Question about planing devices >

Question about planing devices

Notices

Question about planing devices

Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about planing devices

I picked up a 221 Liberator at the end of the boating season last year and only used it a couple of times. It has a 468 Chevy and King Cobra outdrive. The previous owner installed a large fin on the drive to get it to plane quicker for skiing with his kids. The boat comes up on plane very quickly. I don't use the boat for skiing. Does the fin detract from the boats higher speed performance?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Ditch the fin and install trim tabs if planning becomes an issue. You can use Marine Tex to fill the holes on the outdrive.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I am not sure I agree. Tabs would be better for sure, but drag race outboard boats all use planning fins on the drive. At higher speed they are completley out of the water and I do not think they would slow you down at all. I think a small boat like a 22' it would not be a problem.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

You have a 22' boat with a 468 CID Chevy and it needs a planing aid? I don't think so. Take it off now before anyone else sees it.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

If you don't plan on using the boat for any water sports I would ditch it. The purpose is to get the boat on plane faster and keep it on plane at slower speeds for skiers.

I don't think it would negatively effect the performance, though.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3birds
I picked up a 221 Liberator at the end of the boating season last year and only used it a couple of times. It has a 468 Chevy and King Cobra outdrive. The previous owner installed a large fin on the drive to get it to plane quicker for skiing with his kids. The boat comes up on plane very quickly. I don't use the boat for skiing. Does the fin detract from the boats higher speed performance?
Run it, remove the 4 bolts to remove the fin, do a back to back test run.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I am not sure I agree. Tabs would be better for sure, but drag race outboard boats all use planning fins on the drive. At higher speed they are completley out of the water and I do not think they would slow you down at all. I think a small boat like a 22' it would not be a problem.
Agree it should not affect high speed performance. I just hate seeing these things on any boat. I should have stated such.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will actually scrub about 2-3 mph off on top speed and they exert huge forces on the cavitation plate and cause them to break. O your boat with that much power you may not see as much of a speed drop, but on a 40-50 mph I have seen as much as 3 mph more with it off. And of course having the cavitation plate welded back on is always a joy too

Lose it, you'll be happy. Fill the holes with Marinetex or epoxy as someone else said.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Registered

I'll pull it off and fill the holes. Worse case is to put it back on if needed. I also think I can go a larger prop.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 3birds
I'll pull it off and fill the holes. Worse case is to put it back on if needed. I also think I can go a larger prop.
Good call. Those things belong on 4 banger Bayliners and such that can't get on plane without some help! You can always have two props; A power prop and a top end prop.