Notices

TRS drive ?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS drive ?

Whats the best drive to swap them out with or are they ok ?
A buddy of mine is getting into boating and looking at older TG's and Scarabs and alot in his price range have TRS drives on them.
I don't know much about them but it seems that the X dim is so low on them that if you did a Konrad drive or something like that with a shorter lower he can pick up some MPH and have a stronger drive.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Konrad is the way to go, but there is nothing "wrong" with TRS's. The Konrads are big $$$$, especially when you consider the value of the boat they will be going on. I worry more about my bravos with 454's, than I did with 600hp through a TRS. There may be some speed gains, but on a big heavy 38' strait bottom, you won't be setting any speed records anyway.

Just my .02
Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

Doesn't a #2 lower bolt up?
Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock85
Doesn't a #2 lower bolt up?
Yes, but parts are rare, and it will run deeper than a TRS lower.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Speedy #2 isn't any advantage, no parts available and not stronger then the TRS. I had a heavy cigarette mistress. Had the drives set up at Speedmasters. They lasted 90 hours with almost 700 HP naturally aspirated. I sometimes see them in the swaps pretty cheap. I did grenade a lower pinion gear at 90 hours and did the Konrad conversion. I sold the boat with about 20 hours on the Konrads they were bullet proof. The Konrads were about 1.5 inches shorter in the x dimension. I picked up about 3 MPH. Good thing about Konrads is that you can run Bravo I prop, 4 blades. Boat like them. Seems to still be quite a few parts for the TRS, they are good drives, especailly on heavy rigs. You are correct, Cigarette did set them up with very conservative X dimensions. Good for rough water, but not for cranking out every last MPH. Good luck, I am sure other will chime in.

I'd say stick with the TRS unless you go bigger then 650HP. Depends on Driver and Condition of the drives now.

Last edited by cigrocket; 01-14-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

You really have to try hard to break a TRS drive.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lucky strike
You really have to try hard to break a TRS drive.
Realy they look so whimpy, His dad has some 700-750 hp 572 big blocks and Huber 1050 trans he says he will put in after a season or so, I told him just to buy a boat less power, buy some of the #5's and boxes and stuff that are for sale and put it together now. This will be his first boat in his name and insurance so he wants to keep the hp low at first so the cost is low.
How long will the TRS last with that much hp? or just do the Konrads if he puts bigger power in later.

I had the #5s on my NT, The oil was allways clean when I changed it, I took the center drive apart after I put 125 hours on it, don't know how much time they had total. Everything looked so good I just put it back and ran it, never had a drive problem. For under 900 hp it's hard to beat the #5.

Last edited by LapseofReason; 01-14-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Registered

Talking

konrads, talk to kurt= biggus on here he works for them. I love mine so far, but its still in the box but not for long. I have a single 572 blown gellner power.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:58 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

TRS drives stock are good to about 550hp as long as you are conservative coming out of the hole on a heavy boat or don't cavitate the prop and chatter the gears apart. I have only ever blown 1 of them and I have had a lot. The one I blew was on my 311 and it was because I was overproped and cavitated them by overtrimming to get every last MPH out of the boat.

If you go Konrad then you can run up to 800hp. I think that the conversions run in the 10-14K each range depending on HP but I will let Biggus know about this thread and hope he can respond in more detail. Some will say that to convert over to Bravo is cheaper, but IMO is the wrong way to go. First of all it takes a lot of work, pull the motors, glass the transome, paint, move motors back..... HUGE project. Konrad they show up you unbolt the old drive, change the bell housing and done. If you buy the complete kit then you unbolt your transome assembly from inside and push it off and slide in the new one. Done in a day! It really is the way to go.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
TRS drives stock are good to about 550hp as long as you are conservative coming out of the hole on a heavy boat or don't cavitate the prop and chatter the gears apart. I have only ever blown 1 of them and I have had a lot. The one I blew was on my 311 and it was because I was overproped and cavitated them by overtrimming to get every last MPH out of the boat.

If you go Konrad then you can run up to 800hp. I think that the conversions run in the 10-14K each range depending on HP but I will let Biggus know about this thread and hope he can respond in more detail. Some will say that to convert over to Bravo is cheaper, but IMO is the wrong way to go. First of all it takes a lot of work, pull the motors, glass the transome, paint, move motors back..... HUGE project. Konrad they show up you unbolt the old drive, change the bell housing and done. If you buy the complete kit then you unbolt your transome assembly from inside and push it off and slide in the new one. Done in a day! It really is the way to go.
x2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.