Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
APBA, SBI, Skaterfest, all in the same weekend! >

APBA, SBI, Skaterfest, all in the same weekend!

Notices

APBA, SBI, Skaterfest, all in the same weekend!

Old 05-16-2002, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APBA, SBI, Skaterfest, all in the same weekend!

I got to vent here, I don't think there is any who loves offshore racing more then I do, but what the F#$k, Why is it that everything is planned on the same weekend.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:21 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Good point.................. But, since the two august racing bodies didn't care enough about the "racer" to avoid the dueling dates syndrome.....We thought Skaterfest could be a nice way to offer an alternative as a message not to take you for granted.

Plus Mother's Day was last weekend and Memorial Day is next.....

Come to Skaterfest...... We appreciate you.

T2x
Old 05-16-2002, 01:57 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

One more thing...................... If you like, I will provide an off site "narration" of both the APBA and SBI races on Saturday and Sunday......... I have the performances memorized...................... That way you can enjoy the 'Fest and not miss any of the alleged "deck to deck action" (Parade) in the "races" down in Florida.

I offered this "sample" earlier of the SBI Final.

" A handful of boats will go around a race course on a hot humid afternoon in the gulf. Many "spectators"....who will look suspiciously like the normal weekend beach crowd...... will be treated to some roostertails, a large number of breakdowns, maybe even someone passing someone else (if they're REEEEELY lucky it will be a boat in the same class). Regardless, all of the race boats will stay away from Jason Priestly. By the half way point, there will be ample time to view each boat as no two will be within a quarter mile of each other. After the race everybody will get trophies and all will be in "hot contention" for a National Championship......Hell, somebody might even set a "World Record".

Man, that's racing!...............Now on to Marathon

A bigger handful of boats will go around (see above)...... The spectators will be treated to absolute baffling confusion as there may very well more classes than boats. However names like Baja, Cigarette, Formula, and other "corporate craft" will feature one off entries copied directly from Douglas Skater technology...and foisted off as "Factory Stock" hulls...... These will be driven by an ever changing group of 1st and 2nd year racers who haven't been around long enough to realize that this ain't Nascar...and a group of veteran racers who feast on the "newbies", by avoiding competition through careful class selection. ("Don't want to race there.... JT is in that class,........ oops stay away from Art Lilly....Ah here's a class ........Vortex Factory L part 2........ Perfect!")

Don't worry, if you miss one event or the other....It will soon be on TV and you can sleep through it at your convenience.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 05-16-2002 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that is funny -
I've been watching boat racing since I was a little kid. Started back with the BBPBRA races. (Quite the catchy acronym, isn't it?)
I remember watching the races from my Dad's boat, and at the end, asking him, "Who won Dad?" Needless to say, he could never answer the question. He always said we'd have to look in the Asbury Park Press the next day to see, since they always published some sort of results. Without fail, every time we read them together, there always seemed to be more "Winners" than total boats we could remember seeing racing.
I'm now 31, still watch racing, and so does my Dad. The only thing that's changed is after he catches a race, either in person or on TV, he calls me and asks "Who won?"
Old 05-16-2002, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T2, That is too funny, maybe I'll just wait till I see them on Speedvision, I save alot of gas money , thats for sure, hey have fun this weekend and be safe.