Curious about my old boat - '84 S-Type Kaama >

Curious about my old boat - '84 S-Type Kaama

Notices

Curious about my old boat - '84 S-Type Kaama

Old 01-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Curious about my old boat - '84 S-Type Kaama

It's winter and since I cant boat, I think about boating. Got to thinking about my first boat.

I had an '84 Scarab 30 foot S-Type with what was called a "Kaama four and a quarter" setup. I bought it in 1999 from a place near Atlantic City - maybe Egg Harbor - and I think the dealership was called RPM. The name on it was "Aggravation", and the "o" in the name was a cartoon hand shooting the finger.

It had purple powder coated carbs, purple powder coated Hardin Marine (P-1000 I think) exhaust manifolds (with "Kaama" cast into the side) leading to stainless dry exhaust pipes, and purple powder coated Kaama drives. The engines were 425 hp 454s with solid lifters and 4bbl Holly carbs running and ran electric fuel pumps. The drives were swinging 17x24 four blade cleavers.

I have never seen another one set up like it, but from the way everything was done to match stem to stern, I would have to imagine it was all original. The cabin interior, cockpit and paint all matched the powdercoating.

Anyone remember this boat, know about this boat, or know of any like it? Help a freezing boater out!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

I remember when you had it for sale for 25 thousand. I wanted it always been a fan of the old S Types and yours having the Kaama package was very desirable to me.

I redid a 30 foot Formula that was a 1985 that sunk on the beach for a guy in 1987.It had the Kaama drives and had 425 Kaama motors in it.The manifolds were Gils and they had a anodized blue plate that said Kaama Marine on them where the Gil plate should have been. They had aluminum intakes with Holleys and Merc Blue valve covers.

I did not rebuild the motors i just reinstalled the 3rd set after the guy who rebuilt the 1st set after it sunk reassembled them wrong and they spun the crank bearings after an hour.

I was told the motors had good internals in them with Pink rods and they were built by Inovation Marine out of Sarasota and Kaama put their name on them.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered

Innovation sounds familiar, but like I said - it was my first boat, and I didn't know what I had. Gerhard from austria bought it and took it apart and won't tell me if he got it back together. I mean he separated the deck from the hull kinda took it apart. Worries me everytime I think about it.

Anyway - anybody know these boats?

PS - Kaama was cast into the manifolds - not a plate.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Registered

TTT - anybody???
Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Registered

Well, craps. With all the bizarre people with all the bizarre knowledge on this site, and a large number of those being in Jersey, I figured it would be interesting.

Oh well - back to winter.