Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Batteries (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24530-batteries.html)

later 05-16-2002 10:53 AM

Batteries

Ok anyone have any suggetions on batteries for the boat i think i'll be replacing them soon. they don't seem to be staying charged up after they sit for a few weeks.

obnoxus 05-16-2002 11:08 AM

I would go with an Optima or a Stinger, I used Optimas because I am cheap !!! It made a big difference using the stereo in my boat.

skatermike24 05-16-2002 11:13 AM

Later, make sure you don't have a draw on the batteries while the boat sits, batteries should last more then that!:rolleyes:

283CHECK 05-16-2002 11:48 AM

Battery drain??

I had the same problem with the batteries last year. I have a pergo(?)switch and my battries would not hold a charge even if I turned the switch to off.:confused: Does that mean I could have a bad switch or bad battries?

jdnca1 05-16-2002 12:01 PM

I run Die Hard deep cycle marine batts, seem to work pretty well.

jbrauer 05-16-2002 01:13 PM

I run Optima's. Their expensive, but last!!

Iggy 05-16-2002 02:05 PM

283check,
Does the batt switch allow one or the other to be active and a setting for both (3 position)?
Or does it only have an off and on (2 position)?
I have dual batteries and a three position switch.
If the switch is a two position and one of the batteries has an internal short it'll drain both batteries because they're always connected together and only disconnected from the circiuts.
If your bilge pump is like mine it's powered seperate from the battery switch, works even though the batt switch is off, maybe a bad float switch or something else.
Radio memory circuit?
It's not going to be easy tracing down the power drain.

283CHECK 05-16-2002 02:11 PM

Iggy

It has the off batt1,batt2,both settings. I'm wondering if
1)if one of the batteries are actually connected to the output on the switch

2)if the swich is not actually switching completly off.

I do think it is time for new batteries and hopefully when the motor goes back in the shop finds a short if it is there.

The bilge pump does not work on auto. setting only when it is turned on manually so maybe the float is bad and draining the batteries??

tanned fat looks better 05-16-2002 02:19 PM

Chris,

Standard Battery down by Kemper Arena..........best price in KC for batteries.

283CHECK 05-16-2002 02:31 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out!

Iggy 05-16-2002 02:40 PM

#1: Possible but if the switch was installed by the factory I doubt it. Visually check wire routing and for proper connections before checking #2.

#2: Possible. You'll need a test light and the find the positive connection that's after the switch, batteries are before the switch. Connect light from that positive wire to ground with switch in off position. If the light lights, switch is bad.

When was the last time you checked the batteries with a hydrometer?
Or are they permenently sealed?
Many batteries look sealed but they aren't.
Have someone do a load test on the batteries. That'll tell you if you have a bad one or not.

283CHECK 05-16-2002 02:49 PM

Iggy

I'm gonna take alook at the wiring tonight, hopefully if it is not that we'll get any shorts found when the motor goes back in. I do have to replace one battery for sure, kinda hit the concrete hard one evening :eek: I'll have the other checked.

This will be the second season with this boat first season requires a new motor, hopefully second season won't be so bad.

chris

Iggy 05-16-2002 03:04 PM

I don't know how old my batteries are. I bought the boat, used, in 2000. It's an '88 Formula.
The batteries are Delco Marine. One is a general use deep cycle type and the other is a cranking battery.
I've never had the batteries checked. I've never even taken them out of the boat.
I do keep the batt switch off when not in use.
I only have to charge them in the spring after sitting for three or four months (Florida winter). Even then they're not dead.

So far, so good.

283CHECK 05-16-2002 03:11 PM

These were supposedly new when we got the boat:rolleyes: I did have some termanial issues early but they still won't hold a charge. Both are cranking batteries, probably replace with a deep cycle for radio and such and cranking for starting?

All I know is I'm ready to go boatin!!

later 05-16-2002 03:15 PM

I dont believe i have a battery drain their just 4yrs old and after sitting for awhilethey dont keep their charge. Theywere completely dead when i picked the boat up from storage, usually batteries dont come back to well after that. Anyway im fine with putting new batteries in and im comfortable that there is no drain. Were do you find the optima or stinger batteries? im from st louis who sells them at the lake.

Intolerant1 05-16-2002 04:16 PM

I use Walmarts batteries. I just took one off the storage charger thats been on it for a year and a half. Seems good as new. The main reason though is convience. No matter where I go theres a Walmart around if I need a replacment. They have 18 month warranty with a "no questions asked" return policy. $65 for there big deep cycle/starting battery. Sams has a similar battery at the same price but the warranty is 12 months.

283CHECK 05-16-2002 04:27 PM

I seen them lastnight, the price is not bad/1000cca's/and the sign said 9yrs warrnty 3yr free replacement. I didn't think that was all that bad?

Chris

obnoxus 05-16-2002 04:29 PM

Quick way to see if you have a big draw, pull a battery cable, if there is a decent spark what you reattach the cable there is a draw.

Madcow 05-16-2002 06:20 PM

I think the world of Optimas. I had them in my Scarab for 4 years. Never touched them once. I just put 3 of them in my Sonic. Don't forget the cool Eddie Marine boxes for them. For all you people out there saying your too cheep for Optima's, Ya' ever been stranded?

later 05-16-2002 06:31 PM

Madcow you made mention of the eddie marine battery box's , is that because the optima will not fit in others? i have gill i think do you need different trays etc?

Scott 05-16-2002 08:37 PM

Later,this should help
http://offshoreonly.com/forum/showth...threadid=24301

Scroll down a couple and I have a picture of the boxes notice the way they are rounded in the tray.

Scott

Madcow 05-16-2002 09:44 PM

Optima batters are not as tall as a regular battery. They wouldn't fit properly in my boxes.

mcollinstn 05-17-2002 10:47 PM

For the past few years I have been trying a new route to battery happiness.

Item #1, I do not use my boats in a fashion to need deep-cycle batteries. My cruiser has a genset that always runs when off the shore cord. My Formula is a play boat and when sitting off the cord, just has light DC load (cept for fridge, which I will switch off after sitting a while).

For this reason, automotive batteries seem to work well for me. I have replaced a zillion marine batteries of all brands and price ranges. 3 years ago I replaced all my boat batteries (nine batteries in three boats) with AutoZone Gold batteries. I use the big Group 29 (? I think, one size smaller than Grp 31). They have 36 month free replacement and about 500month prorated (75 month I think). These batteries have lasted longer so far than any I have used (except the Deka batts that lasted 4 years).

When they stumble, I will just hop to Auto Zone and get them replaced. They cost only around $65 each.

Just don't tell them they are for a boat.