Not a smart business move, but time will tell.

HiPerf360 01-08-2011 03:45 PM

I dont think the dealers would mid if they could sell 10-20 boats a day every day, but that just is not reality. it would be interesting to see the "invoice" for some boats though.

tomtbone1993 01-08-2011 03:48 PM

who needs a website when we have DollarBill..... :)

PhantomChaos 01-08-2011 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993 (Post 3291993)
who needs a website when we have DollarBill..... :)

LOL! :drink::drink:

Beak Boater 01-09-2011 09:26 AM

I think Dollar Bill is on the new sites speed dial to do some consulting work when they get into a bind.:drink:

DollaBill 01-09-2011 09:32 AM

Ha.ha. you guys are a riot. I ll keep the info to myself next time somebody needs it.

As for the new site it won't matter bc there will all kinds of programs between the dealers n mfg s that will make actual costs impossible to know

Jupiter Sunsation 01-09-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by DollaBill (Post 3292370)
Ha.ha. you guys are a riot. I ll keep the info to myself next time somebody needs it.

As for the new site it won't matter bc there will all kinds of programs between the dealers n mfg s that will make actual costs impossible to know

I think this site will be for mass produced boat lines (hundreds of boats built per year), like Boston Whaler, Ranger, etc. Plenty of dealers (disgruntled employees) to get the info from.

There isn't a performance boat company out there today that will build 50 boats in 2011 so this site is irrelevant for OSO.

Turbojack 01-09-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 3292392)
I think this site will be for mass produced boat lines (hundreds of boats built per year), like Boston Whaler, Ranger, etc. Plenty of dealers (disgruntled employees) to get the info from.

There isn't a performance boat company out there today that will build 50 boats in 2011 so this site is irrelevant for OSO.

I was wondering where they would get the pricing.