Salt Water and your Boat/Trailer

Notices

Salt Water and your Boat/Trailer

Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I bring my boat home, flush both engines thoroughly with Salt-A-Way. I spend a lot of time spraying down the outdrives and making sure I get in every nook and cranny that i can see. I spray the entire trailer with special attention on the brakes.

Salt water isn't going to hurt "the hull". Salt water just doesn't play well with metals. HOWEVER, it is salt water - not ACID. Alot of the boats in our area are used exclusively in salt water and I would bet they are as clean as ANY boats in the world.
cool...thanku for the tips!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PokerRun388
thanks for the tips!
Little tip Joey Impressica once told me. Don't soap it down every time. Water will get most of the salt off. If you soap your boat down every time you're removing layers of wax. In turn, your left with more water marks and sludge marks. I soap my boat down once every 2 weeks , roughly 4 outings. Always clean and condition your interior heavily. Use two step waxes, oxidation removers followed by pure wax applications. That'll reduce the removal of wax by the soap downs. Definitely use CRC on all transom equipment. Just give your trailer a nice soap down. If it begins to age use SOS pads and a water for a quick scrub down. Makes it like new takes 30 minutes (30 foot trailer)
Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh ya when your friends tell you they will help they are BSing you!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by vette131
If you have a boxed steel painted trailer unless its sealed & pressurized, it won't last long in salt water!
I can vouch for that. The pile of crap boxed steel trailer that came with my Nordic boat started rusting the first day. All my other boats after that had aluminum I beam trailers...I'll never get anything else.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
yup...
Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
This isn't saltwater specific advice!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I can vouch for that. The pile of crap boxed steel trailer that came with my Nordic boat started rusting the first day. All my other boats after that had aluminum I beam trailers...I'll never get anything else.
My Myco boxed steel held up fine for the years i had it, but i did wash it every time it was in salt.

Tom who has Hot For Teacher still has his original Myco trailer and it also looks great.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Steel trailers suck donkey c***.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by h20 toie
My Myco boxed steel held up fine for the years i had it, but i did wash it every time it was in salt.
I was as meticulous about my trailer as I was my boat, even tried rinsing the inside from the drain holes which got about 10% of the inside box. Started rusting the first time in salt water, all the little paint chips started rusting and so did the inside of the box.

The trailer became worthless in three years, the new owner had to replace it because it barely made the trip to his house. What a pile of sh!t. NEVER AGAIN.

IT was basically a fresh water boat and trailer, both didn't like the salt, the boat from a design perspective and the trailer from a rust perspective. Live and learn.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by vette131
If you have a boxed steel painted trailer unless its sealed & pressurized, it won't last long in salt water!
+1 my boat is fine. My trailer is only 6 years old and looks 20 years old.

What else can you do with a boxed steel trailer? Just write it off as junk? How can you prevent water from entering?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.