Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks? >

Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

Notices

Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK
Haven't drank and run my boat in 3 summers. But I make up for it when when I get back to the pier
Yes you do.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatfreak
Yes you do.
Are we talking about the Sunday night after the JOTJ
Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK
Are we talking about the Sunday night after the JOTJ
It's been proven that I can't keep up and I always considered myself somewhat of a pro.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
When I am out on the Phantom I very seldom, drink, if at all, 95% of the time I am not drinking, because I like to race to other boats, and I need all of my faculties when running 90+mph.

When I am out on my 15' Boston Whaler I will drink but stay under the legal limit. I defend drunk driver's in court all the time, DUI is a primary component of my legal practice. I have represented and heard of all kinds of tragedy due to impaired operation. I will not be a victim or nor will I victimize an innocent boater or driver of a motor vehicle due to my drinking.

There is a formula which the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center of New Jersey teaches as a guideline for a person to self-determine intoxication based on cunsumption, this is not exact science but is very useful.

A 12 ounce can of beer, 6 ounce glass of wine, and a 1 1/2 ounce shot of 80 proof liquor have an alcohol equivalent of one drink for this example (this is not an exact science but is pretty close to accurate).

A boater has a 12 pack beer on a day out boating, starting at 12:00 PM and ending at 6:00 PM, that is a total of six hours. You subtract the total time spent drinking in hours from the amount consumed. If you weigh more than 150 lbs multiply the remaining factor by .02 (BAC) blood alcohol concentration, and if you weigh less than 150 lbs multiply by .03 (BAC)

12 beers - 6 hours = 6 (factor) x .02 (BAC) = .12 Blood Alcohol Concentration. The legal limit in New Jersey is .08 BAC, the operator is well over the legal limit.

You body will dissipate one alcoholic beverage per hour based on the volumes and proofs and stated above. This does not consider, exposure to the sun, how tired, and other external factors. Do not rely on this formula as legal advice it is not, it is only a guideline has been very effective in helping a person determine if she or he is under the limit and when that person would be able to operate a vehicle and or boat.

If you have questions call me or e-mail me. I will do my best to answer what I can. Time to watch the Eagles V. Packers.

Stephen R. Jones, Esq.
856-449-0939
[email protected]
Or just don't drink.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad this thread generated interest. It should. I am not advocating loss of freedom of choice. But read the article about the 16 year old girl that was tubing behind the pontoon boat with parents and family and was killed by a drunk jet skier at blood level .27 and hopefully it will influence the choices that will be made this coming season.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richanton
And annoying. Did I mention that dealing with drunk people when you are trying to run or dock a boat can be annoying?
Or drops a lit cigarette "I'm just getting out of the boat" and trips and then sits on it on my upholstery and burns a nice big hole?!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Registered

None while running the boat.I did once have a beer at a raft up because I knew I was going to be there for a few hours,I mentioned that just incase a picture turns up.I have a CDL so a DUI is an .04 for me even when I am not in a truck.Even so I would never drink while running the boat or driving.For those who think its ok kill some one be over the limit and you will be changing you plans for the next 5 to 10 years.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

A bar was built at our marina just for the captains that don't drink until we get back to the dock......

Our lake is full of cops who use NAZI tactics to try and build revenue and kill the tourism and use of our lake.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by velocitoy
...you cannot justify drinking and driving...period.
yep . . . . zero tollerance policy for my self, when i opperate the boat i am 100% unimpared. My crew however usually make up for it lol. i actually have no trouble at all being a sober designated driver on the water i really enjoy running the boat at all times.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't drink at all, ever! I don't have any alcohol on my boat most of the time, but will bring a few beers if I know that I am going to have a guest that might enjoy them. I take my driving of the boat very seriously and I am also very aware of other boaters that may not be as deligent as I am.
My 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.